What do you do in your spare time?

Can beat the auld blue tooth earpiece. Few of us do be chatting , farmers , diggerman , hedgecutters all in same boat .working on own.
Chat away , no holding phones etc so no distractions while working away.get to hear the craic , stories and pure lies.
BT always said it was good to talk.

Can beat the auld blue tooth earpiece. Few of us do be chatting , farmers , diggerman , hedgecutters all in same boat .working on own.
Chat away , no holding phones etc so no distractions while working away.get to hear the craic , stories and pure lies.
BT always said it was good to talk.
Lad who drives a dumper in a quarry rang me a while back,I was on for over an hour,he said at one point “just wait a minute I’ll hide me phone,I’m going past the cameras” 😂he’d be better off with an earpiece.

A few months ago the local macra club asked me would I host them for a farm walk. They are trying to get the club back going and were trying to organise farm walks covering dairy,beef,tillage and sheep. I decided to do the beef walk. It also gave me the incentive to give the yard a bit of a tidy up. They were all with the walk and invited me to attend the other walks and other events that they were having. So far I've gone with them to play footgolf and another day to tayto park. They would'nt be places that I would go myself normally so it was something different to me.
Aside from that I was involved with setting up a vintage club but covid stopped it before it before it really got started so once the rescritions lifted the pressure was on to organise a road run and re launch the club. It was a learning curve for me between organising insurance and planning out the run but thankfully a few of the macra members volanteered to help out with registering vehicles and serving out tea and sandwhichs and anything that needed it to be done.
Last year when we were all in lockdown all I really did in my spare time was look at tv and netflix. Now that rescritions are lifting I intend to go more places and do different things.

I understand where the op is coming from there isn’t really much to do in my spare time in my locality either. I am young myself and to be honest all I really do in my pastime now days is go on here or watch Farmer Phil on YouTube or rare breed on the telly with the folks at home in the sitting room. The plan is from next weekend onwards to buy some gym weights to use in my spare time as it’s good for both mental/physical strengthning so I’m told.
Really I just want to start visiting more places up the country as I think nothing is as peaceful as a lovely nature walk in some scenic part of the country in my eyes, also want so start visiting some friends up the country as I haven’t seen them in a long time and would be great to catch up.
Also hope to travel abroad a few times next year to embrace foreign culture and see how people live their life abroad/farm.. on this note herself has booked a holiday for 4 days in Amsterdam one of the weeks leading up to Christmas , which I am looking forward to visiting the famous Ice bar and doing a bit of touring and also enjoying a few Cold beers. I don’t really drink as much if at all now days as the novelty has wore of drinking every night and dying the next day of a terrible hangover and I’m trying to get my priorities in order as I’m hoping to go out and rent my own farm next winter if all is going good financially… sorry to drag this out i actually didn’t intend it too as much :blushing:

I’d say if you were a single young farmer the likes of macra would be ideal, even if your own local one isn’t much good could you join another ? I was never in macra but been in the whats app groups a few times and they seem to make a serious effort in my local one.

I’d say if you were a single young farmer the likes of macra would be ideal, even if your own local one isn’t much good could you join another ? I was never in macra but been in the whats app groups a few times and they seem to make a serious effort in my local one.
Yeah you can join what ever club you want, I joined Macra years ago but not the club nearest to me as all they were good for was talking about people. I joined another club where everyone was up for the craic , I had a fantastic time and made lifelong friends.

A few months ago the local macra club asked me would I host them for a farm walk. They are trying to get the club back going and were trying to organise farm walks covering dairy,beef,tillage and sheep. I decided to do the beef walk. It also gave me the incentive to give the yard a bit of a tidy up. They were all with the walk and invited me to attend the other walks and other events that they were having. So far I've gone with them to play footgolf and another day to tayto park. They would'nt be places that I would go myself normally so it was something different to me.
Aside from that I was involved with setting up a vintage club but covid stopped it before it before it really got started so once the rescritions lifted the pressure was on to organise a road run and re launch the club. It was a learning curve for me between organising insurance and planning out the run but thankfully a few of the macra members volanteered to help out with registering vehicles and serving out tea and sandwhichs and anything that needed it to be done.
Last year when we were all in lockdown all I really did in my spare time was look at tv and netflix. Now that rescritions are lifting I intend to go more places and do different things.
I ve met some great people through Macra and traveled to places I would never have got to see otherwise.
Years ago my friend was looking after his neighbours place when neighbour gone on holidays , house sitting and driving around in yer man's brand new Land cruiser .
There was a big farm walk on so my man picked me up in the new jeep , when we drove in every second lad was saluting us...
Jaysus says my man, they must think we're big farmers swanning around in this yoke , and not an acre between us!!!

Last edited:
Yeah you can join what ever club you want, I joined Macra years ago but not the club nearest to me as all they were good for was talking about people. I joined another club where everyone was up for the craic , I had a fantastic time and made lifelong friends.
That’s all they were good for in my locality too, talk about ya when ur not there and try befriend ya when your there some lads are slippery as my house patio on a wet winters day :sweatdrop:

Back in our day Peter , in macra we made great use of the cross border peace funds open to the border areas.
It was to open to all to help and build friendship across the religious divides.
We got a few of these allocations.met up with a few YFC groups in the north and they were able to come back down to us this side.not sure if the YFC was a qute as us but we managed our costs on on away visit to such an extent that we had enough to cover diesel and alcoholic refreshments .We were in Derry and Belfast but we couldn't believe that everywhere was shut by 1.30am , it was just like breakfast time for us.yfcs couldnt believe when they were down that bars was serving for hours later......
Another trip we got funded for through the leader groups was a " study trip " to Austria to study renewable alternative energies " for think it was for 4 or 5 days.macra was a great way to make new friends all over the country.
Theirs funding for alot of these things or was anyways if they were " study trips "
We did learn alot from these......how to have a good time at very little cost 😁

I would have thought the only swinging you'd be interested in at your age would be the starting handle on a high Major

Fred was to come and try recussitate that . Fairly sure the last time it was running was 1974 .

God loves a tryer , but hates a chancer.

I understand where the op is coming from there isn’t really much to do in my spare time in my locality either. I am young myself and to be honest all I really do in my pastime now days is go on here or watch Farmer Phil on YouTube or rare breed on the telly with the folks at home in the sitting room. The plan is from next weekend onwards to buy some gym weights to use in my spare time as it’s good for both mental/physical strengthning so I’m told.
Really I just want to start visiting more places up the country as I think nothing is as peaceful as a lovely nature walk in some scenic part of the country in my eyes, also want so start visiting some friends up the country as I haven’t seen them in a long time and would be great to catch up.
Also hope to travel abroad a few times next year to embrace foreign culture and see how people live their life abroad/farm.. on this note herself has booked a holiday for 4 days in Amsterdam one of the weeks leading up to Christmas , which I am looking forward to visiting the famous Ice bar and doing a bit of touring and also enjoying a few Cold beers. I don’t really drink as much if at all now days as the novelty has wore of drinking every night and dying the next day of a terrible hangover and I’m trying to get my priorities in order as I’m hoping to go out and rent my own farm next winter if all is going good financially… sorry to drag this out i actually didn’t intend it too as much :blushing:
Just on the weights maybe look to join a local gym or fitness class like Crossfit you'll get to meet people plus in a class you have the motivation to go there more than if at home. I've done both always preferred going somewhere to train

Back