What do you think of these people ?

I have to admit before I watched the series on TV recently, I always thought they were a little strange, I admired their use of horses immensely, I know that shows how shallow and miss informed I was, but I now have to say, they have my utmost respect, what amazing strength of character, I also didnt know they were of German decent.
When they do their barn raising, it just shows how a commumity can work together.
I would quite like to spend some time with an Amish community, as their youngsters spent time in ours.
Yes, I have nothing but respect for them:thumbup1:

I have to admit before I watched the series on TV recently, I always thought they were a little strange, I admired their use of horses immensely, I know that shows how shallow and miss informed I was, but I now have to say, they have my utmost respect, what amazing strength of character, I also didnt know they were of German decent.
When they do their barn raising, it just shows how a commumity can work together.
I would quite like to spend some time with an Amish community, as their youngsters spent time in ours.
Yes, I have nothing but respect for them:thumbup1:

I think the rest of us could learn a lot from them :yes:

yep, looks like a nice peacefull way of going, wouldnt suit all but it has its advantages im sure.
different strokes for different folks.

Thank you Elaine,
Trust you to lower the tone (but it was v. funny)

I haven't seen the series mentioned (no telly) but I did see the film Witness with Harrison Ford.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wo_VSc9iyc

Whilst the cities would starve if we all worked at that pace... They could teach us a lot about family values and community spirit. I wouldn't spend long grieving if we had to go back to that type of farming, I wouldn't have time to.

I am there allready:001_rolleyes: perhaps thats it, kindred spirits:laugh:

Thank you Elaine,
Trust you to lower the tone (but it was v. funny)

I haven't seen the series mentioned (no telly) but I did see the film Witness with Harrison Ford.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wo_VSc9iyc

Whilst the cities would starve if we all worked at that pace... They could teach us a lot about family values and community spirit. I wouldn't spend long grieving if we had to go back to that type of farming, I wouldn't have time to.

I dont think they would horse power ruled longer than tractor power

I dont think they would horse power ruled longer than tractor power

As I'm sure you are only too well aware there are a lot more mouths to feed now and all the old skills are dead or dying.
How long would it take to breed break and train enough horses to feed the nation today? and who would have the skill to do it? and how much grass would have to be set aside for hay?

As I'm sure you are only too well aware there are a lot more mouths to feed now and all the old skills are dead or dying.
How long would it take to breed break and train enough horses to feed the nation today? and who would have the skill to do it? and how much grass would have to be set aside for hay?

Im not saying that its a viable way of farming now but they get there work done in season the same as we used to when all we had was horses , i just admire them realy for doing it ! I know of a man in northumberland who farms with horses only they call hi the last horse man i dont know how many acres he has but the family are full time farmers and have no other income ,they seem do do as well as the rest of us and all there work is done in season the same as everyone elses indeed probably quicker than the odd few who have tractors

Im not saying that its a viable way of farming now but they get there work done in season the same as we used to when all we had was horses , i just admire them realy for doing it ! I know of a man in northumberland who farms with horses only they call hi the last horse man i dont know how many acres he has but the family are full time farmers and have no other income ,they seem do do as well as the rest of us and all there work is done in season the same as everyone elses indeed probably quicker than the odd few who have tractors

Is it the chap they did a series on tv about a few years ago:001_unsure:
may not be the same chap.

[YOUTUBE]2wGra0o15hY[/YOUTUBE]

Is it the chap they did a series on tv about a few years ago:001_unsure:
may not be the same chap.

[YOUTUBE]2wGra0o15hY[/YOUTUBE]

Yes thats him , i dont old john but i do know dave i spoke with him at kelso ram sales , they were buying rams the same as everyone else , dave used to work on another farm that was very mordern so he knows both sides , he must prefer the horses :yes:tis a great way to live i think , dont think i could do it though :no: but you never know if they take the sfp away i might have to along with everyone else !:laugh:

Yes thats him , i dont old john but i do know dave i spoke with him at kelso ram sales , they were buying rams the same as everyone else , dave used to work on another farm that was very mordern so he knows both sides , he must prefer the horses :yes:tis a great way to live i think , dont think i could do it though :no: but you never know if they take the sfp away i might have to along with everyone else !:laugh:
what connection is dave to john?
is he married to johns daughter or is he just a blow in.
he didnt say in the video so i was just curious.

Amish

I was there a couple of years back and had a day on one of their farms . Struck me as being workers , but quite prepared to bend things just a little bit as far as money was concerned . They had a milking machine and a bit of barn machinery coupled up to a water wheel - seemed to work OK . They get a bit upset if you look directly at them , and where money is concerned they import outside labour to actually handle the stuff , so as not to compromise their beliefs . They were actually cultivating with a team of 8 mules , and there was a land drive muck spreader in the shed , all mule powered . Fairly sure it will all change before too long , a lot of the teenage youths had abandoned the horsey bit , and gone into town to work as mechanics , and owning 4wd motors. Excellent cooks and caterers too , their "shoo- fly " pie was a sweet to savour . Enjoyed it all greatly BD

what connection is dave to john?
is he married to johns daughter or is he just a blow in.
he didnt say in the video so i was just curious.

dave married johns daughter and seems to have taken to there way of life like a duck to water

I was there a couple of years back and had a day on one of their farms . Struck me as being workers , but quite prepared to bend things just a little bit as far as money was concerned . They had a milking machine and a bit of barn machinery coupled up to a water wheel - seemed to work OK . They get a bit upset if you look directly at them , and where money is concerned they import outside labour to actually handle the stuff , so as not to compromise their beliefs . They were actually cultivating with a team of 8 mules , and there was a land drive muck spreader in the shed , all mule powered . Fairly sure it will all change before too long , a lot of the teenage youths had abandoned the horsey bit , and gone into town to work as mechanics , and owning 4wd motors. Excellent cooks and caterers too , their "shoo- fly " pie was a sweet to savour . Enjoyed it all greatly BD

I think if they change it will be a big loss , there is a tremendos level of skill there and to loose that would be a real shame

What is "shoo -fly pie" BD?

Do I recall that was a line from an old song:001_unsure: it will come to me I am sure

Very easy to play on guitar as well. Only three chords: - C, G7 and G. You could slip in an F if you really wanted to embellish it a little.

I remember the other, similar song.

'When i was young i used to wait
upon my master at his plate
he (something or other) and used to cry
and brush away the bluetail fly

Jimmy crack corn and i don't care,
Jimmy crack corn and i don't care
Jimmy crack corn and i don't care
my master's gone away'.

I couldn't give a toss, either.

Back