What I did this Week to make Farming safer .

Made one up with a short section of a shovel handle, cut a slot in it with the saw and bolted in a section in the middle, it works perfect without needing sharpening at all(it was a new section lying on the shelf for the last 20years so maybe an old one will need a sharpen)! We bolted a bit of tubing onto the back of the spreader that it slides into and is held with a small Bungy strap, always to hand that way!

I think I need to modify my design so, and split the pipe that I squeezed together and put the section in the slot. :Thumbp2:

The sprayer water tank is very high so a walkway was welded in .There is a ballcock to go on the top of this tank and I might put in a float to show how much water is in it . It will be accessed from the stairs up to the diesel tank . The railings again the wall just happened to be welded to the walkway and sure if the wall falls down the railing will still be there :rolleyes2:.

2B8E414C-0EE6-4DCD-B669-4FD42AD40918.jpg

30D52E58-02E0-4CE5-84A8-5170A55A8BE3.jpg

D7EFBB4E-5C96-49EB-AE81-9B4152E7E39F.jpg

Good to see you labelled the water tank bogman. When I worked in England many years ago a builder used 'water' from a liquid fertiliser tank to mix concrete. I never did find out how the concrete set!

How do you fill sprayer is it gravity fed from tank, pumped in or sucked in?. If not the later what way do you indict chemicals?

We have had Ibc on pallets flowing into half barrel and sucking from this for years but last year got rid of that, left all at ground level and suck straight out of each one. Much safer and easier. Going to link the ibcs together and add ballcock to one of them.

How do you fill sprayer is it gravity fed from tank, pumped in or sucked in?. If not the later what way do you indict chemicals?

We have had Ibc on pallets flowing into half barrel and sucking from this for years but last year got rid of that, left all at ground level and suck straight out of each one. Much safer and easier. Going to link the ibcs together and add ballcock to one of them.
We have the Sucker hose connected to the tank and a lever valve at the tank . On the sprayer there is an automatic cutoff valve . So I just key in whatever liters I want start her pumping and it shuts off and an alarm sounds when it has reached the desired liters . When it is filling you can rinse the cans with clean water . There are no problems with priming the pump which we had when we were pumping out of the top of a tank .

Sorry about the rotation of the pic, can't seem to get it right on phone.
We fenced this deep drain a year or so ago to prevent children or adults falling in. It can be almost full with water during winter time. It's on the side of a farm passage.

Chain link wire 4ft high. Galvanise pipes driven 3ft into the ground make great long term posts. Holes drilled in the pipes to take the straight wires.
I'd never forgive myself if somebody drowned.WP_20170413_16_06_51_Pro.jpg

Can anyone recommend a good mask to wear when using a knapsack?
Anything with a carbon filter (usually replacable ) will do. Your local hardware / co-op or machinery dealer will no doubt have them. Don't waste your time with paper masks. They are for dust and particles .

I got a carbon filter for the tractor this year. Cost €80 which I thought was reasonable enough.

Picked up the hayknife a few weeks ago, did think it was expensive at the time but in fairness now i have it well worth it, for opening the net wrap on the sliage bale over the round feeders and the big bags of fertilizer. if nothing else it saves walking around to open the second bag or taking the shortcut under the loader

Attachments

• Snapchat-946859957.jpg
    Snapchat-946859957.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 67
This week our Buyers group organised a Safety Course that was compliant with TAMS . After the first twenty minutes I thought the biggest danger was that I would die of boredom . As the instructor got into it I saw that you have to look at safety in the overall context . Why was an older man handling a bull ? because the bull had inadvertently got separated from the cows thus putting the farmer and the bull in close proximity . I think how we react when something goes wrong and something turns from a normal safe working enviroment to one where the risk has to be assessed and managed .
He went through a lot of statistics and the one that stuck out was the near doubling of deaths by cows from the period 1996 --2006 and from 2006 to 2015 . The question was have cows become more dangerous ? or are farmers nearer to the cows in the first month because calves have to be tagged dehorned vacinated .

This week our Buyers group organised a Safety Course that was compliant with TAMS . After the first twenty minutes I thought the biggest danger was that I would die of boredom . As the instructor got into it I saw that you have to look at safety in the overall context . Why was an older man handling a bull ? because the bull had inadvertently got separated from the cows thus putting the farmer and the bull in close proximity . I think how we react when something goes wrong and something turns from a normal safe working enviroment to one where the risk has to be assessed and managed .
He went through a lot of statistics and the one that stuck out was the near doubling of deaths by cows from the period 1996 --2006 and from 2006 to 2015 . The question was have cows become more dangerous ? or are farmers nearer to the cows in the first month because calves have to be tagged dehorned vacinated .
Was there any information on the age of the people killed?

Just to add to the last few lines surely it also has something in relation to the amount of stock/work that one person is looking after oppose to a number of years ago and fatigue is a huge cause.
If a farmer goes into a field full of bulling heifers cows were there is a bull present and gets attacked is this an accident or stupidity on the farmers behalf. If i am ever doing that i always know where he is,stay well away and know were the closet dike is.
Cant link it but there was something on the journal about a farmer in kerry who fell into a tanks and luckily survived it would make u think something simple like a mobile to distract you

Just to add to the last few lines surely it also has something in relation to the amount of stock/work that one person is looking after oppose to a number of years ago and fatigue is a huge cause.
If a farmer goes into a field full of bulling heifers cows were there is a bull present and gets attacked is this an accident or stupidity on the farmers behalf. If i am ever doing that i always know where he is,stay well away and know were the closet dike is.
Cant link it but there was something on the journal about a farmer in kerry who fell into a tanks and luckily survived it would make u think something simple like a mobile to distract you
I find myself lately in a rush and panic trying to get true things. Every job comes in at once and has time be done before the weather breaks or something. I've often gone true days and sat down at night and said to myself, Jesus I should have done that differently. I think as farmers we need to just stop looking at the watch nd the weather focus on the job at hand and do it safely. My approach from now on is take a breath and survey what is happening or could happen around you and plan it then. That lad that fell in to the tank left the manhole cover open that day and he ended up in it that evening. Now is that neglect or stupidity?

Got a skip and gave the place a good tidy. My poor father was trying to keep up checking what all was being dumped!! Hopefully won't be tripping over stuff for a while.
That was one of my first jobs here when I took over in 09 my second was to call in the scrap merchant and weigh in a sh1t load of old plough that were twisted transport boxes that were worn out and broken among other old worn out implements.. the parents nearly had a heart attack when they seen this going on but when they could see how much safer and tidier the place was they admitted they should have done it years ago.

WP_20170613_17_21_28_Pro.jpg Bought a few pairs of proper gloves for spraying. Previous were a bit lighter and only reached half way between wrist and elbow. These are gauntlets and go all the way to the elbow. Better fit and feel a bit stronger. About €6 a pair.

I fitted an new driveshaft cover to a machine the other day it was saucy enough 160 euro I think.
Anyway its cheaper than loosing a limb.
However there a bit of a pig to fit at times.
I wonder should there be some sort of grant or as part of your payments all gaurds need to be in place.
Take the shaft to the local garage and the fitting cost is covered by some sort of scheme.
You would see more Machines without gaurds now than with them

I fitted an new driveshaft cover to a machine the other day it was saucy enough 160 euro I think.
Anyway its cheaper than loosing a limb.
However there a bit of a pig to fit at times.
I wonder should there be some sort of grant or as part of your payments all gaurds need to be in place.
Take the shaft to the local garage and the fitting cost is covered by some sort of scheme.
You would see more Machines without gaurds now than with them
I Think it;s a good idea that machines must be fully guarded or you risk being penalised by the from of your SFP if they're not! But i don't see why anyone should be given a grant for anything like that, The responsibility is on no one but the farmer to make sure the farm is a safe working environment for himself, his family and his workforce if there is one. Do any other businesses get subsidised to do so? and penalties are much stricter for failure to comply also

Back