What I did this Week to make Farming safer .

An element of safety improvement as well as making life easier today.
Went round with a can of silver spray paint I had about. And sprayed the Euro hooks and eyes on all the loader implements.
Simply too make them stand out for easier hitching on dark mornings. And even in bright low sunshine.
Screenshot_20180126-141820.png

Took all of 10 minuites. Had the can left over from another project or else some white gloss would have had the job.

I splashed out on a new trousers and a bit of footwear etc, should have done it years ago and know a few people that are lucky to be alive from chainsaw accidents, I don't use one too often but that doesn't make the risk any less.View attachment 51665
did the same last september they are heavy pants though i need to get a pair of braces for them the belt wasn'tgreat with my fat arse

I splashed out on a new trousers and a bit of footwear etc, should have done it years ago and know a few people that are lucky to be alive from chainsaw accidents, I don't use one too often but that doesn't make the risk any less.

Been wearing chaps and hat since the first day I used a chainsaw, would be the very odd occasion where I'm using a saw for non firewood tasks (cutting a beam or something) that I wouldnt have the pants on.

makes cutting timber in the summer torture, but on the flipside I cut timber after christmas at -1 and couldnt have been happier. (me arse was frozen though)

Interested in how you get on with the boots, my mrs has a pair but hates them, says they weigh a ton. I'd always wear steels but there is a protection gap between the toe and the bottom of the pants.

Is there anywhere online for a template for farm safety statment ? I need to have one done up for the bord bia inspection . But in general i want one on hand aswell to have if ever needed

An element of safety improvement as well as making life easier today.
Went round with a can of silver spray paint I had about. And sprayed the Euro hooks and eyes on all the loader implements.
Simply too make them stand out for easier hitching on dark mornings. And even in bright low sunshine.
View attachment 50991

Took all of 10 minuites. Had the can left over from another project or else some white gloss would have had the job.

Have mine done with hi vis paint its a gr8 job

Is there anywhere online for a template for farm safety statment ? I need to have one done up for the bord bia inspection . But in general i want one on hand aswell to have if ever needed
Go on the health and safety site they have templates there

I think it’s besmart.ie, recognized by the Hsa . Very easy fill out compared the Hsa own one

Been wearing chaps and hat since the first day I used a chainsaw, would be the very odd occasion where I'm using a saw for non firewood tasks (cutting a beam or something) that I wouldnt have the pants on.

makes cutting timber in the summer torture, but on the flipside I cut timber after christmas at -1 and couldnt have been happier. (me arse was frozen though)

Interested in how you get on with the boots, my mrs has a pair but hates them, says they weigh a ton. I'd always wear steels but there is a protection gap between the toe and the bottom of the pants.
It was the first thing that struck me was the weight of the boot, I asked about work boot type and they were crazy money for something I'd use 3-4 times a year in winter so went with the wellie type, I'll leave the trousers outside so wont end up with a boot full of sawdust..

Planning on picking up a bare-co PTO cover at the weekend.
Atkins have their 23% VAT amount off again, might be of interest to some.

_20180402_124635.JPG

I have just completed an 18 hour first aid course . I had being meaning to do it for the last couple of years but it never happened and i finally go around to it six weeks ago . It covered CPR and defibrillators ,choking , bandages , and slings . The course cost €345 which was a bit steep but I think it is compulsory for some workplaces .

First Aid Response or FAR is PHECC's newest education and training standard. It's a foundation first aid course that trains course participants to provide first aid for a person who becomes suddenly unwell or injured until the arrival of emergency medical services.

I have just completed an 18 hour first aid course . I had being meaning to do it for the last couple of years but it never happened and i finally go around to it six weeks ago . It covered CPR and defibrillators ,choking , bandages , and slings . The course cost €345 which was a bit steep but I think it is compulsory for some workplaces .

First Aid Response or FAR is PHECC's newest education and training standard. It's a foundation first aid course that trains course participants to provide first aid for a person who becomes suddenly unwell or injured until the arrival of emergency medical services.

Fair play to you. The number of employees and the nature of the workplace determines the number of first responders. Every farm is a workplace and should have someone who is trained I think.

This is Farm Safety week so bumping this thread up.

Very important too as the next few weeks will see lots of activity on many farms.
Some people will never improve their attitude to safety, this week I saw a man mixing slurry with a whisk type agitator on a tractor with no handbrake, he would rev it to the point that the whisk was creating enough push to stop the tractor running downslope then get out and place a piece of timber infront and behind one wheel, absolute madness. just up the road another lad sucking slurry with an unguarded PTO shaft.

Some people will never improve their attitude to safety, this week I saw a man mixing slurry with a whisk type agitator on a tractor with no handbrake, he would rev it to the point that the whisk was creating enough push to stop the tractor running downslope then get out and place a piece of timber infront and behind one wheel, absolute madness. just up the road another lad sucking slurry with an unguarded PTO shaft.
In those lads cases there's more than a handbrake and a pto guard missing....grey cells too.

We are making up a platform and rails for filling seed into the Air seeder. I also got a roll of tape with a grip on it and have put some on places where I step eg where I stand when plugging in the lights on the Horsch also the Roof of the combine and a couple of places on tractors where I stand when adjusting mirrors and Beacons .
C71EA212-7657-49A9-8926-52C8E3FAEDB7.jpeg 29673329-1AC3-485A-84E6-3D6654AE52DE.jpeg A9BC627D-F27C-4BFC-88B8-AD2CEF194C5E.jpeg

Fine job lad.

Curious how the dipping goes, is it a problem to dip something already galvanized?

Back