What I did this Week to make Farming safer .

Do you need any door?

If the row is full no more can come in and if they're being milked they're unlikely to leave.

I'd say ditch the door and do a bit of training with them

This is the back of my milking parlour where the cows come in, it's an open yard outside, but I have to go up the steps and pull back the door manually and then the cows come flying in and then when they r in a put a chain on behind then but the point I am making is it's very dangerous doing this can any 1 reccomend something I could do with this so I dont have to be going out and standing in front of the cows when they are comming in ?
stick something like this in maybe might be a quick fix to see how it would work https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/anti-backing-bars-for-crush/21485453

All you need is a bar (pipe) that’s hinged off the top bar on the rump rail . Bar swings up cows come in last cow in swing the bar down . Simple handle on the pit side for you to use to move the bar .
This is the back of my milking parlour where the cows come in, it's an open yard outside, but I have to go up the steps and pull back the door manually and then the cows come flying in and then when they r in a put a chain on behind then but the point I am making is it's very dangerous doing this can any 1 reccomend something I could do with this so I dont have to be going out and standing in front of the cows when they are comming in ?

Well the thing is John boy that when the last cow is in if she is any way big her arse is sticking out the door (back of parlour) and the cluster is all out to get it on her so yes I could do without the door but it is handy to keep the parlour closed off from birds etc so then I have to go out to put on a chain on to push her in a bit .
Yes haniman similar only in that video he has loads of room behind the cows, where when mine are in I dont think I could even get that bar down behind the last cow it's very tight ..

Is the wall holding up the roof or just keeping out the weather?

If it's not structural knock it down, cantilever a sheet or two of roof over the yard and extend the pipework just a bit. Don't go adding clusters, just give yourself a bit more working room.

If you can't lose the wall because it's holding up the roof, and you need the thickness of the wall to accomdate the wider lady so you can't mount a backing bar inside, and you want to keep the door for weatherproofing then your options are limited.

A sliding door might help, but don't use it like the guy in that video, he's asking for a broken wrist/hand someday.

Or you automate the swinging door but that strikes me as an expensive solution to a simple problem

You could set some sort of a cage outside that you stand in like you would see in a mart ring.

That's it in a nutshell johnboy . Ya it is a sliding door we have but its sliding on the outside. I was thinking that too about the lad in the video .
We have a cage made up outside so we can open the door but we still have to cross in front of the cows to put on the chain otherwise they can be up against the door there back leg would almost be sticking out into the yard if we didn't put on the chain if ye know what I mean .

Attachments

• 20191212_090801.jpg
    20191212_090801.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 57
That's it in a nutshell johnboy . Ya it is a sliding door we have but its sliding on the outside. I was thinking that too about the lad in the video .
We have a cage made up outside so we can open the door but we still have to cross in front of the cows to put on the chain otherwise they can be up against the door there back leg would almost be sticking out into the yard if we didn't put on the chain if ye know what I mean .

It looks to me like there was 1 or 2 units added to the machine , but the stall work wasnt extended , to facilitate the extra cows.

I have the same sliding door arrangement, and a chain to keep up cows. Sometimes I dont put across the chain , and get on ok .
I dont have any bother shutting the door across to stop "extra " cows coming in . I usually stand at the back of the pit up , on top, when letting in cows . It's easier counting the cows as they pass by ., and knowing when to shut across the door.

My doors are inside . Are yours outside ? That's the problem if they are .
I can think of a lot more serious problems to be honest .

Used to work in a parlour the same. Sliding door on the outside, chain round the last cow. Never had an issue stopping cows coming through the door. Are your cows really that bad mannered?

2 ideas in my head, could you put a handle off the front edge of the door then back along the inside of the wall so that you can open and close it from inside, so basically in the drawing the door is the white line, green the wall and blue the handle?0053780F-F541-477E-8659-1184B47EA738.jpegThe other thing I’m thinking is if there’s a gap between the door and the wall could you put a swing down bar on the outer edge of the wall and knock/drill a hole in through the wall and again bring the handle inside to where you are in the pit, that way you don’t have to be out in the yard with the cows?

Well it's when you have to.come out of the cage to close the door and put on the chain is where a lad is going to get caught. Yes drew that is not a bad idea and just might work thanks all

Getting up and down on trailers for shifting seed bags and the crooks on big bags was not the most pleasant task and potentially dangerous.

So a few hours today with a scrap round feeder (I had a collection of them) came up with this. It might be a bit rough and ready but does the job, is light and when finished off will hang neatly and securely on the front of the trailer at this time of the year.

20200317_144200.jpg 20200317_160240.jpg 20200317_160258.jpg

It will be strengthened where the two indents are in it currently.

Getting up and down on trailers for shifting seed bags and the crooks on big bags was not the most pleasant task and potentially dangerous.

So a few hours today with a scrap round feeder (I had a collection of them) came up with this. It might be a bit rough and ready but does the job, is light and when finished off will hang neatly and securely on the front of the trailer at this time of the year.

View attachment 75274 View attachment 75275 View attachment 75276

It will be strengthened where the two indents are in it currently.
I told you to buy a hook lift it gets over that problem.

Well it's when you have to.come out of the cage to close the door and put on the chain is where a lad is going to get caught. Yes drew that is not a bad idea and just might work thanks all
Could you put a rope high on the door to a central point where you stand in the cage to pull the door closed.
Then when you come in if you had the chain hanging on the nearest of the upright poles could you reach it from the steps inthepit.

Sorry for pulling this back up but I got rejected today for tams for one of these. The reason they gave me was the value didn’t reach the minimum value of €2000. :scratchhead:
Apply for two of them, this works. You only need to buy one then, but check this out with a paid advisor.

Back