What is urea?

rodders

I know it’s probably a stupid question but what kind of fertiliser is urea and when is it used? Is it better to be used for grazing or mowing?

I know it’s probably a stupid question but what kind of fertiliser is urea and when is it used? Is it better to be used for grazing or mowing?
Urea is a form of Nitrogen, it is in sweat and urine, it is a good fert in cool damp times, but if it is very dry, very bright or if there is free lime on the ground it is very easy to lose some of it.
There is now a protectant that makes Urea much more reliable and simpler to get best out of.

Urea is a form of Nitrogen, it is in sweat and urine, it is a good fert in cool damp times, but if it is very dry, very bright or if there is free lime on the ground it is very easy to lose some of it.
There is now a protectant that makes Urea much more reliable and simpler to get best out of.
I dont believe it's as bad as they make out for volatilisation
Ive used it in the summer with no issues,just pick a wet day

How dry is too dry for spreading non protected urea? Will a night of heavy dew melt it into useable product for grass?

how many mm is needed so ,eg 2mm etc or more would you think
It will still work to an extent with the bit of heavy dew, but with the price of it then I'd expect most will be looking to get the most out of it, so you'd want a good bit of rain in my opinion, more than 2mm for certain I think, otherwise some of the good of it will be lost in the air. I thought ye were never short of rain in Leitrim anyways?!

I wouldn't dream of even opening a bag of non protected urea this time of yr.
Its a very different sub climate though. Ground is still relatively wet around here. If you walk through meadow here before 11am you'll be soaked to the skin from the dew.

Its a very different sub climate though. Ground is still relatively wet around here. If you walk through meadow here before 11am you'll be soaked to the skin from the dew.
I'd still be weary if it be enough doh to remove some of the risk. You getting much sun?

I'd still be weary if it be enough doh to remove some of the risk. You getting much sun?
today is an absolute cracker of a hay making day, wind heat and sun,just the soil is to damp to make hay on with the moisture rising,a month of this would be lovely,but I going to get it for a week now anyways

today is an absolute cracker of a hay making day, wind heat and sun,just the soil is to damp to make hay on with the moisture rising,a month of this would be lovely,but I going to get it for a week now anyways
Was always told and even in collage if spreading urea to spread on cloudy misty conditions almost. I know we get a dew and ground be still damp but it the sun will do the harm to it

We get really heavy dew here. I wonder if it is enough without rain to remove risk of volitisation?
I’ve never bothered in the past,you can see the colour change in the grass so it must have worked.

Volatisation is nowhere near as bad as made out,mainly bullshit started by opposition manufacturers.

Was always told and even in collage if spreading urea to spread on cloudy misty conditions almost. I know we get a dew and ground be still damp but it the sun will do the harm to it
if you had a light cover of grass,eg after slurry and it had greened over ,will the sun have as much an effect on say compared to say on bare ground,baking hot sun wouldn't do any fertiliser much good on bare ground probably

if you had a light cover of grass,eg after slurry and it had greened over ,will the sun have as much an effect on say compared to say on bare ground,baking hot sun wouldn't do any fertiliser much good on bare ground probably
Have never tried it tbh. We pull the plug with urea late Feb early march.

Back