What sprayer

johndeere6920s

Could badly do with upgrading the sprayer.
I never use it but the old man does it all and the amount were doing gets bigger every year.
What would 4-5k buy? Anything half decent? Something around 1000 litres folding booms but doesn't need to be wide.
World and all of 3-4 acre fields around here you spend more time folding booms than you do spraying.
Hardi or berthoud are the best are they?.

Should be pleanty in that budget over here.
Mate of mine wanted a used 18m. He could find a world of mounted hydraulic ones in good condition with rate controllers for a few k.
Seems the big boys want 24m+ and small farms want 12m. Meaning ones in the middle are cheap.

Mostly berthoud around us, we have a 15 metre with hydraulic booms and never gave a days bother, keep them clean and under cover and you won't have any problems.

The biggest weakness with both Hardi and Berthoud is the booms. If you get a fresh one that was minded and look after it yourself you shouldn't have any trouble but you'll pay handsomely for it. If I was buying a mounted sprayer in the morning I'd be looking at a Case/Gem or a Knight, either would have stronger booms and offer better value in a 2nd-hand in my opinion.

We had a Mack 10 with hydraulic booms and it was not fresh or minded and it gave great service. A nearby contractor has one for doing paddocks and he would fill at our tank and it gives no bother .

Should be pleanty in that budget over here.
Mate of mine wanted a used 18m. He could find a world of mounted hydraulic ones in good condition with rate controllers for a few k.
Seems the big boys want 24m+ and small farms want 12m. Meaning ones in the middle are cheap.
agreed we bought a second 18m knight this yr in and around the budget mentioned ours is trailed ,

Only collected a new to me mack10 last week. It came with 12m hyd booms, electric section control, induction hopper, self fill, 4 nozzle holders and was sold tested with warranty, it had very little done and nothing at all done with a good few years. Paid a little more but not much than you're talking about but it's still less than any new known or unknown branded bog standard 1000L manual fold and controlled sprayer.
Was looking on and off for a while at second hand sprayers and the definition of a clean sprayer is a very broad one!
Liked what I've seen of knight, gem/case and had intended going to see a 15m knight but it was too far to go at the time of year. Anyway we've always berthoud here and when it popped up close and while I'd have liked to go up to 15/18m it was hard to pass the one we got!

I had a small sprayer and I " upgraded" to a Berthoud with 12m hydraulic fold booms. I'm not sure is 1000 or 1200L
It's a gift, great tool, I can do 10 acres with the full of it handy.
All grassland spraying with lots of small fields.
If I was buying again I'd go 15m booms.

From what I've seen while looking around last year the hardi booms are light. A bit to light imo and quiet a few were plated up.
The biggest weakness with both Hardi and Berthoud is the booms. If you get a fresh one that was minded and look after it yourself you shouldn't have any trouble but you'll pay handsomely for it. If I was buying a mounted sprayer in the morning I'd be looking at a Case/Gem or a Knight, either would have stronger booms and offer better value in a 2nd-hand in my opinion.
Agreed on the booms. All the Hardi sprayers I saw last year when I was looking around had plating on the booms where they had either cracked or broken altogether. I would rate the Gem/Case sprayer booms as probably the strongest out there.

If looking at hydraulic booms, I'd agree with Tippcon on the above.

I'd rank Berthoud over Hardi at that size primarily because the Hardi ly booms don't get much praise and can be troublesome.

Bought a hardi ly 800 here a few months ago. Hydraulic booms and electric controls it had no test when we got it cost a good bit to get it through a test but it still worked out a cheap sprayer, booms are not over strong but still they are far better than the Italian job where the nozzles aren't protected at all.

Bought a hardi ly 800 here a few months ago. Hydraulic booms and electric controls it had no test when we got it cost a good bit to get it through a test but it still worked out a cheap sprayer, booms are not over strong but still they are far better than the Italian job where the nozzles aren't protected at all.

Which is the Italian one?

The older Hardi's with mega booms that fold around the cab are usually ok up to 18m but not the most user friendly and could take a door out if not careful. The older ly that fold behind the sprayer can be problematic. Hardi master though with rear fold booms are supposed to be good but would probably be 6k+ for even early models.

Think osella and unigreen are well enough built structure wise.
Whether the pump and control systems will pass test easily I don't know

Back