What sprayer

Not much good with multiple crops on small acres though and narrower tramlines
I changed from mounted 800ltr 12m manually folded to trailed 2,500ltr with 21m Hydraulic booms and it has made spraying seriously quicker. Fields are all 8-10ac probably a bit small for 21m but cuts down a lot on tramlines and therefore green grains at harvest. One regret was not getting a tracking axle, would cut down further on wheeling at headlands.

I changed from mounted 800ltr 12m manually folded to trailed 2,500ltr with 21m Hydraulic booms and it has made spraying seriously quicker. Fields are all 8-10ac probably a bit small for 21m but cuts down a lot on tramlines and therefore green grains at harvest. One regret was not getting a tracking axle, would cut down further on wheeling at headlands.
What sprayer hitch do you have?
I bought that cleanacres and shes mounted on the lift arms and has tracking but its pinned solid and the sprayer guy I bought from says it's fine like that 🤷‍♂️I dare say I'll experiment when it gets here

What sprayer hitch do you have?
I bought that cleanacres and shes mounted on the lift arms and has tracking but its pinned solid and the sprayer guy I bought from says it's fine like that 🤷‍♂️I dare say I'll experiment when it gets here
We’ve just changed to a gem trailed with multi track, the pivot point is in under the front of the tank. It’s fairly unnerving watching it at first and you really need to remember it turning out of a shed as the booms go a hell of a way out when it starts to come around. There’s a second pivot under the pump at the front with a ram on it so you can force it up hill on a side brow etc, there’s another one locally and they took off the tracking ram and let it pivot on the front point and locked the back pivot up solid instead. It’s had a few lie downs and I think that prompted the change...

the extra width makes a hell of a change tramline wise though! Worked it out when sowing the winter barley, it’s only 10 acres but has cut out 3 tramlines the majority of which would have been in short ground meaning we’d have to shunt or loop around the way it’s worked out well only have to loop on 1 tramline hopefully

I should have said that’s with changing from 15 to 21m

Last edited:
Only have regular towing eye on the sprayer. I use the drawbar with pin rather than the hook to push back the pivot for the benefit of the PTO. A lot of them on the link arms are tracking I think.

Less tramlines and bigger tanks my main reason plus I was waiting 2 weeks for a guy to spray my beet as i didnt want to tramp it at 12m

We’ve just changed to a gem trailed with multi track, the pivot point is in under the front of the tank. It’s fairly unnerving watching it at first and you really need to remember it turning out of a shed as the booms go a hell of a way out when it starts to come around. There’s a second pivot under the pump at the front with a ram on it so you can force it up hill on a side brow etc, there’s another one locally and they took off the tracking ram and let it pivot on the front point and locked the back pivot up solid instead. It’s had a few lie downs and I think that prompted the change...

the extra width makes a hell of a change tramline wise though! Worked it out when sowing the winter barley, it’s only 10 acres but has cut out 3 tramlines the majority of which would have been in short ground meaning we’d have to shunt or loop around the way it’s worked out well only have to loop on 1 tramline hopefully
Don't let the tiny reservoir run out that has the oil for the tracking rams. It's a bit of a faff getting the air out properly. Not hard to do just time consuming. About 80psi on the clock and your right.

Regards trailed sprayers “What can do a lot can do a little “👍

Also you’ll hitch a trailed sprayer up in a fraction of the time it takes to hitch a mounted sprayer,I also find my trailed far safer on steep ground,with a mounted on a hill once half full it’s bloody dangerous.

Don't let the tiny reservoir run out that has the oil for the tracking rams. It's a bit of a faff getting the air out properly. Not hard to do just time consuming. About 80psi on the clock and your right.
Yeah it seems to be holding steady at 80 thankfully. You may be just the person to ask, does the top wash bar have nozzles or sprinklers attached? The one closest to the opening just seems to dump straight down, I thought they should blow out around the sides or else it’s a bit pointless?
Regards trailed sprayers “What can do a lot can do a little “👍

Also you’ll hitch a trailed sprayer up in a fraction of the time it takes to hitch a mounted sprayer,I also find my trailed far safer on steep ground,with a mounted on a hill once half full it’s bloody dangerous.
Hell of a lot easier to attach and a lot safer for tractor cabs too. The nh has a pile of scratches and even a crack from the mounted hardi😢

I've no intention of changing drill, spreader and sprayer in one season though!!

If I can cut down some of the trips to the outfarm with a bigger tank I'll be happy.
What width does the drill sow?
If it's a disc spreader you have would you only need to change discs and/or vanes?
A lot of benefits in the posts above to going trailed over mounted.

What width does the drill sow?
If it's a disc spreader you have would you only need to change discs and/or vanes?
A lot of benefits in the posts above to going trailed over mounted.

Ah that's why I'm wedded to 12m for now. 2.4m drill in the spring, 3m in winter.

Cosmo Wagtail spreader so maxed out at 12m there too.

There is no doubt if I was going 20m plus, it would be trailed all the way.

I'm not on the Wexford prairies either. Fields from 1 acre to 6 acres, average size 4.5 acres.

Ah that's why I'm wedded to 12m for now. 2.4m drill in the spring, 3m in winter.

I'm not on the Wexford prairies either. Fields from 1 acre to 6 acres, average size 4.5 acres.
The 2.4m drill & wagtail spreader throw a different perspective on matters alright.

Split the tramlines with the fert
That's what I'm gonna have to do this year

I wouldn't get too hung up on exact widths. My last sprayer was 20m and sprayed 21m tramlines no problem, and that was without any apparent overlap, rtk might be different. 9 runs of 2.4 is 21.6m would be grand unless you're driving wide sowing and also good when getting your contractor in.

I’d say you’re doing fine with those field sizes, any more than 18m would be too big in my opinion. We were 12m then 21 and now 24. 24 is great in big fields but small fields less so.

I think that you would gain most output by getting a good size tank. Say doing 15 acres per fill. Induction hopper & rapid water fill are important too.

Back