What sprayer

Anyone here deal with milestone sprayers, in downpatrick?

yea I bought a 20m case sprayer off Rory. Very tidy sprayer and happy with the price I paid. The sprayer comes with what ever nozzles you choose. Mine came with the wrong ones but one phone call and they were in the post on the way down no questions asked. He also gave me a number of a lad who delivers some for him and I organised it to be delivered down. All very easy and a a good choice of sprayers. I looked approx 10 different sprayers around the south east of Ireland and all were scrap.

yea I bought a 20m case sprayer off Rory. Very tidy sprayer and happy with the price I paid. The sprayer comes with what ever nozzles you choose. Mine came with the wrong ones but one phone call and they were in the post on the way down no questions asked. He also gave me a number of a lad who delivers some for him and I organised it to be delivered down. All very easy and a a good choice of sprayers. I looked approx 10 different sprayers around the south east of Ireland and all were scrap.
Ideal, can’t ask for much more!

I’d say you’re doing fine with those field sizes, any more than 18m would be too big in my opinion. We were 12m then 21 and now 24. 24 is great in big fields but small fields less so.

I think that you would gain most output by getting a good size tank. Say doing 15 acres per fill. Induction hopper & rapid water fill are important too.

Bigger tank is a must for the reason you say. We already do nearly all the spraying using water from rainwater harvesting so are pretty well setup in that regard.

The 3600 might need a front mounted tank 😁

Bigger tank is a must for the reason you say. We already do nearly all the spraying using water from rainwater harvesting so are pretty well setup in that regard.

The 3600 might need a front mounted tank 😁
Who says a trailed has to be a big one 😂😂 I’m sure the 36 would manage the 1000 and still turn neatly enough for 12m!

The only other option would be a 12/24m unit that you could work at 12s in smaller fields and out to the 24s were it suits

Yeah it seems to be holding steady at 80 thankfully. You may be just the person to ask, does the top wash bar have nozzles or sprinklers attached? The one closest to the opening just seems to dump straight down, I thought they should blow out around the sides or else it’s a bit pointless?

Hell of a lot easier to attach and a lot safer for tractor cabs too. The nh has a pile of scratches and even a crack from the mounted hardi😢
It should spray the inside of the tank. If it's dumping straight down then it's missing something. If I take the lid off the tank of mine while it's washing it'll spray water out.

Milestone does good sprayers in fairness but forget about getting parts off him after. I had to get a new filter housing for mine after a heifer ran against it. Milestone was more then 4 times the money that my neighbour charged for the same unit. @gone would know my neighbour fairly well I think.

Milestone does good sprayers in fairness but forget about getting parts off him after. I had to get a new filter housing for mine after a heifer ran against it. Milestone was more then 4 times the money that my neighbour charged for the same unit. @gone would know my neighbour fairly well I think.
I haven't been talking to Fintan for a few months, I hope he is keeping well.
Very easy to deal with and cheap.

Last edited:
Who says a trailed has to be a big one 😂😂 I’m sure the 36 would manage the 1000 and still turn neatly enough for 12m!

The only other option would be a 12/24m unit that you could work at 12s in smaller fields and out to the 24s were it suits

After 15 years of spraying, the 3600 may be retiring from that role yet!! 🤔 so a larger mounted than the 600l may work grand.

I think a 21 is the ideal width.
A, no doubling to get the first tramline the correct distance from the fenceline.
B. you can tramline your headlands, reducing green grains.

The same is true for 15’s but 21’s cut out a good few tramlines and cover ground a lot quicker. That’s all if your working a 3m drill tho, with a 4m I always thought 12/20/28 were the best matched sizes but most with them seem to work to 24’s

I think putting in your own tramlines with a GPS is the way to go . Some fields it makes sense to tramline a slightly different direction to the way it is sown . You also get more accurate tramlines .I have measured tramlines and I have yet to find ones exactly the right width . I get a contractor to sow and he could send a 3meter or a 4 meter drill and it makes no difference to me . It has been a game changer for us to do our own tramlines .

I think putting in your own tramlines with a GPS is the way to go . Some fields it makes sense to tramline a slightly different direction to the way it is sown . You also get more accurate tramlines .I have measured tramlines and I have yet to find ones exactly the right width . I get a contractor to sow and he could send a 3meter or a 4 meter drill and it makes no difference to me . It has been a game changer for us to do our own tramlines .
We have a contractor near here who makes 12m tramlines 11m!
All from overlaps. Lads couldn't work out why they often had roasted strips after spraying!

I would agree with you, there always seem to be a bit of an overlap in the tramlines made by the drill. It would be an advantage to be able place the tramlines so it make it easier to get around obstacles in field.

Why does the second point apply? Surely you can tramline headlands whatever width you tramline at
Most drills nowadays have the capability to block off half of the drill I would think. Amazone have it with a good few years anyway.
For as long as I can remember we were on 12m tramlines with a 3m drill. No doubling on the headland tramlines put in with the drill. Just set up using split tramlining, one wheel track on second pass and the other on third pass. Carry on across the field the same.

For as long as I can remember we were on 12m tramlines with a 3m drill. No doubling on the headland tramlines put in with the drill. Just set up using split tramlining, one wheel track on second pass and the other on third pass. Carry on across the field the same.
I thought about doing that and going 24🤷‍♂️

We have a contractor near here who makes 12m tramlines 11m!
All from overlaps. Lads couldn't work out why they often had roasted strips after spraying!
He must have been doing serious overlapping to get 1m in only 4 runs of the sower. Good man on the sower.

Back