What tractor should I buy?

This looks good
Would that many hours be considered a lot for a MF like that? I mean would it be approaching needing any major work done on it? You don't see too many modern mfs with more than 7000 hours up on donedeal whereas you will see several JD and NH for sale with over 10k hours on them. I suspect that a lot of tractors see hour corrections.

Would that many hours be considered a lot for a MF like that? I mean would it be approaching needing any major work done on it? You don't see too many modern mfs with more than 7000 hours up on donedeal whereas you will see several JD and NH for sale with over 10k hours on them. I suspect that a lot of tractors see hour corrections.
Not a lot to go wrong with them, low priced repaired in general, a cheap tractor to keep going.

Very reliable engine, manual clutch manual lift nothing really to go wrong that a decent mechanic cant fix. I think a 4260/4270 would be an ideal farmers tractor or a second tractor on a farm. 4260 here and she’s been pretty flawless.

Very reliable engine, manual clutch manual lift nothing really to go wrong that a decent mechanic cant fix. I think a 4260/4270 would be an ideal farmers tractor or a second tractor on a farm. 4260 here and she’s been pretty flawless.

It would be the same engine as is in similar hp 6200, and basically the same engine as is in the early 5400 and 6400 of the same hp.

We are planning on changing our ford and the dealer close to us has a choice of 4255's and 5455's. Have been doing some research on them and they'd be ideal for what we want.

We are planning on changing our ford and the dealer close to us has a choice of 4255's and 5455's. Have been doing some research on them and they'd be ideal for what we want.
The 5455 is a much heavier duty tractor, the 4255 would be step backwards from the 5050.

The 5455 is a much heavier duty tractor, the 4255 would be step backwards from the 5050.
I still think you are overrating the Fiat based New Hollands, I had a 4255 and would consider them a very capable tractor. Only (slight) downside was that 1st high was too fast and you would have to be in the M range when taking off with a load
Always found the exhaust was in your line of vision too.
A 5030 is a 4610 with a 4 cylinder engine really, and will be a lot lighter duty than a 4255 IMO.

Its the old ford rather than the NH that we are looking at replacing. I'd probably choose a 5445 or 5455 ahead of a 4200 or 4300 model but it will probably come down to what o can find when I'm ready to deal

Its the old ford rather than the NH that we are looking at replacing. I'd probably choose a 5445 or 5455 ahead of a 4200 or 4300 model but it will probably come down to what o can find when I'm ready to deal
Just watch out for rust on the roof of the 42 or 43's, it was a problem with them. A neighbour a has a early 5460 and it's letting water in as well so just keep that in mind.

Curious to know why you are not considering another TL or 35 series given your knowledge of them from running the T5050, unless It's dealer preference which I can understand.

Curious to know why you are not considering another TL or 35 series given your knowledge of them from running the T5050, unless It's dealer preference which I can understand.
I wouldn't rule out a NH. But I plan for a more comfortable model than the t5000/TL. It will need to be a wider cab model with a passenger seat such as a ts100a for safety. I mentioned a t6010 or 6020 in the past - one of these would be my preference but the 4 cylinder t6000 don't seem to be available in great numbers second hand.

I'll see what time brings. Might even be tempted on some other brand. It will dependnon what's available when I'm ready to deal.

MF caught my eye as a dealer close to us trades in a good few of them. It appears to me that I could come up more years for my budget with MF than NH.

I wouldn't rule out a NH. But I plan for a more comfortable model than the t5000/TL. It will need to be a wider cab model with a passenger seat such as a ts100a for safety. I mentioned a t6010 or 6020 in the past - one of these would be my preference but the 4 cylinder t6000 don't seem to be available in great numbers second hand.

I'll see what time brings. Might even be tempted on some other brand. It will dependnon what's available when I'm ready to deal.

MF caught my eye as a dealer close to us trades in a good few of them. It appears to me that I could come up more years for my budget with MF than NH.

I don't think the four cylinder TSA's are that common at the moment either to be honest. T6000's are a bit more refined.

I don't think the four cylinder TSA's are that common at the moment either to be honest. T6000's are a bit more refined.

Its hard to know what to do. There is very little in cost between a 100hp tractor and a 130hp. Have a good NH at home which could be moved to the other farm and trade up the ford 5030 for something bigger.

I just don't know yet - I might go a completely different direction. I'm not in a position to buy just yet, so I'll just have to see what's around when I am ready.

Any particular year or range in mind?. Massey's 4200 series come to mind or the newer 4300 series although the 4200 series were a better tractor. If your not to pushed on coming up the years then Massey's 300 series were a fantastic range. For what you want a 390, 390T or 399 would be very good. Good ones however are increasing in value and are worth a bit now. I've always liked the older 600 series but rust was there downfall and a clean one today is very hard to find.

im considereing a new tractor myself ive a MF 565, its well nackered. same amount of usage as origional post (lely splendimo 205, 10ft cattle tailor, round bales, transport box, roller etc.. all light-ish stuff (mower is hard on the mf 565, trailor full of cattle is hard on the 565)).id like to stick to a Massey too, and when i but one its likely to do me 15 + years.
SO
whats justification to get 4x4 - allot more fuel consumed?, a 4x4 might be wasted on me?
i was looking /thinking 390T initially (great machines i hear), id like to get something a little newer if possible but unsure if [for my usage] getting a MF 4200 or MF 4300 is justified, is there much difference between 4200 vs 4300? its prob going to be the only tractor i buy and looking towards a budget of say 23K - any guidence appreciated.

im considereing a new tractor myself ive a MF 565, its well nackered. same amount of usage as origional post (lely splendimo 205, 10ft cattle tailor, round bales, transport box, roller etc.. all light-ish stuff (mower is hard on the mf 565, trailor full of cattle is hard on the 565)).id like to stick to a Massey too, and when i but one its likely to do me 15 + years.
SO
whats justification to get 4x4 - allot more fuel consumed?, a 4x4 might be wasted on me?
i was looking /thinking 390T initially (great machines i hear), id like to get something a little newer if possible but unsure if [for my usage] getting a MF 4200 or MF 4300 is justified, is there much difference between 4200 vs 4300? its prob going to be the only tractor i buy and looking towards a budget of say 23K - any guidence appreciated.
If 2wd has done you all these years then I don't know of you need it.
However you are going to struggle to find newer tractors which aren't 4x4!
I'd only consider a 2wd if I ever bought a tractor puerly for the straw blower and a bit of dry summer work like tedding, but for the size of tedder I have I'd need a big tractor, which again leaves me in the mostly 4x4 range!

SO

That's a decent budget and I would focus solely on a 4245 or 4255 with that assuming no loader.

Back