What's a tree worth????!

AYF

We've a new electric line going in through the farm, anyhoo they want to take down the top 6m of a tree, which is pretty much the whole tree!

A lad landed today saying it was being cut Monday.

My reply was how much you offering?

He was stumped (ohhh look at the pun!) For some reason they thought it was a benefit to me having it cut as I was getting timber, my reply to that was that I was quite happy to see it growing for another 30 years!! I've more timber than I know what to do with following a big thinning out of trees on the farm.

Told them they needed to get me a figure on the tree!!

Now we have been very amicable all through the process, other farms have been an epic pain to the point that the line is months behind schedule.

It's a fairly big Sycamore. Nothing special.

What is reasonable?!?

I would think its worth very little really. You can either refuse to let them cut it, or else suck it up I think.
Is it in an area of natural scenery or outstanding beauty?. If it is and the tree is a part of that scenery then I'd say you could well ask for silly money as it's destruction (thats essentially what it is) will detract from the surroundings. If it's in the middle of a field and only a few sheep scratching on it then it's worth about a gallon of petrol to saw it up.

Tbh if you're getting the timber take it and run, but get them to cut it at the butt if they're cutting it at all.

What's in it, few bulk bags? Would there even be 100 quire worth when it's cut up?

Is it in an area of natural scenery or outstanding beauty?. If it is and the tree is a part of that scenery then I'd say you could well ask for silly money as it's destruction (thats essentially what it is) will detract from the surroundings. If it's in the middle of a field and only a few sheep scratching on it then it's worth about a gallon of petrol to saw it up.
The latter is more the case here I'd imagine. And I doubt a power company will want to set a precedent for paying out big sums for trees...

Ask 2k sure all they can say is no and at least you have a starting point , lads around here are getting 500 quid just to have poles (power lines)replaced on their land

Not in a special area or anything. And 10ft in front of a big H pole they've put up.

There was mumblings of £200 which I didn't say much too. Perhaps that was as good an offer as Ill get?!

Very little fire wood in it tbh

@Mf240 I did point out it was the only thing in the way of them Finishing the line... And made a funny face looking up at it before asking if they wanted a price per branch or the whole tree!

Had to laugh, the lad out was a nice fella, knew nothing about nature mind, pointed to the old crow nest in it and asked what they'd do about the red kite nesting in it! He turned pale for a moment!😂

Tell them you want £5k as compo and your not letting them in till the monies in the bank,£5k is buttoned to big companies.

I locked our water utilities company out on numerous occasions,had contractor boss turn up in his big merc with a wad of cash asking me to let them back in,it was the best crop I ever had.

Trees are worth astronomical money in the US of A, they have a common law system over there the same as here and Wales/England. Their valuation is based off of the cost to replace not the value of the firewood. How old is the tree? How easily would it be replaced?

Totally unrelated, local tree-huggers tried to get a preservation order on half a dozen on a wee bit I own ,inspector came out and condemned 2 of them and put a felling order on them , hey ho ,2 years firewood

was it agreed before that the wire woiuld be running over it. if yes why was it not noticed and sorted then.

otherwise take the wood and get them to supply a few other trees in its place to plant yourself.

if the right man came out from the electric firm surely they could stop the new line to it is sorted and leave it that way for the next few years, no point being stuborn there is two side to look at.

Isn't it one of point awarding parts of such as the ELS in field trees, if that tree was the one that qualified you for it it would be worth quite a bit

Reactions: Paw
I'm surprised that the power companies over in the UK don't have the same compulsory powers as here. Under various acts, the ESB have legal authority to enter lands and do as they see fit for their purpose.

Most times it doesn't come to that, normally they are accommodating for silage, tillage or wet land and are reasonable people but some take the biscuit and apparently it had to go the legal route.

For the joys of it, there are two main lines with pylons and another twin wire line running through here...

A neighbour of mine held them up for over a year and a half and would not leave them onto his land to upgrade the line until they paid him,they paid well in the end to get the job done

2 weeks ago I was working for a company and the price agreed for the tree was €10,000.
Every year I get asked to move massive trees, ie ones as big as you will find; you wont get much change from €300,000.
Most trees I move with the Volvo are worth €800-3000 each.
I have two trees on my books that I am trying to find owners for, and the going rate is €20,000 each.

2 weeks ago I was working for a company and the price agreed for the tree was €10,000.
Every year I get asked to move massive trees, ie ones as big as you will find; you wont get much change from €300,000.
Most trees I move with the Volvo are worth €800-3000 each.
I have two trees on my books that I am trying to find owners for, and the going rate is €20,000 each.
What variety and what size would be involved ?

The 10 grand tree was an Oak, in a ditch, probably 40-50 years old. Sold standing, I didn't move it. I can comment more on it, but thats the value that was agreed.

One of mine is a Cedar of Lebanon, 80- 90cm; and the Other is a Sequoia and I think is also 90cm.
I have clients that will buy in trees from Holland, Belgium or Germany for €8-20k per tree.

I handle a lot of court cases where trees have been damaged or wrongfully felled, and the settlements will often be €50k plus.

The 10 grand tree was an Oak, in a ditch, probably 40-50 years old. Sold standing, I didn't move it. I can comment more on it, but thats the value that was agreed.

One of mine is a Cedar of Lebanon, 80- 90cm; and the Other is a Sequoia and I think is also 90cm.
I have clients that will buy in trees from Holland, Belgium or Germany for €8-20k per tree.

I handle a lot of court cases where trees have been damaged or wrongfully felled, and the settlements will often be €50k plus.
Assuming trees have a lifespan does the value go down as they pass what we will call middle age, I can see the reason for value in the varieties mentioned, I assume beech, ash and sycamore are well down the order.

We have a large macrocarpa?? Behind the house. I've asked several tree men about it and they all say itd be a sin to cut it down and itll never fall. Just as they're leaving they then say it takes good nerve to live under it every day.
Thus I have a conflicted relationship with trees

Back