What's the best machine you ever bought?

BasilSeal

When i first started out in farming the very first tractor i bought was an old David Brown 990 loader tractor. 20 years on and I'm still using it, it's done some work over the years, at one time it was the only loader i had and it did all my feeding and loading, even now it's still a machine i wouldn't want to do without. It doesn't owe me a penny and i was thinking today it has to be one of the best things i've bought. Is there any machine that stands out as a particularly good purchase over your farming career?

The last new tractor I brought in 1977 a Deere 4430 best tractor I've ever owned :thumbup1:

Bobcat skid steer was about the best it's seen beter days now. It's a bout done. But it's done some work. The most versatile machine you'd have on a farm.

a pig trailer which drops to the floor for loading has to be one of our best buys ,you wouldnt believe the amount of stress it saves :thumbup1:
its quite good for the pigs as well:laugh::laugh:

a pig trailer which drops to the floor for loading has to be one of our best buys ,you wouldnt believe the amount of stress it saves :thumbup1:

I know where you're coming from there, when we kept pigs, years ago now, loading was a job that i used to dread.

i think id have to say its my track machine,
ive had a couple of them mind you, have a 13 tonner now,
wild handy machine to have about.

I know where you're coming from there, when we kept pigs, years ago now, loading was a job that i used to dread.

Yeh pigs are arses to load. I rember when we rented out our pig units at home. And I helped loading them. The little buggers donot like going in the back of wagons or anything with a ramp. There nasty little monkeys as well

really good tools those are. Rather handy for loading fencing gear on to as well:001_smile:

A john deer 2450 20 years ago 9000 hours later 1 clutch and 2 sets of batteries 1 starter later she still going strong 2 hours a day at the moment and looking like new , well almost !!:thumbup1:

Case IH 956 - never spent a penny on it but do not miss it to drive.

3C powertrain for the amount of work it did over the years.

Hands down for use nearly every day of the year for something - Old sanderson telehandler.

Case IH 956 - never spent a penny on it but do not miss it to drive.

3C powertrain for the amount of work it did over the years.

Hands down for use nearly every day of the year for something - Old sanderson telehandler.

got a sanderson rough terrain forklift which still gets used most days and shifts most of the grain and feed ,its been here 30 years :thumbup:,ir runs rings round the teleporter for shed work ,be a sad day when it stops :crying:

Hard to choose

IH 474 HYDRO the most versitile tractor on the place

JD 4040 - hard worker that has been the most economical tractor I have owned - new paint job was the most that I have spent on her

MF 50R with backblade/draincleaner - will have to put a pic on some time as most if not all will not be familiar with this machine - local design/manufacture - how we did drains b4 excavators - very handy tool 4 just about anything.

Caterpillar

this
just need more time to play on it :thumbup:

Attachments

• IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Picture.s no1 021.jpg
    Picture.s no1 021.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 27
  • as found (3).jpg
    as found (3).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 26
specs

Thats a fair bit of kit, is it bigger than a 125 drott?

its around 6.5 ton ,and 65hp it hangs on until the death with a 4.5" bore and 5.5"stroke, first pic is a liner ,had a drop of water in it
also have a ruston bucyrus s46 scraper ,4 yards struck ,6 heaped
generally in good nick after spending 15 odd years in the bushes
my dad used to tow it where he worked and was well greased up when parked ,no seized pulleys etc just needed new ropes and could do with a cutting edge ,i did a small job cutting out a farm track ,but the winch played up and i ended up blading it out as i was pushed for time :thumbdown:
i need some battery box tops if anyone ever comes across one for spares
cheers graham

Attachments

• IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1422.JPG
    IMG_1422.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 21