Where to put ptz camera?

Blooper

The shed is 3 bay. Something like 45 ft by 15ft.
I had a fixed camera at one end but it was hard to see at far end and right underneath it.
I now have a ptz. Do you think I should put the ptz in the same place. Unlike the bullet one it has crazy zoom.
If I put in the middle of the shed it can't watch both ends and if I was somewhere with poor reception I was afraid it wouldn't move for me.
I'm guessing it would see better from the middle but would require a lot more moving etc rather than just good zoom.
From directly above how much area do they generally cover. I'm afraid it might be too close.
Any recommendations please.
Demo 01_01_20181006160331859.jpg

The shed is 3 bay. Something like 45 ft by 15ft.
I had a fixed camera at one end but it was hard to see at far end and right underneath it.
I now have a ptz. Do you think I should put the ptz in the same place. Unlike the bullet one it has crazy zoom.
If I put in the middle of the shed it can't watch both ends and if I was somewhere with poor reception I was afraid it wouldn't move for me.
I'm guessing it would see better from the middle but would require a lot more moving etc rather than just good zoom.
From directly above how much area do they generally cover. I'm afraid it might be too close.
Any recommendations please.
View attachment 96876
The middle will be hard to beat for maxing out the view in all directions if it has a good vertical range to look down under itself.
Depending on the camera some can be set to do a “tour” between a go of set points, so you can set up a go of places where it needs to look and then the camera will continuously move between these points, it can be handy if you think your going to have issues with your connection from certain places, you can stop it then easily enough if you wanted to focus on something specific

I have a HIKVISION PTZ which is supposed to be a good brand. I rarely try and manipulate it manually to go to a location, I find that difficult with a phone.

I always just press the button to get it to go to one of the preset locations, I think you can program 50 locations.

It can also be configured to follow a path and pause for a few seconds at each location.

I would advise to figure out the preset locations with the software you are using first and should be easy figure out where to put it after that.

depending on the layout of the yard outside you could also use it for surveillance there (if required) especially when not needed in the shed

we're covering a large double 3 bay sheep shed with 1 cam mounted on the second middle passageway pillar, there is a blind spot behind the pillar but this is work area and lambing pens. it also covers an area of the yard when the doors are open

I have a HIKVISION PTZ which is supposed to be a good brand. I rarely try and manipulate it manually to go to a location, I find that difficult with a phone.

I always just press the button to get it to go to one of the preset locations, I think you can program 50 locations.

It can also be configured to follow a path and pause for a few seconds at each location.

I would advise to figure out the preset locations with the software you are using first and should be easy figure out where to put it after that.

depending on the layout of the yard outside you could also use it for surveillance there (if required) especially when not needed in the shed

we're covering a large double 3 bay sheep shed with 1 cam mounted on the second middle passageway pillar, there is a blind spot behind the pillar but this is work area and lambing pens. it also covers an area of the yard when the doors are open
I’ve one mounted in the centre of the shed and it also can look out onto the yard,I use the pre set buttons to navigate outside the shed as well as in the shed,I only use x4 pre-sets two for indoor and two for out.

The one im putting up is a hikvision ptz 4mp with 25 optical zoom.
I think the one I had up was a hikvision dark fighter 2mp turret.
I agree it would be good to use for outside the shed when not in use.
The problem is if I mount it in the middle of shed above feed barrier on timber running across its too high to see out properly.
It would need lowered away down.
If I put it on the end wall like the other one but a foot lower, it would cover the yard well but not the shed as good.

Just taken a screenshot and these cows are 30m away from the camera.

View attachment 96888
Wall to wall on mine is only 14 metres so maybe on the side wall would work OK.
The problem with that too is also the more i lower it, the more I'm looking into the side of the cows blocking each other.
It can never be straightforward.
My father also kept the roof lower than normal as he said it would only let more rain in.

Last edited:
@scoffcruddle what type of camera do you have
A couple of Axis p5512’s
Wall to wall on mine is only 14 metres so maybe on the side wall would work OK.
The problem with that too is also the more i lower it, the more I'm looking into the side of the cows blocking each other.
It can never be straightforward.
My father also kept the roof lower than normal as he said it would only let more rain in.
The one I showed the clip from is 23’ up,I’d still aim for the centre of the shed if possible.

The one im putting up is a hikvision ptz 4mp with 25 optical zoom.
I think the one I had up was a hikvision dark fighter 2mp turret.
I agree it would be good to use for outside the shed when not in use.
The problem is if I mount it in the middle of shed above feed barrier on timber running across its too high to see out properly.
It would need lowered away down.
If I put it on the end wall like the other one but a foot lower, it would cover the yard well but not the shed as good.
Would the best place for it not be on one of internal vertical steels, but at the back of shed? I wouldn't be fussed on putting it on a gable like your photo shows as although there is a good zoom, there is more chance of an animal blocking your view of something important.
You could mount it on the timber in the centre of the middle pen at back too, but make sure you have it well anchored.

Anyone buy new camera lately to suit outdoors. Plan on putting it on pole and able to rotate about yard.

Back