Which digger bucket?

lough

I rang Geith today to price a digger bucket and it would come from England and delivery would be 100 euro extra.
I remembered then that Geith no longer does any manufacturing in Ireland so this is why they are coming in from England and like everything else are made in China.
Does anyone from that area know if any of the old employees started out on their own to make digger buckets as I like the shape of the Geith bucket that I have.

I rang Geith today to price a digger bucket and it would come from England and delivery would be 100 euro extra.
I remembered then that Geith no longer does any manufacturing in Ireland so this is why they are coming in from England and like everything else are made in China.
Does anyone from that area know if any of the old employees started out on their own to make digger buckets as I like the shape of the Geith bucket that I have.

Would you not try a Scott bucket ?

Or, there was/is a man near @declanc304 , Watkins Engineering, who makes super buckets , but they are not the cheapest .

Would you not try a Scott bucket ?

Or, there was/is a man near @declanc304 , Watkins Engineering, who makes super buckets , but they are not the cheapest .
I used a Scott bucket for a couple of hours one time and didn't really like it, the curve in the side walls is different, I would be lifting roots and rocks and they would sit into the curve better.

I used a Scott bucket for a couple of hours one time and didn't really like it, the curve in the side walls is different, I would be lifting roots and rocks and they would sit into the curve better.

I bought a mole plough from R&M Buckets in Co Meath 7 or 8 years ago . I found Michael very obliging .
Most crowds will make what the customer wants, within reason .

I bought a mole plough from R&M Buckets in Co Meath 7 or 8 years ago . I found Michael very obliging .
Most crowds will make what the customer wants, within reason .

Another vote for R&M, have bought off them before and no issues, built exactly to the specification I asked , delivered down when they said they would etc... have recommended them to one or two people since and all were happy too.

Yeah you have a choice between tighe engineering in dromconrath or r&m which is literally next door to where Geith used to make the buckets both would have started out working in doggits which was the original company that geith bought out. R&M would probably be better for a custom one of job tights would be more mass production.

Screenshot_20201118-211215.pngtry this man, we went up to him for one bucket must be 3 years ago and came home with 2. Very easy to deal with and the ditching bucket has done alot of work since on a 130 and the boss is still happy with it.

View attachment 84507try this man, we went up to him for one bucket must be 3 years ago and came home with 2. Very easy to deal with and the ditching bucket has done alot of work since on a 130 and the boss is still happy with it.
Nearly certain that man made me a shoring bucket a good few years ago,very sound lads and reasonable

Reactions: max
Oriel attachments

If the grey cells are correct this is the original owner of Geith Engineering..............................................................based in Ardee Co Meath........................................

Hillhead engineering is owned by a chap called Derek Brown. A sound lad to deal with. Bought 2 rakes of him one for the 3cx and 1 for the mini digger. His stuff is well made.20200320_161123.jpg

Michael tighe engineering for buckets without a doubt.have a 5ft ditching bucket bought new off them the last 15 years. Done a serious amount of digging over them years. @newhollandtm1400 bought a lovely Tighe ditching bucket not long ago
Yes bought a deep profile 6ft trenching bucket from them there at start of year for zaxis 130. Very impressed with it. Nice size, weight and easy to turn in a trench. We got it with ITR brand adapters and teeth. Well made bucket would rate them higher than R&M who I also visited. Similar price points. Don't like Scott buckets profile on top of bucket is too flat. Not enough of a curve in the rear of the bucket material would stick inside of it.
As another man said there's a lad advertising on done deal making the old geith style bucket, looks a tasty bucket.
20200329_211053~2.jpgSnapchat-1232710165.jpg

Yes bought a deep profile 6ft trenching bucket from them there at start of year for zaxis 130. Very impressed with it. Nice size, weight and easy to turn in a trench. We got it with ITR brand adapters and teeth. Well made bucket would rate them higher than R&M who I also visited. Similar price points. Don't like Scott buckets profile on top of bucket is too flat. Not enough of a curve in the rear of the bucket material would stick inside of it.
As another man said there's a lad advertising on done deal making the old geith style bucket, looks a tasty bucket.
View attachment 84731View attachment 84732
Thats a fine bucket,bet its nice to use grading off clay with the extra teeth,you don’t like the locking pins and clips i see?
Very well made bucket

Yes we don't like the pins and clips to keep on the teeth. We found that the teeth were always loose, the pins fell out and you'd lose a good tooth. Also dad's particular about having the teeth tight, as them wobbling all over the place wears the adapter. We put in an allen bolt, either M16 or M18. We fill the space where the clip used be with a thick washer made with the mag drill. Then we get split a hedgecutter bushing in two and grind a taper on the outside. We use a die grinder to enlarge and make round the mounting holes in each tooth. A taper is ground on the head of the allen bolt too. The allen bolt head sits inside the edge of the tooth, preventing wear. The other end of the bolt does get worn alright along with the nut. Great job though would be very rare for a tooth to fall off.

Tooth adapter.jpg

View attachment 84731View attachment 84732

What do you use that bucket for, is it for digging, would it not be liable to catch something solid at the side and twist

What do you use that bucket for, is it for digging, would it not be liable to catch something solid at the side and twist
For cleaning out farm drains and grading topsoil. Stripping soil off an area. The long teeth and width of bucket allows you to rake stones or roots out of soil. We use it for most work really it's quick to level ground. Cannot be used for digging gravel or such due to its width it would not be as strong as a digging bucket.

Back