Which Loader Option

ah but there is a roof hatch as well so to fill the drill you lift up the pallet - door wont open hop out through the roof.... or take the door off! Not ideal from a safety point of view but im afraid its the only option for us as Dad is not for climbing through the roof.

Bought a similar machine off a neighbour a weatherill (you got in via the boom from the side)he jumped out with the boom up and his jacket caught on the levers dropping the boom onto him:ohmy: he was very lucky and only broke his arm,he quite easily could have been killed.

His dad wouldn't let us have it unless he welded a bar onto the side where the levers where,was a good capable machine but somewhat lacked brakes.:rolleyes2:

image.jpeg

Ours didn't have a cab but was identical to this.

Bought a similar machine off a neighbour a weatherill (you got in via the boom from the side)he jumped out with the boom up and his jacket caught on the levers dropping the boom onto him:ohmy: he was very lucky and only broke his arm,he quite easily could have been killed.

His dad wouldn't let us have it unless he welded a bar onto the side where the levers where,was a good capable machine but somewhat lacked brakes.:rolleyes2:

View attachment 59604

An L61 ? A neighbour had one briefly in the 80s. The brakes were air operated . The L62 was a higher newer machine , and seemed a good bit more capable.

An L61 ? A neighbour had one briefly in the 80s. The brakes were air operated . The L62 was a higher newer machine , and seemed a good bit more capable.

No it was a 42h

My uncle had a L62b with the Leyland engine,was a great machine but a bit heavy.

View attachment 59604

Were they not Fordson Major based?

Were they not Fordson Major based?

Yes,industrial backend with a lid instead of hydraulics,2 speed f and 2 speed reverse torque box and 6cyl industrial Ford engine (some had Perkins 6.354) very reliable units,tractor pullers proved how robust the major back ends were.

Yes,industrial backend with a lid instead of hydraulics,2 speed f and 2 speed reverse torque box and 6cyl industrial Ford engine (some had Perkins 6.354) very reliable units,tractor pullers proved how robust the major back ends were.

Couldn't you imagine putting an engine at least two or three times more powerful than the original in some of today's tractors :sweat::scared:

Couldn't you imagine putting an engine at least two or three times more powerful than the original in some of today's tractors :sweat::scared:

Was the quality of the steel just better back then?

I mean a major can cope with the power no problem with fairy modest sized trumpet housings,where as modern day trumpet housings are massive by comparison.:scratchhead:

There might be big horsepower in the pullers but the torque would be lowered due to the high speed, the trumpets would be strong enough, usually diffs and half shafts that break.

Was the quality of the steel just better back then?

I mean a major can cope with the power no problem with fairy modest sized trumpet housings,where as modern day trumpet housings are massive by comparison.:scratchhead:
Not so much the quality than volume. Back then it was 'lets make it this big' now it's 'my calculation's say it only needs to be this big...'

How heavy would a modern tractor of the same power be vs an old fordson?

Very tidy, I thought 550's would have all been 2 lever

4 levers were available too, I can't remember which one was an option but do remember both being in the brochure I have here.

You could also go all out....
https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/ford-a66-loader/19861841

MWYxMzAyMjdkMjU1Y2EzZDc3NTg3MzU4ODgyMDYxZTiij5izCjaEX0QXHbca8Qq4aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDkzMTc0Nzl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Just to update, my preferred option would be to put a loader on the 168 but as mentioned above it wouldn't be up to the job, so that is rules out. The idea for getting the loader was to load seaweed into a dump trailer, handling round bales would be it's main job. It would be handiest to have the loader on the TL as I would only need the one machine in the shore to load the dump trailer.
It will have to wait a while now as I am going to buy a low loader, three weeks ago I had no intention of buying one but things have changed since:whistle:

Just to update, my preferred option would be to put a loader on the 168 but as mentioned above it wouldn't be up to the job, so that is rules out. The idea for getting the loader was to load seaweed into a dump trailer, handling round bales would be it's main job. It would be handiest to have the loader on the TL as I would only need the one machine in the shore to load the dump trailer.
It will have to wait a while now as I am going to buy a low loader, three weeks ago I had no intention of buying one but things have changed since:whistle:

Tell more.
Have you bought some sort of tracked digger ? Pictures .

IMG_0868 (1).JPG
Tell more.
Have you bought some sort of tracked digger ? Pictures .

I bought the digger in 2010 I think, I was mostly doing work on the fields near the house and she didn't have to travel very far. I have more work to do a bit further up the road and small bits to finish of near the house so she will always be in the wrong place and I don't want to be tracking her up and down the road. It suits me to be at a couple of different jobs in different places. I break rock in the winter evenings when it is dark and nothing on the TV but I don't like digging in the dark as it is impossible to distinguish the top soil from the subsoil. Then on a Saturday when it is daylight you might want to hang a gate or dig a drain/foundation or something in a different location so it would be handy to move her around.

IMG_0866 (1).JPG IMG_0870 (1).JPG IMG_1215.JPG
The photo of the ploughing is the year after the rock was broke, the area where the bucket is sitting in the second photo, I did the same job on that during the bank holiday weekend last week, the bit where the digger is sitting, was a knowe and every time a trailed mower went over it, it would cut a sod of the ground and the rock was just an inch or two below the surface.
That is one of the smaller jobs

If lough had some blue blood...

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/ford-4610-with-industrial-loader/20533210

MjA1ZTMwNTYxNmY0YWVjZTkwOTE1ZDNkMDRiYzg0NmXgYgy5nqg0zx0ScKcBE50SaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTQyOTkzNTN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Would love to know what that would lift and also the height of the loader at full reach?

Would it lift a bale of heavy silage or stack bales at least three high.

There is one of them witin 1/2 a mile of here for the past 20 years, and the man who imported it brought 2 at the same time , the oter was 5 miles away and wa sold 2 years ago. The local one has been superceded mainly by a 5445 , still lifts bags of fert , and a little foddering. Certainly lift a bale of silage , and it would be capable enough.
It broke te brackets for the loader a few times , countless stub axles , often half a dozen in a winter , but the yard would have several levels , and the tine grab would be quite deep. It also broke a front axle , and eventually upgraded to a 7610 front axle. They are a 4610. perky little machine.

A Jewellair .

There is one of them witin 1/2 a mile of here for the past 20 years, and the man who imported it brought 2 at the same time , the oter was 5 miles away and wa sold 2 years ago. The local one has been superceded mainly by a 5445 , still lifts bags of fert , and a little foddering. Certainly lift a bale of silage , and it would be capable enough.
It broke te brackets for the loader a few times , countless stub axles , often half a dozen in a winter , but the yard would have several levels , and the tine grab would be quite deep. It also broke a front axle , and eventually upgraded to a 7610 front axle. They are a 4610. perky little machine.

A Jewellair .

Sounds like they have a standard 4610 beam then :sad:, would have thought it would have been much stronger to be honest!

Back