Which New Cattle Trailer

Becauka

Hello.
We're buying a new 14 foot cattle trailer. Wondering which make? Ifor Williams are very popular but probably not the best.
2 or 3 axle?
Thanks.

We have a 14" ifor twin axle, ours has the internal double decks and Gucci split ram thing on the tail gate as "bought " it mainly for sheep,,
AFAIK the only differs for a tri axle is the unladen weight is a bit more and you have a bit more length,,
TBH if "I "" was after a stock box for mainly using around the farm I'd be looking at a proper stock box I could tug about with the tractor, trying to move stock with an ifor is PAINFULL,, 3-4 large beasts at a time,, the old landy is churning up the gateways,,
Not so bad for sheep it's true ,, depends on your circumstances,,

With the weight limit at 3,500 kg would you need a 14 ft trailer, 9 x 300kg yearlings + the trailer will possibly put you over weight depending on the weight of the trailer, a third axle is also extra weight. Is your current jeep plated for towing 3,500kg.

Having used one for 5 years now and thousands of miles I can categorically say don't look any further then a Nugent trailer. Ifor are a tinfoil rattlebox in compared to Nugent. Get the heavy duty one piece aluminium ramp to. Well worth the bit extra if your loading heavy stock. If your going 14ft then get the tri-axle. @Arthur has covered the topic of weights.

Tri axle much nicer to pull, though you will have a heavier trailer to start with, at 3500kg gross, a 14ft trailer won't be full when it's over weight.
We have a 13ft twin axle porter trailer.
Imo Ivor Williams is only a sheep trailer, not strong enough for heavy going with big cattle. There are other better trailers. For cattle, there is no stronger trailer than a porter.
Expensive to buy, like everything in life you get what you pay for.

image.jpg image.jpg
This is our porter trailer.
We bought it in 2005, a friend of mine had an Ivor Williams, changing the trailer every few years, he bought a porter in or around 2008/9 he still has it, it would be doing a savage amount of work.

What weight is that trailer @ithastopay , having too big a trailer wouldn't be a good thing as the animals would move around too much.

I honestly don't know, 1300kg?
I pulled a tri axle porter last summer it was more balanced than our own, however at 14ft and an extra axle it would be over weight before it was half full.
Twin axle 12ft might be the right job,

I'm buying a used 12 x 6 cattle trailer, not interested in an Ifor Williams, if you had a choice which would you go for, Porter or Nugent, is there any other makes worth looking out for.
@diesel power @muckymanor you both have Nugents, how do you find the bar that goes across the small access door on the side, would you prefer a trailer without it

They are a strong well built trailer built to last same as the Hamilton.have mine a long time.you will not see the gates or ramp bent or twisted on them like alot of other makes after alot of use.
They are a heavy trailer though

I should have said it's used I'm going for, not new, are they hard to clean with the ribs on the side
You won't do a great job if washed by the standard way of up / down like on s flat surface particulary on the lower part just above the floor.hose from left to right with your hand down low gets it all but like everything when it's fresh its simple

I'm buying a used 12 x 6 cattle trailer, not interested in an Ifor Williams, if you had a choice which would you go for, Porter or Nugent, is there any other makes worth looking out for.
@diesel power @muckymanor you both have Nugents, how do you find the bar that goes across the small access door on the side, would you prefer a trailer without it
I'd go for a porter if money wasn't the issue. But you'll find it hard to buy a used porter that hasn't a lot of miles done - they are really well built and heavier duty than most, that's why lads that do a lot of trailer work buy them.

Nothing wrong with the Nugent. Well built for the price range. The bar across the access door adds strength to it all. I can hop in and out the bottom door and I'm not small. I'd have another Nugent here.

Have a tuff Mac here. 12ft double axel. A good trailer maybe abit on the agri side when it comes to the finish. Good strong trailer but is inclined to sway alittle if you have a heavy boot. Got a lend of a Tri axel one last year when was stuck waiting on our own one and found a serious pull in them even when empty.

Have a tuff Mac here. 12ft double axel. A good trailer maybe abit on the agri side when it comes to the finish. Good strong trailer but is inclined to sway alittle if you have a heavy boot. Got a lend of a Tri axel one last year when was stuck waiting on our own one and found a serious pull in them even when empty.
Had notions of upgrading ours in the last few weeks and there's an awful long wait for new Nugent's. Looked at a tuff Mac and they look very well built. I wouldn't fear one. Have pulled a few different trailers and they'll all sway with a heavy boot.

I'd rate the Nugent very highly. Mine has a savage amount of going done for me and all with heavy cattle. The vehicle pulling it wouldn't be simple on it either. I have it in mind to change it in the near future and I won't be looking any further then another Nugent.

I'd rate the Nugent very highly. Mine has a savage amount of going done for me and all with heavy cattle. The vehicle pulling it wouldn't be simple on it either. I have it in mind to change it in the near future and I won't be looking any further then another Nugent.
Would Nugent make you one with a swan neck drawbar?

I toyed with having one before I went down the hgv route.

I wouldn’t have a trailer with rubber indespension axle beams again,they may be quieter than springs but they’re very weak.👎

We will be selling this Porter trailer later this year.

Attachments

• B724F5A8-5598-467D-9F6E-696C791B8D2A.jpeg
    B724F5A8-5598-467D-9F6E-696C791B8D2A.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 84
  • CA02A5CB-C4A3-4E15-8137-D254DEB88664.jpeg
    CA02A5CB-C4A3-4E15-8137-D254DEB88664.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 7C1C6AF1-E915-4CC6-8A30-B24212E6C111.jpeg
    7C1C6AF1-E915-4CC6-8A30-B24212E6C111.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 00C5B96C-4842-482C-A22C-C9065FEC74CD.jpeg
    00C5B96C-4842-482C-A22C-C9065FEC74CD.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 625C77E4-5D4F-4D1D-83C0-C85A77773746.jpeg
    625C77E4-5D4F-4D1D-83C0-C85A77773746.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 1A871AE1-627C-4DCE-B4A5-C599305112F8.jpeg
    1A871AE1-627C-4DCE-B4A5-C599305112F8.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 83
Up to a year, of a wait, for a new Porter trailer.
Yes your spot on there.lad here with a new porter last week said the same.he be half way between me and @muckymanor .....( k C ).
Your trailer is very safe , a credit to you.mine is an older model. Yours appears to have the " tubular type cross bars on your gates.mine a box, and have the older type lighting.
Just though kc's gates werent just as heavy as mine to lift when the 2 were side by side

They are a strong well built trailer built to last same as the Hamilton.have mine a long time.you will not see the gates or ramp bent or twisted on them like alot of other makes after alot of use.
They are a heavy trailer though
I'm finding it hard to get any info in terms of spec about them, extra weight is a concern and is why I'm going for a 12x6 twin over a 14x6 Tri

Yes your spot on there.lad here with a new porter last week said the same.he be half way between me and @muckymanor .....( k C ).
Your trailer is very safe , a credit to you.mine is an older model. Yours appears to have the " tubular type cross bars on your gates.mine a box, and have the older type lighting.
Just though kc's gates werent just as heavy as mine to lift when the 2 were side by side
Yes the gate bars are “rounded” makes them easier to wash, the next trailer will have flat sheets on it, over the original corrugated sides, on the bottom, possibly the top too, haven’t decided yet, it will help speed up washing.
They are a super trailer, for carrying cattle, yeah they are a bigger pull, than other trailers, but they are steady and they last longer with good resale.
Cost more the first day, cheaper in the long run.

Back