Which tracked digger?

I dont think you understand how the hydraulics on a excavator work. Full pump output can be achieved below max rpm. Auto idle is activated when there is no hydraulic demand on the pumps, there is a travel and implement switchs to do this.

Last edited:
Fairly familiar having driven a few for a while and been involved in some repairs. Work modes are different to getting into a cab and choosing to only put the throttle up 3/4 of the way. Sure there would be no need for work modes if track machines were built to run on half or 3/4 throttle for the day. The work mode reduces engine running speed but keeps the pumps running at the same speeds - On the volvo that I have driven with work modes, you can choose work modes for different things. eg. A mode for digging where full power is required from the pumps. A mode for levelling where you need the pumps to work at the same speed as digging but they don't need to be as powerful so they run on reduced engine revs. The computer sensors can run the engine at lower revs but keep the pumps at the same speed. But have you ever gotten into a digger with no sensors and turned down the revs? What happens? Everything runs slower. The arms move slower, the slew is slower and there is less digging power.

I don't doubt your testament to the 22t machine driver. The best driver I know spent years working on contract for Irish Rail on a Kobelco 135 and it never ran at more than 50% because it never had to-rather it was a case of doing as little as possible IYKWIM. But when he went onto land work and was being paid by the hour, he ran it at 100% throttle, 100% of the time. But I'll just ask you 1 question about this 22t machine driver - was he charging the forestry 75% of the going rate for his 22t machine? If he was as good as you say he is, then surely he could do 25% more work by running the machine at its full capacity? And then, on the other hand, if he was only running the machine at 75%, would he not be better running a machine that was 25% smaller. It would be easier on fuel, cheaper on parts and cheaper on depreciation?
Have you actually done much digger driving? From what I've read it sounds like youve spent more time reading brochures and web pages than operating them. Not meaning to hurt your feelings but thats just what ive observed from your posts on this thread.
Our EX30 has no modes etc, and it is mostly run at 3/4 throttle, full open doesnt make much difference to power or speed, but makes a big difference to fuel use.Most men ive seen that run a machine full open the whole time are hashes that i wouldnt let near a spade never mind a digger. A proper digger driver will know what revs/mode to use for each job, most of the time full open/power mode is simply not needed. A lever puller on the other hand operates at full throttle all day and thinks they are gods gift on a machine. When you get into a tractor do you do every at full throttle?

I dont think you understand how the hydraulics on a excavator work. Full pump output can be achieved below max rpm. Auto idle is activated when there is no hydraulic demand on the pumps, the is a travel and implant switch to do this.
On any machine that I have driven, full pump output could only be achieved below max rpm by using the modes. Not by lowering the throttle.

Have you actually done much digger driving? From what I've read it sounds like youve spent more time reading brochures and web pages than operating them. Not meaning to hurt your feelings but thats just what ive observed from your posts on this thread.
Our EX30 has no modes etc, and it is mostly run at 3/4 throttle, full open doesnt make much difference to power or speed, but makes a big difference to fuel use.Most men ive seen that run a machine full open the whole time are hashes that i wouldnt let near a spade never mind a digger. A proper digger driver will know what revs/mode to use for each job, most of the time full open/power mode is simply not needed. A lever puller on the other hand operates at full throttle all day and thinks they are gods gift on a machine. When you get into a tractor do you do every at full throttle?
I have never driven anything smaller than a 6 ton machine. Wouldn't consider myself a good driver but have worked alongside very humble men that have been driving machines for over 40 years and while none of them think that they are gods gift, a number of them are exceptionally skilled in what they do and have driven a wide range of track machines from basic hymacs up to 2020 machines.

I will say no more you have drove one and I'm working for a main dealer since 1998 on excavators from 13 to 85 ton.

Would the tracks be absolutely necessary this might be a curveball but https://www.donedeal.ie/plantmachinery-for-sale/1995-komatsu-pw95/26547771 it's fairly niche so could get u into places others will be wary of lots get fitted with flotation tyres in Sweden to help them offroad
If I was close to a city I'd have one in a second.
See your man Collins plant hire on Facebook?
He has every sort of attachment for one of them that you can think of does some savage work.
I'd also love to try one stacking bales

I have only driven a machine with an automatic throttle a few times, I have however done a fair amount of digging with a 3cx, and have a 3 ton mini here now
As I said already, opening these to full throttle would only be a diesel burning exercise, as there would be little or no difference to speed.

Its surprising what can be done with a 3cx, it has to be a track digger now to do everything. I'd love to own that one above.

My newest machines have all had different digging modes,fine,heavy,power,standard etc I've only ever used them at 50-75% throttle,reving them any more doesn't make a difference to digging power.

Only real advice I can give @johndeere6920s (if he's truly not having a proper digger 13t +)😁
is don't buy a midi without a blade on rubber tracks,I used to drive an ex60-5 on rubber without a blade and it was pure shite,a blade basically extends your footprint,gives you more stability and an anchor,also great for cleaning up against,they aren't for dozing with.🙈

If I was close to a city I'd have one in a second.
See your man Collins plant hire on Facebook?
He has every sort of attachment for one of them that you can think of does some savage work.
I'd also love to try one stacking bales
That tiltrotator is the makings of that machine some impressive photos on thst page there ,it tooks14t ish I'd say it seems to get up to all sorts of work

Fairly familiar having driven a few for a while and been involved in some repairs. Work modes are different to getting into a cab and choosing to only put the throttle up 3/4 of the way. Sure there would be no need for work modes if track machines were built to run on half or 3/4 throttle for the day. The work mode reduces engine running speed but keeps the pumps running at the same speeds - On the volvo that I have driven with work modes, you can choose work modes for different things. eg. A mode for digging where full power is required from the pumps. A mode for levelling where you need the pumps to work at the same speed as digging but they don't need to be as powerful so they run on reduced engine revs. The computer sensors can run the engine at lower revs but keep the pumps at the same speed. But have you ever gotten into a digger with no sensors and turned down the revs? What happens? Everything runs slower. The arms move slower, the slew is slower and there is less digging power.

I don't doubt your testament to the 22t machine driver. The best driver I know spent years working on contract for Irish Rail on a Kobelco 135 and it never ran at more than 50% because it never had to-rather it was a case of doing as little as possible IYKWIM. But when he went onto land work and was being paid by the hour, he ran it at 100% throttle, 100% of the time. But I'll just ask you 1 question about this 22t machine driver - was he charging the forestry 75% of the going rate for his 22t machine? If he was as good as you say he is, then surely he could do 25% more work by running the machine at its full capacity? And then, on the other hand, if he was only running the machine at 75%, would he not be better running a machine that was 25% smaller. It would be easier on fuel, cheaper on parts and cheaper on depreciation?
I'm know how the modes work, Now you do also having read the link Tom posted. As you were saying earlier;
the main manufacturers recommend running hydraulic excavators at full throttle.

As for your second paragraph, You're still assuming max revs equals max capacity. it doesn't. I was making the point one of the most efficient operators never ran the machine over 1600 rpm. didn't need to

Its surprising what can be done with a 3cx, it has to be a track digger now to do everything. I'd love to own that one above.
A 3cx with a good driver can do a lot of work in a day . The 4 in 1 front bucket was the best invention since the hydraulic ram.

Reactions: Vry
The father drives a new holland version full time and he doesn't like it but it is the bottom spec one
I've never driven a new Holland but lads that do seem to like them. Case and jcb are two I've spent most time in. Jcb was more user friendly the front bucket controls are easier to operate than the case. Then the case had servos on the rear so easier on the back than the jcb. As for mechanical reliability I couldn't see any difference in either

This thread is getting like the wagon versus SPFH threads of old 😁

As for those saying a certain size can be too big for a job, I thought our yard here was small but I've had an EX120 here quite a bit over the last two months and a Case 210C (I think) this week . Each certainly has It's place but seeing the Case this morning doing a job the older Hitachi would plod along at, the extra capacity is no harm

Bang for buck you can't get anything better, they will do a hell of alot of work and easily maintained. Only thing is they might not match the comfort or extra function's of a more modern machine. Iv mine nearly 3 hrs now, no contract work and over 2500 hrs put up. Has definitely paid for itself. IMG_20200524_175528.jpg

I have only driven a machine with an automatic throttle a few times, I have however done a fair amount of digging with a 3cx, and have a 3 ton mini here now
As I said already, opening these to full throttle would only be a diesel burning exercise, as there would be little or no difference to speed.

ah we all remember the sitemaster days.

Anyone here a 3cx or know of a cleanish one for sale ? Man I rent some land off is mad to get a 3cx or something along them lines

Back