Which tracked digger?

How do you tell how many revs a digger is doing of there is no rev counter, and just markings on the dial and no numbers

I've often wondered, how do those rubber blocks compare to rubber tracks for grip on soft ground.

Obviously not going to match steel tracks but would they be better than rubber ones?

I've often wondered, how do those rubber blocks compare to rubber tracks for grip on soft ground.

Obviously not going to match steel tracks but would they be better than rubber ones?
They make an awful mess of ground, kind of dig in and pluck out sods , but on paved ground they are very smooth.

Half thinking of buying a 14 ton here, thinking of either a b/c series Volvo, or equivalent series Hitachi, I want something I can shift again pretty easily if I decide plant hire is not for me! Any of the digger men on here have any suggestions?

This is our JZ70 about 8 ton. It's a very handy digger and good for ditching work with the longer dipper arm and wide steel tracks. I'ts been a good, reliable machine, but although the zero tail swing is a very handy feature in tight places I'd not have another personally as everything is tightly packed in which makes servicing difficult. Even a alternator belt change is a major job sadly.

JZ70.jpg

Half thinking of buying a 14 ton here, thinking of either a b/c series Volvo, or equivalent series Hitachi, I want something I can shift again pretty easily if I decide plant hire is not for me! Any of the digger men on here have any suggestions?

Hitachi would be the best for resale, I'm not familiar with what age that series of Volvo is, but maybe a zaxis 110 could be a good shout if you were open to something slightly smaller. You'd be in good ground conditions up your end of the country so it wouldn't matter, but they're just a bit tidier imo

Have a 140blc here, only do our own with it but happy with it. was better value and a more comfortable machine when we bought it than anything else we saw at the time.
A zaxis 130 or similar hitachi is probably going to be your best bet if you are thinking of resale. If you can find a good one at this stage.
I would look at whats available of any make, something good and clean will always sell. We had intended sticking with Hitachi before we went looking.

Was watching a vid with one of those wrists on an excavator.
Driver was doing a lot of sideways digging, not heavy but digging using the slew as the force non the less.

My question is, does this harm the digger? I can't think they were designed to take force that way. The boom is bound to be under stress, and of course the slew gear.

Is a digger that's run a wrist going to be one to avoid in the future??

Just my idle musings!😂

Driver was doing a lot of sideways digging, not heavy but digging using the slew as the force non the less.

My question is, does this harm the digger? I can't think they were designed to take force that way. The boom is bound to be under stress, and of course the slew gear.

Just my idle musings!😂
Bound to be under stress, hard on the slew ring like. Not to mention pins and bushes being put under sideways pressue, which they are meant to be

Just my idle musings!😂
It would be tougher on slew motor for sure, but then i would be dragging trees round with the slew if falling a hedge. You've made me realise i'm a really bad person now..................................:glare:

• Haha
Reactions: Paw
It would be tougher on slew motor for sure, but then i would be dragging trees round with the slew if falling a hedge. You've made me realise i'm a really bad person now..................................:glare:
😂 Don't think felled trees have the same resistance as a lump of clay!?

Are they still on go? Thought they'd gone or been taken over?
It was a 10 ton Schaeffer for 9.5 k It had a blade and wide pads looked a bit unloved but a good base to work from someone has a bit of a bargain from it , is there many using donedeal in the uk win?

It was a 10 ton Schaeffer for 9.5 k It had a blade and wide pads looked a bit unloved but a good base to work from someone has a bit of a bargain from it , is there many using donedeal in the uk win?
Oh rare machine then, i don't know whether many use it or not tbh, probably not at a guess.

theres a 07 13t jcb in eci in carrigtwohill. for 16500+vat with no buckets if anybody is interested. dad went to look at it on tuesday but wasnt impressed by the tracks and sprockets on it. they'd want to be replaced. have no photos of it. dad caught wind of it through word of mouth

would the hitachi uho be a decent machine or better off trying to find an ex instead?

Back