Wholecrop spring barley?

I don’t under stand the reason for not using a mill, even a maize mill will do the trick
Not to be smart but I’ve never seen a mill grow on the front of a harvester for free, we don’t do enough of that type of work to justify one. Yes it is obviously a better job to have one.

Yes The barley is flattened and at a guess only 25% of contractors in the country have a maize or wholecrop mill. The lad who does the maize here does not have a wholecrop head.
But he has a maize mill so that will do the finest for barley at this early stage. Swath it in 30ft an and pick with normal pickup. Your losses will be directly under the row as if using a big M, the auger swather will bring all the grain. Belly plate is needed on the harvester, but haven’t never driven one, so that’s as far as I know

Not to be smart but I’ve never seen a mill grow on the front of a harvester for free, we don’t do enough of that type of work to justify one. Yes it is obviously a better job to have one.
Who mentioned it grew there from free? Farmer employ a contractor with a harvester that is suitable for the job?

Can’t see why a farmer would be happy to have a €100 an acre of seed left out on the field, or passing through the animals for the sake of not employing the proper machine

Has anyone much experience of cutting wholecrop barley (no grass in it) with a mower and up through a self propelled with no cracker in it? It would be mowed with a non conditioner mower and raked gently straight away. A proper wholecrop head would not be able to pick up the crop I’m referring to. Has there been much of the grain passed through the animal un-utilised is kinda what I’m asking?
If you could get a big m to mow it or it’s gentle enough as the krone has paddle conditioners . It’s only the front mower that will shed a bit. It’s actually the harvester picking it that will loose the most . Going to mow 40 odd acres tomorrow with a set of krone triples , it’s a full arable mix tho with barley peas and also under sown .

I sold a field of late sown spring barley to a neighbour for wholecrop, the price and yield are based on the field next door. These are the price calculations.

2.55ha of spring barley cut as wholecrop, other field yielded @ 7.5 ton/ha.
7.5 T @ €200/T = €1,500/Ha, or €600/Acre.
Straw @ €200/Ha, or €80/Acre.
Excess P&K offtake over combine and baler @ €100/Ha, or €40/Acre.
Less combine and haulage savings @ €150/Ha, or €60/Acre.
Total
€1,650.00/Ha, or €660/Acre.
Grand Total
€4,207.50.

Back