Wildlife on the farm.

IMG_0542.png
A ‘Violet Carpenter Bee’, found it dead on the pavement this morning in Palermo (Sicily). Have never seen one before. A big fellow, but what I found most remarkable were the colour of its wing. The picture doesn’t quite do the colour justice, and it just reminded me that the natural beauty in nature cannot be rivalled.

View attachment 128602
A ‘Violet Carpenter Bee’, found it dead on the pavement this morning in Palermo (Sicily). Have never seen one before. A big fellow, but what I found most remarkable were the colour of its wing. The picture doesn’t quite do the colour justice, and it just reminded me that the natural beauty in nature cannot be rivalled.

I hope you made that photo super big!

We had an auld fella here years ago when we were at the spuds with an old Volvo, he got the same treatment, then he put it in the shed , then he was out with bags over the mirrors.
Cars been parked there for months, never decorated until today.

I saw this fellow eating what looked like a shrew or mouse on a lamp post outside the house this morning. It is not a sparrow hawk, think it might be some type of falcon but not that well up on my birds of prey.

IMG_0882.jpeg

IMG_0881.jpegIMG_0880.jpeg

Peregrine falcons have a yellow beak and darker wing feathers think.
Also they usually feed on birds that they kill in flight. I don't think they feed on rodents.
A Kestrel then?
Looks too colourful in the belly, but I don't know.

Seems to be a very good year for yellow brown dung flies. Probably a consequence of the mild winter and stock outwintered in places meaning continuing food supply.

A short while back they got scarce for some reason. But for now they're abundant here and unusually so for time of year. 20240319_113420.jpg

Seems to be a very good year for yellow brown dung flies. Probably a consequence of the mild winter and stock outwintered in places meaning continuing food supply.

A short while back they got scarce for some reason. But for now they're abundant here and unusually so for time of year. View attachment 135185
You have ground dry enough to let a cow out to sh#t on?

That's the heifers ground. They're out full time since Friday.
Cows are out today too.

If you go down deep enough there's shale base here.
Went to have a look at where we put heifers the other day. 4wd on on the quad to get through it. It was sopping wet. Cow ground I have pulled the pin on it for the time been. Just too wet hopefully after tonight things will start to improve

Went to have a look at where we put heifers the other day. 4wd on on the quad to get through it. It was sopping wet. Cow ground I have pulled the pin on it for the time been. Just too wet hopefully after tonight things will start to improve
If you have any work to do this week and it dries up enough. Do it. Next week not looking too good with low pressure from the nw again.

A short while back they got scarce for some reason. But for now they're abundant here and unusually so for time of year. View attachment 135185
Whats the story with those flies, are they something you’d like to see?

The eggs they lay on the dung help break it down allowing nutrients become available to the plants.
Whats the story with those flies, are they something you’d like to see?
All part of the food chain. These guys do absolutely no harm to the stock or the farmer.
Very shortly Dung beetles will be getting in on the action too.

Back