Winter Barley 2016

I've used Latitude on winter barley and it works really well. pity it's such a cost but does a good job with wb.

Just a bit curious but whats the story with continous barley ground going into wheat?. Is it advisable or would I be better leaving it in barley?.

Just a bit curious but whats the story with continous barley ground going into wheat?. Is it advisable or would I be better leaving it in barley?.
If you want wheat just hop over the ditch and gather a couple of tonnes, it would hardly be missed :whistle:

leaning back to Wb considering the oats Would cause a problem for the rape. beans is out of the option because we have to put in a winter crop for certin reasons. we could take precautions like extra early n for take all sow late and consider lattitude

Last edited:
Take right off AHDB. "The disease becomes most severe in winter wheat, and the consequent take-all decline is robust, conferring protection on wheat and the less susceptible cereals. However, where decline is built up under such crops, it will not protect winter wheat. Therefore, growing wheat after a barley (or triticale) crop often leads to severe take-all." A cording to them its not a great idea but im not speaking from experience.

Take right off AHDB. "The disease becomes most severe in winter wheat, and the consequent take-all decline is robust, conferring protection on wheat and the less susceptible cereals. However, where decline is built up under such crops, it will not protect winter wheat. Therefore, growing wheat after a barley (or triticale) crop often leads to severe take-all." A cording to them its not a great idea but im not speaking from experience.
Um, AHDB?.

My view of Continuous wheat is it is okay of a risk to take when grain prices are high but with the risk of a year like 2012 and the poor performance of Fungicides I would stick with Barley . At one stage I grew wall to wall Winter wheat some continuous and even third wheats using Latitude . Strobs were working and I used to grow late maturing varietys like Richmond to spread the Harvest . I have been growing Spring Wheat as a second Wheat and was lucky to get a Higher price than barley .
Around Athy they seem to be able to grow continuous wheats and sow it early but there is some Geographical thing going on .

My view of Continuous wheat is it is okay of a risk to take when grain prices are high but with the risk of a year like 2012 and the poor performance of Fungicides I would stick with Barley . At one stage I grew wall to wall Winter wheat some continuous and even third wheats using Latitude . Strobs were working and I used to grow late maturing varietys like Richmond to spread the Harvest . I have been growing Spring Wheat as a second Wheat and was lucky to get a Higher price than barley .
Around Athy they seem to be able to grow continuous wheats and sow it early but there is some Geographical thing going on .
Hmm I'll probably leave the full time barley ground as is but I'm ploughing up land at home here later in the year that hasn't been tilled in over 40 years and I'm thinking of going with wheat.

Hmm I'll probably leave the full time barley ground as is but I'm ploughing up land at home here later in the year that hasn't been tilled in over 40 years and I'm thinking of going with wheat.
In the continuous barley will be ok but don't sow to early , mid October on to help avoid take all , never seen or heard of take all in barley but I think there were some reports of it around the country this year. In the ley ground you will get 2 wheats and then a break crop , years 3/5/7 in tillage are the largest take all years I think but oats works as a take all break .

What would we be talking cost wise for latitude

Latitude is not necessary after oats, especially if the oats was reasonably grass weed free. The return on latitude in winter barley is very variable even when it is needed. Spend your money on deter instead.

latitude on barley goes on a 2/3 the rate of wheat. Id imagine itll be between €15-20/ac depending on seed rate (off the top of my head cost).

At 12 stone it's 16.50 am acre or 220 a tonne or so it was last year as I used some of it. I do think take all in winter barley is more common than we would think, a lot of it around last year.

So im thinking for this particular ground that had bad take all the previous year would be abit risky for winter barley even after one year break of oats, so to reduse risk it might be worth spending the 16.50 an acre on latitude, also we would like to try get it in early as we sowed late before on the ground and had poor emergence especially on the headlands.k

Last edited:
So im thinking for this particular ground that had bad take all the previous year would be abit risky for winter barley even after one year break of oats, so to reduse risk it might be worth spending the 16.50 an acre on latitude, also we would like to try get it in early as we sowed late before on the ground and had poor emergence especially on the headlands.k

sowing early will put more pressure on the latitude of course (not to mention every other disease).

sowing early will put more pressure on the latitude of course (not to mention every other disease).

If he is worried by Take All in Winter Barley . Plough shallow and ring roll . So as late as he can get away with and roll the field with as heavy a roller as he can get away with . Loose seed beds favour Take all . I heard of people using Ammonium Sulphate as the Nitrogen in Take all situations . I think the advise is to use Ammistar early in the Spring not sure if it is T0 or T1 .

Back