Winter Barley 2017

The bonus yield thing relates to your highest average yield in any of the last 3 harvests, it's not hard to figure out.
Its abit confusing to me, I recently decided to work out N & P rates instead of listening to advice out of intrest. So its the last three harvests of the same crop.

Its abit confusing to me, I recently decided to work out N & P rates instead of listening to advice out of intrest. So its the last three harvests of the same crop.
Ah here lad -just say your wheat averaged 4.5T in 2017, 4.4T in 2016 and 4.75T in 2015, it's the highest year you pick so use 2015, or else just do what most others do and lash it out and hope you don't have an inspection.

All aim to help the big operators and the small tillage farmers are shafted as usual.
If you are growing a crop in a good rotation and haven't enough plots to be spoiled for choice chances are you wouldn't have grown that crop in the previous few years or at best only once in the previous 3 years.
Fuck the little guy, fuck mixed farming, fuck everything other than monoculture.
The EU, the IFA and the department are cheering on as the mixed family farm dies.

All aim to help the big operators and the small tillage farmers are shafted as usual.
If you are growing a crop in a good rotation and haven't enough plots to be spoiled for choice chances are you wouldn't have grown that crop in the previous few years or at best only once in the previous 3 years.
Fuck the little guy, fuck mixed farming, fuck everything other than monoculture.
The EU, the IFA and the department are cheering on as the mixed family farm dies.
What is this in relation to gone?

Just a general rant, the rules are all skewed in favour of the big operators, the nitrates directive favours big operators.
The rules and penalties are more onerous on mixed farms and penalises small farms unduly.

Plus...at a glance the Tams2 grants aren't all of a jackpot either. Gps sprayer controls etc don't exactly hit the spot for the ordinary tillage farmer...

Looking through options to replace barley completely.
What I thought was a total disaster actually turned out to be not too bad...winter linseed!
1.4t/ha @ €590/ton = €826/ha.
€22/ha herbicide.
€18/ha fertiliser.

Barley €115 (???) @ 7.5t/ha = €862.5/ha.

Easy decision there.

Looking through options to replace barley completely.
What I thought was a total disaster actually turned out to be not too bad...winter linseed!
1.4t/ha @ €590/ton = €826/ha.
€22/ha herbicide.
€18/ha fertiliser.

Barley €115 (???) @ 7.5t/ha = €862.5/ha.

Easy decision there.
What is the linseed used for other than feeding the wild birds here and us getting paid crazy money for it?
Does it take any insecticides or fungicides at all?

What is the linseed used for other than feeding the wild birds here and us getting paid crazy money for it?
Does it take any insecticides or fungicides at all?
Baking ingredient for inclusion in breads etc.
That's all I gave it. If the weather was wet during flowering I'd have given it a cheapo fungicide.

They now want spring linseed for the baking and winter gets demoted to oil.
Linseed for baking is being offered at €580 for 2018.
Linseed for oil is €490 for 2018.

Maybe, maybe not but all I can say is that virus took a lot of yield from winter wheat with a few lads down here.
It certainly did. Two fields jb here side by side, treated nearly identically, same rotation. One field had much more virus than the other. Guess which one had the autumn herbicide/insectide and which had nothing except broadway star in the spring and no insecticide?
Seems virus issue is anything but black and white :scratchhead:

It certainly did. Two fields jb here side by side, treated nearly identically, same rotation. One field had much more virus than the other. Guess which one had the autumn herbicide/insectide and which had nothing except broadway star in the spring and no insecticide?
Is the answer to that the total opposite to what I would expect?

I don't know any history of any crops down that way anymore, I must ring DR H for a chat. 1 field in particular caught my eye. Virus levels are still quite low around here so far but may show up yet. I saw a field near Midleton that had redigo deter and aphicide and it had a lot of it on a sheltered headland. Must be a December or January infection.
Probably should be more a 2018 wb thread but I'm just wondering what the overall consensus is on redigo deter?. I've most of next year's wb seed ordered with it even though I originally said I wasn't spending money on it this year. The rep was fairly insistant I'd be making a huge mistake not to go with it so I have.

I think that brother of yours sneaks out at night to spray some of your crops when your sleeping:cowboy::cowboy:

Oh, what's the theory?
Eh honest answer not sure but the hippy in me wants to think that the autumn herbicide made the plants less healthy and more susceptible to aphids. Plus the insecticide which is marginally effective anyway in its own right may have killed beneficials that would otherwise have been helping keep aphids on check.
I think the loss of Deter would be another reason for lads to ditch ploughing. Across farm big reduction in virus generally in dd fields

Eh honest answer not sure but the hippy in me wants to think that the autumn herbicide made the plants less healthy and more susceptible to aphids. Plus the insecticide which is marginally effective anyway in its own right may have killed beneficials that would otherwise have been helping keep aphids on check.
I think the loss of Deter would be another reason for lads to ditch ploughing. Across farm big reduction in virus generally in dd fields
What herbicide did you use?
Interesting theory especially if both fields are side by side with same drilling dates. What I have noticed on my travels having a look at some of that virus in wheat is that it was very late infection and only tips of flag leaves affected but it made a right mess of the head, narrow thin black heads with shite grain. The aspect of the field was a big factor and where a field ran towards trees or a stream or glen it was far worse. I saw a case with a farmer of 100 odd acres of it, there was a small river dividing the block, the south side of the block was bigger fields and flat land and less trees and that was fine and the northern half of the farm was southerly facing and running towards the stream with trees and a small wood between the wheat and the stream and warmer ground. one side did 4.5T and the worse side 3.5T and virus was the cause.

Back