Winter barley 2019

I'm only farming part time, full time job off farm so don't have regular contact with good maize or beet customers. I prefer to be in control of my own produce so stuck with continious cereals for now. There's a lot to be said for dealing with a co-op or mill, deliver the product and the cheque arrives. It would fry my head to be dealing with guys that will say one thing and do something entirely different if it suits them.(i dont need your maize afterall had loads of silage!!!!!)
I understand where you are coming from and you have to go with what suits you best.
What happens around here a lot is the farmer let's his field to a bigger grower for either maize or potatoes. The grower takes the risk then of growing/selling the crop and the landowner has a break crop, rent from letting the field and bps.

I understand where you are coming from and you have to go with what suits you best.
What happens around here a lot is the farmer let's his field to a bigger grower for either maize or potatoes. The grower takes the risk then of growing/selling the crop and the landowner has a break crop, rent from letting the field and bps.
Yes I do see that approach around here also, it's a good way to go all right I suppose.

Yes I do see that approach around here also, it's a good way to go all right I suppose.
Until you get very bad weather and your land gets churned up. My father set land for sugar beet years ago and he always said it took years for the land to recover from the gruelling it got. I can remember the slop and the ruts myself.

Until you get very bad weather and your land gets churned up. My father set land for sugar beet years ago and he always said it took years for the land to recover from the gruelling it got. I can remember the slop and the ruts myself.
That's a risk too I suppose.

@ithastopay Still ten acres in two fields left to cut, It's actually very easy thrashing and flowing through combine lovely. I've 100 acres of straw on the flat that will need three good days.

@nashmach It's a manual balance BISO head. I need a cpu in combine to make it auto contour.

@ithastopay Still ten acres in two fields left to cut, It's actually very easy thrashing and flowing through combine lovely. I've 100 acres of straw on the flat that will need three good days.

@nashmach It's a manual balance BISO head. I need a cpu in combine to make it auto contour.

Your nearly there, it’ll all be done, it’s just not that easy sometimes.
We managed to bale what we cut yesterday and after a run of the wuffler, I got to bale the few rows we cut on Monday.
We’ve winter barley straw on the ground too, it’ll be just forgotten about now until there’s a few dry days.

from following the tame contractor around i would disagree. Some of the hybrid did very well. Most of the conventional 6 row did as well and the best yield he cut was 2 row barley. I think that hybrid really works for tough non barley ground. After that there is very little to encourage me to grow them.

Despite being pushed hard over more than 10 years, I think there are reasons why Hybrid barley struggles to get more than 15-20% of the certified market.
When you factor in the home saved market (which is all non hybrid) the share taken by hybrids can’t be much more than 10-12% (my personal estimate).

Very very early days yet but I’m watching a 2 row that may shake things up. A couple of years away though. Not even named yet.

I actually haven’t worked out out they have managed to get such a yield from a two row while getting all the other factors (straw disease and grain) right.

Edit: it has the provisional name KWS Tardis.
A couple of years away though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very very early days yet but I’m watching a 2 row that may shake things up. A couple of years away though. Not even named yet.

I actually haven’t worked out out they have managed to get such a yield from a two row while getting all the other factors (straw disease and grain) right.

Edit: it has the provisional name KWS Tardis.
A couple of years away though.
Must be a doctor who fan :smile:

Ah ok Bateman curved window was knocking picture out of focus
Usually appear up late in crop after all herbicides are done
Most weeds didn’t bother germinating last year and doubled up this year
The dogs were a bit damp and dirty the other day in the Bateman and smudged the windscreen, I may clean it.

Back