Winter Barley 2020

Quick question lads, I have converted the farm to all tillage over the last 5 years. Some of the WB fields are now 4 years in tillage and some longer, how long should i keep getting Latitude on the seed dressing for takeall?
Thanks in advance.

Exactly, later sowing, firm seedbed and good P status.

I sell latitude but I find it hard to justify on winter barley - a crop with a tight enough margin as it is.
I put some P in seedbed last year and it looked well all winter but then again all crops were good last winter. I will do same again this year.
I think I will still run with Latitude rather than run the risk. I will leave sowing till at least mid October rather than first week.

I came across this small bit of Pixel near a pylon that wasn’t cut. For a variety that has a bad name breaking down I couldn’t believe how well this little bit had stood up. Its nearly two months since that field was cut, I looked at it carefully and I reckon you would still get 95% of it.4D03350D-316F-4324-ABDD-6D6E25CE0A3B.jpeg

I came across this small bit of Pixel near a pylon that wasn’t cut. For a variety that has a bad name breaking down I couldn’t believe how well this little bit had stood up. Its nearly two months since that field was cut, I looked at it carefully and I reckon you would still get 95% of it.View attachment 70008

Very interesting indeed.

To be honest, this is the first year (out of 4) that we saw Pixel break down in the straw.
It was also the worst year in a long time for Ramularia in barley, Pixel picked up quite a bit of it late on and I think it was this that weakened the straw this year. It still yielded really well though even where Ramularia was present.

I came across this small bit of Pixel near a pylon that wasn’t cut. For a variety that has a bad name breaking down I couldn’t believe how well this little bit had stood up. Its nearly two months since that field was cut, I looked at it carefully and I reckon you would still get 95% of it.View attachment 70008
There's a possibility that it also got more than its fair share of chemicals which should help it to stand longer. I'd often see where there's a pole or pylon here and I have to stop the sprayer and fold up to move past there's always a yellower patch the width of the sprayer boom where you'd overlap to stop and restart or even just slow down when passing by. Just a theory.

Going to be hard to get good conditions for sowing winter barley now after all the rain.

Going to be hard to get good conditions for sowing winter barley now after all the rain.
Land will want a few good days to soak out around here that's for sure before you'd go out never mind trying to work it. Depends on Lorenzo now and how much rain that storm will dump on us.

Great drying wind here today, shows it's well capable of coming around again.
Could do without Thursday's forecast :fish:

Weather is to be calm tomorrow afternoon, I had planned to spray off some ley fields for winter cropping. It could be a week after that before its dry enough to plough so the glyphosate should be well taken in by then. Nothing wonderful forecast for the next week either way.

Down doing the herding this afternoon and tbh I'm amazed at how good land is. We'd floods yesterday and water flowing around the place but this afternoon you wouldn't think it had rained that hard at all. Thursday is going to bollix that up again however.

Down doing the herding this afternoon and tbh I'm amazed at how good land is. We'd floods yesterday and water flowing around the place but this afternoon you wouldn't think it had rained that hard at all. Thursday is going to bollix that up again however.

It was a lot cooler today with good drying. Plenty of water lying in spots still here .

We had a lot of rain last night, brutal heavy showers. I see a few springs starting to run this evening.Ten days ago we were in a drought.

Hope you are right Cork.There is a fair amount of seed dressed around the country.
Probably won't be the best holding it for a year if we don't get it in this year.

Hope you are right Cork.There is a fair amount of seed dressed around the country.
Probably won't be the best holding it for a year if we don't get it in this year.

It’ll be fine if kept safely.

Took a spade for a walk here this evening.

We had a lot of rain yesterday and in recent weeks.

I cannot believe how good land is, you could happily plough here today both barley & WOSR stubble.
It’s not wet land but I was expecting it to be a lot stickier.

I think we are still reaping the benefits of 2018 summer.

890665AD-081F-4745-9EBF-E4DDDA51BE33.jpeg 024BA73A-EACA-4309-A933-1E5BE0F94C7B.jpeg 76127CDA-DF2E-4753-A5A7-86B084A0FE40.jpeg

Back