Winter Barley 2020

You wouldn't want to see it either :sweat:

Has anybody decided to pull the plug on WB already? I know some will be left with no choice given land type.
We set 40 acres between yesterday after dinner which was a great day and this evening, it ploughed up in good order, ran plough only 20 mins ahead of the drill. We'd need two decent days to finish the rest of what we have planned for WB, then two more for WW. Hope to get some chance over the next two weeks for the barley the wheat can wait a little longer if needs be. This having to wait until the 14th October to set is really going to be tricky going forward.

Has anybody decided to pull the plug on WB already? I know some will be left with no choice given land type.
I have anyway. It was all oats I sowed yesterday and the next dry spell I've a bit more of them to sow and then onto ww. Other land in Tipp that was going into oats is getting sb now instead. Luckily I only ordered a very small amount of wb seed and I might sow it if I get a chance in the next 10 days.

2 fields still to sow and seeing as I have the seed I still intend to sow for the next 2 weeks anyway. The last difficult autumn sowing was 2017 and a lot of lads quit and the late spring and dry summer followed and spring crops around here were useless while winter crops put in poor enough order yielded well.

Saved 4 ton of seed and sowed a ton and half a fortnight this Thursday tipped the balance + the dreggs out the drill into the feeding barley shed it too wet to cut inside hedges now.

I have anyway. It was all oats I sowed yesterday and the next dry spell I've a bit more of them to sow and then onto ww. Other land in Tipp that was going into oats is getting sb now instead. Luckily I only ordered a very small amount of wb seed and I might sow it if I get a chance in the next 10 days.

You could still sow WO in Tipp as SO. :undecided:

I was half thinking of WO in one place but have pulled the plug on it. Will be either SO or beans (:scared::sweat:) now instead.

Saved 4 ton of seed and sowed a ton and half a fortnight this Thursday tipped the balance + the dreggs out the drill into the feeding barley shed it too wet to cut inside hedges now.
Do you not dress the seed?

I was half thinking of WO in one place but have pulled the plug on it. Will be either SO or beans (:scared::sweat:) now instead.
Still 2 weeks for W. Oats, I won't pull the plug till 1st Nov.

Still 2 weeks for W. Oats, I won't pull the plug till 1st Nov.

There's not a hope of this block drying out between now and then even if we get a harsh wind from the east.

It's not sprayed off even and would need a hovercraft now!

There's not a hope of this block drying out between now and then even if we get a harsh wind from the east.

It's not sprayed off even and would need a hovercraft now!
W. Oats will take seriously poor conditions, but no point mucking in anything at this time of year if spring cropping is an option.

W. Oats will take seriously poor conditions, but no point mucking in anything at this time of year if spring cropping is an option.
Collected the Oat seed today and going to sow next week weather permitting . If not We will sow in the Spring . Also collected a tonne of winter wheat seed as will have to up sowing rate to account for the slightly later sowing if it happens . The Covers are mostly sprayed off and the yellowness is probably visible from the space station .

Time at this stage is against me. By the time I get all mine and the brothers in on the home places it'll be gone to late to be doing anything in Tipp. I am thinking of SO now instead as I want that block there for WW next year or I'm going to have very little wheat.

Do you not dress the seed?
No I suppose their is risk with the way the weather was heading through August I had no confidence dress or buy 3 or 4 tons of seed . Their will be an online declaration form from the BSPB to to fill in shortly its just a case filling in the tonnage of home saved seed used and paying the levy.

So if this weather doesn't take up what can you do with wb seed, can't see the merchants taking it back, can it be used in the spring?

So if this weather doesn't take up what can you do with wb seed, can't see the merchants taking it back, can it be used in the spring?
They will take it back but you loose the price of the latitude, looks like there could be a few good days coming after tomorrow.

I know of a couple of people who sowed w barley in January, apparently it turned out ok. The idea certainly doesn’t appeal to me but if you were stuck with the seed and the weather was good I suppose it would be an option.

It should keep until next year ok, unless it's latitude dressed.
I wouldn't stack 1/2 tonne bags on top of each other.

How wet are conditions down south?
Is it too wet to physically pull a plough or just not as good as what would be ideal conditions?
Tipping away here any chance we get, ploughing this morning, bit of rain overnight, mouthed plough is working away, semi is working downhill for now, another hour or so and I’ll hopefully be going up the hill too.
Great drying today, we’ll be trying to make something of every opportunity we get, no matter how small.

I can only speak for Goldcrop with regard to seed returns.

We will take back 500kg bags once they are in good condition and not dressed with anything outside of the regular fungicidal treatment (so no Latitude, Manganese etc).

50kg bags are not returnable.

Winter barley has virtually no vernalisation requirement so in theory can be planted in January or February.

If stored properly (no dampness and preferably not too much temperature fluctuation, it should be fine to keep on farm until next autumn).

How wet are conditions down south?
Is it too wet to physically pull a plough or just not as good as what would be ideal conditions?
Tipping away here any chance we get, ploughing this morning, bit of rain overnight, mouthed plough is working away, semi is working downhill for now, another hour or so and I’ll hopefully be going up the hill too.
Great drying today, we’ll be trying to make something of every opportunity we get, no matter how small.

We had 30mm since Saturday and land was a bit wet before that.

Nothing sown around me, not even ploughed.

If you wanted, you could plough some land today but it would be far from optimal. Most people that I know of around here will wait for better conditions that what we currently have.
It was 4-5deg C at home this morning, the risk of BYDV is lessening by the day which is no harm anyway.

Ploughing for sowing Valerie this evening. Its comming up grand the press would tell you fairly quick but we only got 12 mm since Saturday night. It's a dry field and I think every opportunity needs to be taken. Like a neighbour said this morning if you leave everything til the perfect day that could turn out to be a busy day also when using a contractor you've to be mindful of a availability

Attachments

• IMG_20191012_102323.jpg
    IMG_20191012_102323.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 63
Ploughing for sowing Valerie this evening. Its comming up grand the press would tell you fairly quick but we only got 12 mm since Saturday night. It's a dry field and I think every opportunity needs to be taken. Like a neighbour said this morning if you leave everything til the perfect day that could turn out to be a busy day also when using a contractor you've to be mindful of a availability
Sowing away here today not ideal but not bad nice to be getting a start made

Back