Winter Barley 2021

TAMMS roller landed here a few weeks back. We went all out with a 12.3m Kverneland. Wouldnt have considered 12m only for the grant.
Minimum wheeling as we're on 24m trams.
It is 20kg/m heavier than our last roller.
We rolled 75% of what we planted this autumn.
Parked up now til the spring. 20201011_163639.jpg

I was going to start a tread yesterday "Autumn rolling" by the looks of the activity last night I should have. Our weapon of choice a Ford 7600 on duals went porus during the WB, the next choice 8340 was hedgecutting so I had to wait until it was finished to swap it over. It was probably a blessing in disguise as the chief himself can be hard to restrain from roller at times when I'd rather leave it. We ended up rolling a lot of it on Saturday with dust rising, a few headlands were left, a field of wheat and a field of barley in 7 days as it was probably gone too far. At what stage is it too far gone to roll? if the seed has just started to germinate is it too late? might also think of getting a set of LGP tyres for the 8340 next year, it's on 600x65x38 & 480x65x28, what's an appropriate size to go for.... and also out of curiosity what hp would be comfortable on a bigger 30ft roller if I was to change?
I'd looking in combine graveyards for 620/75r30's

That 12.5 m roller is good for perfect conditions. I have a 9.5 and the tractor pulling it can leave more marks than if it was narrower. On 650s.
Duels would be better.

TAMMS roller landed here a few weeks back. We went all out with a 12.3m Kverneland. Wouldnt have considered 12m only for the grant.
Parked up now til the spring. View attachment 83557
Well wear, fine looking roller. What tyre pressure are you running there? The tractor is hardly leaving a mark on the ground.

That 12.5 m roller is good for perfect conditions. I have a 9.5 and the tractor pulling it can leave more marks than if it was narrower. On 650s.
Duels would be better.
If conditions are not good you shouldn't be rolling in the first place.
Yes on 650s and I don't think there is a need to go with duals when you can lower the tyre pressure.

Well wear, fine looking roller. What tyre pressure are you running there? The tractor is hardly leaving a mark on the ground
Thank you. I think tyre pressure is around 15 psi.

Parked up now til the spring. View attachment 83557
Smashing looking job - well wear!!. Ideal that you can just have one pass between tramlines.
Depending on tyre charts, you can probably go down to fairly low pressures like 10 or 12psi.

Smashing looking job - well wear!!. Ideal that you can just have one pass between tramlines.
Depending on tyre charts, you can probably go down to fairly low pressures like 10 or 12psi.
Thank you.
That was the plan to minimize wheel tracks. Works well for hilly ground. Tramline up the hill and in between on the way down.
I only had 12acres to roll that day so I didnt bother lowering tyre pressures too much.
Rolled the rest of the fields with the tractor on 710s and had them down to 12psi. Like a kittens footprint.

I was going to start a tread yesterday "Autumn rolling" by the looks of the activity last night I should have. Our weapon of choice a Ford 7600 on duals went porus during the WB, the next choice 8340 was hedgecutting so I had to wait until it was finished to swap it over. It was probably a blessing in disguise as the chief himself can be hard to restrain from roller at times when I'd rather leave it. We ended up rolling a lot of it on Saturday with dust rising, a few headlands were left, a field of wheat and a field of barley in 7 days as it was probably gone too far. At what stage is it too far gone to roll? if the seed has just started to germinate is it too late? might also think of getting a set of LGP tyres for the 8340 next year, it's on 600x65x38 & 480x65x28, what's an appropriate size to go for.... and also out of curiosity what hp would be comfortable on a bigger 30ft roller if I was to change?
That's your too many tractors sorted so 🥺
Jeeze you never mentioned the high rollers and going to vegas:alucard::drunk:

When are the Bay City Rollers performing??

That's your too many tractors sorted so 🥺

When are the Bay City Rollers performing??
A winter project sure, the tractor was here since it was two years old, it had a 7610 engine in it with 25 years or more and has done fair hours in its lifetime so we won't be grudge it a new short block.

And it continues ffs. He ran short on seed so I'm just back now with more. Hour and half round trip to where I'm working. And I'm still waiting to plough in those 2 headlands. Fair sick of it now I can tell ye. Thank jaysus this is the very last winter crop to go in.

And it continues ffs. He ran short on seed so I'm just back now with more. Hour and half round trip to where I'm working. And I'm still waiting to plough in those 2 headlands. Fair sick of it now I can tell ye. Thank jaysus this is the very last winter crop to go in.
Itl be all forgotten about in a couple of weeks when its growing away nicely.have yous much winter stuff in this year?

It could be worse.

You could be still using the MF 30,

And the trusty MF 168 , complete with safety frame , odd remains of flexi cladding , and a down pipe exhaust.
Twud be a cool experience on this cool and breezy night. :blink:

It could be worse.

And the trusty MF 168 , complete with safety frame , odd remains of flexi cladding , and a down pipe exhaust.
@diesel power needs to focus on the harvest of this crop, that is where the money is..

It could be worse.

Last year it was tilled and sown in daylight and a heck of a lot quicker. Must be that rusty bit of downpipe giving the 168 at least an extra 75hp.
The job is done thankfully and I'm just in the door now. Plenty of rain behind that wind I'd say.

Back