Winter Barley 2021

*cough* cut the tramlines into the bottom of the trailer *cough* 😂😂
2018 we had to resow some areas in the spring barley and it was into May when they were dry enough. I told the combine man to leave them, as we had 1 field unfit so we could cut them when cutting the last field, but he ignored me and cut them first, :angry:. They were very bad, I was ashamed bring in the load, it was well hidden and the sample was 16 moisture, but the load was horrible. In with the next load and the yard man attacked me, saying if I brought another load like that it would be my last, I was being very contrite but saying I didn't know what he was talking about or how it could have happened, so he brought me around to the heap to show me, I was trying my best to think of an excuse that didn't hang the combine driver. Arrived at the heap and someone had tipped a trailer load of Oats in the barley pile on top of my green load.
So the yard man was in full flow reading me the riot act about they prided themselves on the quality of their grain and they couldn't allow that sort of thing here, and I'd have to buck up my ideas if I was to be allowed to stay drawing into their establishment. I could say nothing because we were 100% in the wrong, I was actually ashamed of the load myself.
But he was so in the zone reading me, he never saw the Oats, so I walked up to the heap picked up a handful of Oats and said, this is Oats in barley pile mate, I didn't bring in any Oats, this is not my load, nothing to with me, and walked off. He tried to give me a lecture about the green in my load, but I kept coming back with, but that is not my load, I didn't have Oats, or, but at least it is not Oats. Someone was looking down on me that day because we did deserve a bollocking for that load, but the Oats destroyed all the yard man's arguments.

2018 we had to resow some areas in the spring barley and it was into May when they were dry enough. I told the combine man to leave them, as we had 1 field unfit so we could cut them when cutting the last field, but he ignored me and cut them first, :angry:. They were very bad, I was ashamed bring in the load, it was well hidden and the sample was 16 moisture, but the load was horrible. In with the next load and the yard man attacked me, saying if I brought another load like that it would be my last, I was being very contrite but saying I didn't know what he was talking about or how it could have happened, so he brought me around to the heap to show me, I was trying my best to think of an excuse that didn't hang the combine driver. Arrived at the heap and someone had tipped a trailer load of Oats in the barley pile on top of my green load.
So the yard man was in full flow reading me the riot act about they prided themselves on the quality of their grain and they couldn't allow that sort of thing here, and I'd have to buck up my ideas if I was to be allowed to stay drawing into their establishment. I could say nothing because we were 100% in the wrong, I was actually ashamed of the load myself.
But he was so in the zone reading me, he never saw the Oats, so I walked up to the heap picked up a handful of Oats and said, this is Oats in barley pile mate, I didn't bring in any Oats, this is not my load, nothing to with me, and walked off. He tried to give me a lecture about the green in my load, but I kept coming back with, but that is not my load, I didn't have Oats, or, but at least it is not Oats. Someone was looking down on me that day because we did deserve a bollocking for that load, but the Oats destroyed all the yard man's arguments.
You were certainly very lucky that day anyway 😂
In fairness whilst my last comment was partially tongue firmly in cheek it was also partially not, when your landing up with 12/14/16 ton of barley that’s 98% right why get hung for the 2% of green grains if they happened to be sitting on top pushing your moisture up a few marks, I do also mean add a tramline or 3 not going cutting the whole fields tramlines into the bottom of one load.
It does also depend how the merchant samples the load too, one we go to the scoop a bit off the top before you tip, the other scoops a bit off the load after it’s tipped. Probably the fairest system for both sides is the spear as it’s a full representation of the load but non seem to use it anymore, there was one merchant here with a full auto arm with spear and hoover that sucked the sample straight into the office but it’s shut a long time now, I think one other has the spear and hoover but someone has to get up on the catwalk beside the weigh bridge and manually work it into the load

What way are crops yielding lads?. I did a moisture check of my most advanced wb and it came up at 25.5% so it'll be a few days yet before I start burning diesel.

Will be starting in a few days lads. First year with six row barley- any changes required in combine settings for six row versus two row??

We cut our winter oats just under the heads last year and mowed off the straw stubble a week later. Grain was 18 moisture but straw was as green as a leek. Worked well.

We cut our winter oats just under the heads last year and mowed off the straw stubble a week later. Grain was 18 moisture but straw was as green as a leek. Worked well.
I did that with spring oats one time and I went back a few weeks later with the combine and cut the long stubble and I got a tank of grain. It was about 13 acres. Put me off cutting high.

Pixel was riper than it looked. Also made a start on infinity.
Made no change to settings between the two @Rebelman and to my surprise the pixel trashed a cleaner sample. Like you first time with six row and had thought it would be harder clean with my old combine.
moisture 13.8 to 16.3 should have started a day earlier.
Bushel 63, yielding approx 3.7 to 3.9 it did get disease due to that wet last week of May causing final spray to be a week late.
Pixel broke down a lot resulting in more pidgeons than I ever saw on a crop while cutting. None lodged flat though.

Attachments

• A74F32FB-2022-4280-A22E-223AE0491DFD.jpeg
    A74F32FB-2022-4280-A22E-223AE0491DFD.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 41138513-5E88-4E0C-9D98-68EF163D33F2.jpeg
    41138513-5E88-4E0C-9D98-68EF163D33F2.jpeg
    393.4 KB · Views: 39
Cut the 18 acres of joyua today, yield was very poor for a winter crop, 2.8 tonne per acre is what it’s working out at. First time with winter barley, very grassy, it got no spray in backend, there was prob 3 or 4 acres you could consider failed in it because of water sitting in it over the winter. Im disappointed as it did the same yield with spring barley last year and less fertiliser. Seems to be a massive crop of straw on it though so that might take the burn out a bit, still very poor, might put it back in grass to hell or a crop for sheep during winter and back into spring barley

Pixel was riper than it looked. Also made a start on infinity.
Made no change to settings between the two @Rebelman and to my surprise the pixel trashed a cleaner sample. Like you first time with six row and had thought it would be harder clean with my old combine.
moisture 13.8 to 16.3 should have started a day earlier.
Bushel 63, yielding approx 3.7 to 3.9 it did get disease due to that wet last week of May causing final spray to be a week late.
Pixel broke down a lot resulting in more pidgeons than I ever saw on a crop while cutting. None lodged flat though.
Thanks for that KTM. All the best for your harvest.

Any reliable yields yet lads? Seen some cut today, swath looked small enough for the crop it was I thought.

You would know the harvest has started anyway at every roundabout in town there is a trail left behind!

Any reliable yields yet lads? Seen some cut today, swath looked small enough for the crop it was I thought.

You would know the harvest has started anyway at every roundabout in town there is a trail left behind!
Haven’t had time to get dockets together and do accurate figures. Tomorrow night hopefully.
Despite the hot days and nights, surprisingly it gets very tough 9.45 to 10.00, often worked later in poorer weather.

Back