Winter Barley 2021

Very clody ground but this is some of the barley that went in October 3rd, it’s castings and the conditions were very middling, I’m happy enough with how it looks but grass is starting to slowly appear and you would leave drains if I went near it with the sprayer now

Edit: the headland along the ditch is the fathers original covid project a “vegetable garden”

Attachments

• 02666DD8-03CA-440B-A490-A4099E1F848D.jpeg
    02666DD8-03CA-440B-A490-A4099E1F848D.jpeg
    450.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 87F67D04-AE95-4480-901F-F2E88D450A92.jpeg
    87F67D04-AE95-4480-901F-F2E88D450A92.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 79
Very clody ground but this is some of the barley that went in October 3rd, it’s castings and the conditions were very middling, I’m happy enough with how it looks but grass is starting to slowly appear and you would leave drains if I went near it with the sprayer now

Edit: the headland along the ditch is the fathers original covid project a “vegetable garden”
It will not be worth doing serious damage just to get grassweeds, but that crop will probably need an aphicide in the next couple of weeks and that pretty much has to be done and a grassweed spray could be included then.

It will not be worth doing serious damage just to get grassweeds, but that crop will probably need an aphicide in the next couple of weeks and that pretty much has to be done and a grassweed spray could be included then.
This was somthing I wasn’t sure about, in theory if the weather gets colder will the aphicide be needed?

This was somthing I wasn’t sure about, in theory if the weather gets colder will the aphicide be needed?
I really don't know enough about the climate around you, but I would guess you get less heavy frosts than we do.
If I had a crop at that stage here, I would be out looking for aphides today, and probably would mullock through if possible tomorrow, with an aphicide and 2L of Tower.

My view is that the aphids do two types of harm - they fly in and infect when they land and feed. The aphicide will only last a few days (especially if it’s bright weather) so it can be a bit hit and miss. The weather needs to be relatively calm and mild for such flight.

The worst damage is done when the aphids get into a crop and are left uncontrolled over winter. They stay in the crop and multiply, they often create circles of virus as they move outwards through the crop over winter.

Therefore, if one could get the spray onto the crop just as they finish flying for the year you’ll do the best job.
Down here, a follow up spray in January (if weather suits aphid flight) has often paid well.
I’ve nothing sprayed yet and don’t want to make tracks if I can avoid it. First commercial crop was sown 14th October.

My view is that the aphids do two types of harm - they fly in and infect when they land and feed. The aphicide will only last a few days (especially if it’s bright weather) so it can be a bit hit and miss. The weather needs to be relatively calm and mild for such flight.

The worst damage is done when the aphids get into a crop and are left uncontrolled over winter. They stay in the crop and multiply, they often create circles of virus as they move outwards through the crop over winter.

Therefore, if one could get the spray onto the crop just as they finish flying for the year you’ll do the best job.
Down here, a follow up spray in January (if weather suits aphid flight) has often paid well.
I’ve nothing sprayed yet and don’t want to make tracks if I can avoid it. First commercial crop was sown 14th October.
I would agree with you, if the stubbles were clean and well ploughed, but I find if there is a green bridge and all sods are not perfectly buried a 2nd leaf spray is necessary and worth doing some damage to get done.

Weather looks dirty enough until Thursday but that looks good so I might bull in Thursday with an aphicide and the tower. Bit off topic but what would yer thoughts be on the wheat @gone @CORK its only emerged about a week yet

Weather looks dirty enough until Thursday but that looks good so I might bull in Thursday with an aphicide and the tower. Bit off topic but what would yer thoughts be on the wheat @gone @CORK its only emerged about a week yet
Wheat is way less susceptible to BYDV and it does way less damage to wheat yield, also weeds are controlable in winter wheat even in April, so no rush, unless you get good conditions leave the wheat till spring.

If they are giving a few good days wait, but my reading of the forecast was tomorrow night and Wednesday are to be rough and it will take a few days for land to soak again after that. The only reason I was suggesting tomorrow morning was to be ahead of the heavy rain as land may be a good as it is going to get tomorrow.

Wheat is way less susceptible to BYDV and it does way less damage to wheat yield, also weeds are controlable in winter wheat even in April, so no rush, unless you get good conditions leave the wheat till spring.
That’s a relief so because the wheat ground is wet, do oats suffer from bydv or is it similiar to wheat

That’s a relief so because the wheat ground is wet, do oats suffer from bydv or is it similiar to wheat
Oats suffer from BYDV and I think you sowed early, I would like to get an Aphicide on, but weeds are easier controlled in Oats so less critical than the barley, but if I got a chance and wasn't destroying the field I would spray with DFF and an aphicide any chance I get from 2 leaf stage on.

Just checked another bit of ground What would the issue here be ? Yellow tips in random areas, hardly bydv showing up already ?

Attachments

• 6568B11C-08D3-43FF-86EA-2E6F75EF8CE3.jpeg
    6568B11C-08D3-43FF-86EA-2E6F75EF8CE3.jpeg
    540.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 10B72E88-3FAC-4DD6-9C99-6C16B7A4F1DD.jpeg
    10B72E88-3FAC-4DD6-9C99-6C16B7A4F1DD.jpeg
    554.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 4772E354-8597-4B5F-B534-4DCE330F97BC.jpeg
    4772E354-8597-4B5F-B534-4DCE330F97BC.jpeg
    471.1 KB · Views: 54
After spring barley. Super crop of SB in it there was no unusual colouring, got lime in spring, possibly the old scraw that came up having an acidic effect ?
Possibly acidic but I would have thought the lime would sort that.
Best to get a soil test on those areas right away or you’ll only be wasting your time guessing.

There was water lying in spots and it was very soft in areas, so had to pull out of that field, go finish the other 15ha and come back with the sprayer almost empty, I dropped the tyre pressures down to 8psi and it travelled very well.
IMG_20201110_164655.jpgIMG_20201110_164627.jpg

Feel so helpless with them kind of issues this time of the year
I wouldn't worry about bits of that once your crop is doing well overall. Any deficiences can be dealt with in the spring with foliar applications.
I've found lashing on Multiple to be a great success on hungrier type land and it isn't expensive. Every round of spraying next year throw in a litre per Ha and 3 or 4 kilos of Epsotop/Combitop.

Feel so helpless with them kind of issues this time of the year
Don’t sweat these things.

You’re learning and it’s new ground to you. You will get to know ground, every piece of land has it’s own issues. We have a mix of ground, some needs copper and it needs lime every so often. Some has P lock up due to naturally high pH. Another place can cap if tilled too finely.
More ground needs Manganese.

It’s only with time that you get to know these things.

Regular good soil testing is your friend here. I use Teagasc.

Cheers lads, I’m not used to this at all so when I see a bit of colour change I do be wondering where I went wrong. Must start doing the more in depth soil tests rather than the P, K and ph. What is multiple? @diesel power

Also would ye skip the herbicide on this bit of ground ? If the crop is showing deficiency like that ? I assume aphicide would be safe enough still

Also would ye skip the herbicide on this bit of ground ? If the crop is showing deficiency like that ? I assume aphicide would be safe enough still
Aphicide will be safe on the crop.

Id be careful enough with herbicide on crops at the moment where land is sitting wet or with heavy rain forecast.
Crops in this area are emerged but not exactly loving the wet conditions. A crop sitting in a soup of mud, spray and water won’t be a happy one.
A deficiency will add to the stress.

A couple of days will spray our bit when conditions allow, I’d spray the dry land first and leave the wetter fields to soak as long as possible when the time comes.

Back