Winter Barley 2021

Haven’t looked at our stuff yet but there’s not much point, I can see the puddles of water in it from the house, it’ll need a lot of drying and probably a bit of frost to travel it. Atm I’d say we’d be testing how well the sprayer would take being towed out with a track machine😂

Cheers lads, I’m not used to this at all so when I see a bit of colour change I do be wondering where I went wrong. Must start doing the more in depth soil tests rather than the P, K and ph. What is multiple? @diesel power
It's a trace elements spray. Fairly thick stuff. I'd use Gramitrel as well but it's more expensive. A lot easier get out of the can though.

I’ve it in through the back window straight into the veins, run off the isobus, . Super job.....

med_1410996386_1395790652_00028.jpg

I’m looking for the next one and I think I might have found it (not the same mega high kph but it might have the reliability)
Tardis?. Been a bit of a Dr Who geek I'm looking forward to getting a bit to try out whenever it becomes commercially available.

Tardis?. Been a bit of a Dr Who geek I'm looking forward to getting a bit to try out whenever it becomes commercially available.
yep, that’s her.

I was asking the breeder about it. There are different ways in which they can get yield into a barley variety- grain size, grains per ear, tillers per plant.
According to him, when they studied Tardis they found that while it wasn’t top for any one of the above factors it was actually nearly top for all of them.
This somewhat explains why it seems to be so reliable across trials and years.

The same guy bred Saffron, Cassia, Tower, Infinity and many more. He partly retires this year and told me that this is what he thinks is the best variety he ever bred.

Time will tell.

Saffron was a real game changer when it arrived, I reckon it added the most of a half a ton to yield of winter barley. We were after an awe full run of poor varieties up to then, three ton was was even hard to get most years. There was a very good variety back in the late eighties/early nineties called Pastoral when that went it was a big loss.

Saffron was a real game changer when it arrived, I reckon it added the most of a half a ton to yield of winter barley. We were after an awe full run of poor varieties up to then, three ton was was even hard to get most years. There was a very good variety back in the late eighties/early nineties called Pastoral when that went it was a big loss.
Yes, Saffron was a big step and it coincided with the arrival of Proline. Winter barley became a big crop from there on (brome became popular too!).

Yes, Saffron was a big step and it coincided with the arrival of Proline. Winter barley became a big crop from there on (brome became popular too!).
I remember cutting 4t of Saffron thought it was business till I cut 5t of cassia
Wonder will we ever see big yields again as deter added consistency to control of aphids and hence bydv particularly latent bydv taking a bit of yield without ever displaying symptoms
Frost coming this week but apparently aphids can survive down to -7

I remember cutting 4t of Saffron thought it was business till I cut 5t of cassia
Wonder will we ever see big yields again as deter added consistency to control of aphids and hence bydv particularly latent bydv taking a bit of yield without ever displaying symptoms
Frost coming this week but apparently aphids can survive down to -7
5T of cassia is real big mickey stuff...
Deter gave the bad habit of sowing too early and getting away with it. Highest yielding crops I’ve seen consistently over the last number of years were allways drilled after 12th October, highest ever yielding crop I’ve seen was last harvest and that was planted the 30th October, no deter but was sprayed late dec, it’s that time the most damaging bydv I’ve seen has been done in the past.

Back