Winter Barley 2021

5T of cassia is real big mickey stuff...
Deter gave the bad habit of sowing too early and getting away with it. Highest yielding crops I’ve seen consistently over the last number of years were allways drilled after 12th October, highest ever yielding crop I’ve seen was last harvest and that was planted the 30th October, no deter but was sprayed late dec, it’s that time the most damaging bydv I’ve seen has been done in the past.
I’d say sub clinical take all & ryncho are big issues.
The arrival of virus tolerant varieties won’t solve those problems.

5T of cassia is real big mickey stuff...
Deter gave the bad habit of sowing too early and getting away with it. Highest yielding crops I’ve seen consistently over the last number of years were allways drilled after 12th October, highest ever yielding crop I’ve seen was last harvest and that was planted the 30th October, no deter but was sprayed late dec, it’s that time the most damaging bydv I’ve seen has been done in the past.
If you want to know the secret of 5t barley call down sometime
don’t bring de Rona with you

I’d say sub clinical take all & ryncho are big issues.
The arrival of virus tolerant varieties won’t solve those problems.
What is it about BYDV that makes it possible to breed resistance to it more easily than to other pathogens. Is it because it's a virus rather than a fungi?

Niter too early
I’d be the exact opposite opinion but that’s what makes us all different. What I do not agree on is the huge loading of niter early and in some cases lads have it all out before the end of March, I’d be far more inclined to be drip feeding it away almost to gs37, bit like wheat actually. Despite what’s recommended by the advisory body.

What is it about BYDV that makes it possible to breed resistance to it more easily than to other pathogens. Is it because it's a virus rather than a fungi?
I don’t know to be honest.
It could be just luck that they found the tolerance in wild grasses.

I can’t say that genetic resistance or tolerance to viruses is easier to develop than to fungi.

Why are direct drilled crops sown so early ? Is it fear of not being able to use them drill types of weather breaks. I was once told with direct drilling In winter sow as early as possible and in spring as late as possible

Winter barley is much more delicate compared to wheat.
Across Ireland, winter barley is put into really poor situations; continuous barley, sown too early, low lime, wet land etc. etc. It really does the crop no favours.

I’d be the exact opposite opinion but that’s what makes us all different. What I do not agree on is the huge loading of niter early and in some cases lads have it all out before the end of March, I’d be far more inclined to be drip feeding it away almost to gs37, bit like wheat actually. Despite what’s recommended by the advisory body.
I'd agree, little and often, used to do that up to 2 years ago but then due to work commitments and advice it went out in big splits this past 2 years but going back to my old habits this season hopefully.

Ya was all set up to go this morning and turned out to be b#tch of a day, light mist on and off, soil turned over real nice tho so drove on.
Last years wheat was sown non inversion deep till and beans before it sown with the claydon- ground in great order after it all real dark colour to it
What variety and seed rate ? Looks in great order

Sprayed most of mine yesterday with Tower and Wolftrax manganese. As you say, ground conditions surprisingly good. Too wet to finish today so hope fully Monday or Tuesday. I left out the aphidcide as I hate using insecticides and I’ll take a chance on aphid numbers being very low after the frost.

There's a lot of yella barley around here already anyway, some of it water related but more looks like spray related.

Back