Winter Barley 2021

I think Thursday/Friday is going to be a complete washout.
I'm in trouble so. This is in wheat but the rainfall that fell here yesterday afternoon for nearly an hour fcuked land altogether. I was in this on Friday just gone putting out the last of the N and no bother. I couldn't walk it yesterday evening. Wb will be just right for spraying near the weekend. Land not even close. 20210517_190800.jpg

Going with Boogie Xpro for my final on the WB. Unsure about whether to add Folpet to it......everywhere I read people are saying it’s a poor product so why bother??

Going with Boogie Xpro for my final on the WB. Unsure about whether to add Folpet to it......everywhere I read people are saying it’s a poor product so why bother??
I think it is going to be a bad Ramularia year, all the stress caused by too much pesticides on during less than ideal conditions.
If no other application of a multi-site was made in the last 10 days, it is the best we got and I would include it, but Ramularia seems to do whatever you expect it not to.

I’m not an expert at reading plants but I think the ramularia has already developed in some of the winter barley here, it got serpent, decoy and folpet as a T2

Am I right or totally off the mark ?

Attachments

• 18154277-9FC7-4B4D-B203-649C971A2DE4.jpeg
    18154277-9FC7-4B4D-B203-649C971A2DE4.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 64
  • C062DE52-D8F8-41F8-92E8-FAC441DB65C6.jpeg
    C062DE52-D8F8-41F8-92E8-FAC441DB65C6.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 64
The amount of N in FYM must be a lot higher than I thought, 90 units of chemical N per acre in total and one PGR (medax max) won’t be long falling down when there’s a big of weight on the heads 😒

The amount of N in FYM must be a lot higher than I thought, 90 units of chemical N per acre in total and one PGR (medax max) won’t be long falling down when there’s a big of weight on the heads 😒
I don’t rate medax max as a barley PGR at all.
The straw will be at it's weakest at the moment and will stiffen up a good bit, but as you say the head will also be getting heavy. Hopefully we are getting all the shit weather now and it be out of it's system and we will get a good June, July and August.

I don’t rate medax max as a barley PGR at all.
The straw will be at it's weakest at the moment and will stiffen up a good bit, but as you say the head will also be getting heavy. Hopefully we are getting all the shit weather now and it be out of it's system and we will get a good June, July and August.
I was very skeptical as from my own research through this forum nearly everyone doesn’t like medax max on barley, however it was the agronomists decision and at the time that barley actually looked so poor he recommended not to give it a PGR that it would be short enough. Again though I believe it got its roots into the FYM and that’s what drove it. The whole time that it was fit to get terpal we were getting hard frosts and when they left nearly all heads were fully out so didn’t want to try that, maybe 70 units of N would have been enough for this crop

I wouldn’t be too concerned about a few small patches going down early in a crop. Especially on a field where dung was spread, bound to have been a few lumps fell off the spreader here and there. I used Medax Max on all the winter barley this year because I was told it would be easier on the crop and it certainly shortened the crop, nearly too much.

How close to ley is that crop and how much FYm did you give it? What rate medax max and when?
I don’t mean to be negative but barley going down over 2 months from Harvest is not good.

It’s 2 years from ley and the ley would have been hungry I would have thought (cut for silage twice during summer, never grazed, poor fertiliser strategy) it got .6kg medax max. It got roughly 6 tonne of FYM to the acre pre ploughing. Ya it’s definitely not good that it’s going down but not much can be done now, this barley looked as bad as the wheat or worse at the start of March

Back