Winter Barley 2021

Any reliable yields yet lads? Seen some cut today, swath looked small enough for the crop it was I thought.

You would know the harvest has started anyway at every roundabout in town there is a trail left behind!
We haven’t started cutting yet, hopefully we’ll get going on Friday.
Ive heard a few yields, individual fields varying from 3.44t to 3.9t.
I baled a bit of straw this evening, great dry straw, but not enough of it, we didn’t get the field finished, no exact yield, it’s definitely back under 10 round bales per acre, 8 to 9 is my expectation.

Haven’t had time to get dockets together and do accurate figures. Tomorrow night hopefully.
Despite the hot days and nights, surprisingly it gets very tough 9.45 to 10.00, often worked later in poorer weather.

Is the straw green or waxy enough and probably stopping you when the life goes out of it?

There is a decent fog here every evening now from around 9 and it just rolls along the valleys but burns off quickly.

I cut some on hire today. Yield range 3.25 to 4t and moisture average 16. Joyau is the variety, serious straw on some fields and not so much on more. Straw very damp so it will need some drying. 10 acres left there for tomorrow morning and might try my own then but some soft grains in it still. A run of the combine will decide.

Cut one field of castings today, yield is just under 3.7 tonne per acre, much better than yesterday’s crop, 16.5% moisture, will probably bale the joyua straw tomorrow, one of the lads turned it over with the rake today with the curtain off, seems to have done a job on it

Is the straw green or waxy enough and probably stopping you when the life goes out of it?

There is a decent fog here every evening now from around 9 and it just rolls along the valleys but burns off quickly.
Straw is ripe enough other than tramlines.
We would always leave it for 2 days before baling anyway but that could possibly be reduced to one day with this weather.

Straw well back in volume here. Raw and brittle too. Grain yields 3.7 - 4t which is surprising considering lack of straw.

Straw not quite fit here, still with moisture in it. Stopped by 9 as it was getting tough.

I would often get the trailer operators to check for losses or leaks . I would also drive the combine hard at the end of a long run and stop it and let it blow all the chaff and straw into heaps . I would then check the heaps for losses . Teagasc were using a video where the guy checks for losses at the beginning of a swarth . which is a pure waste of time .

I would often get the trailer operators to check for losses or leaks . I would also drive the combine hard at the end of a long run and stop it and let it blow all the chaff and straw into heaps . I would then check the heaps for losses . Teagasc were using a video where the guy checks for losses at the beginning of a swarth . which is a pure waste of time .
Leaks fine, I would consider it the responsibility of the driver to get out regularly and check for losses.

Back