Winter Barley 2021

I'm intrigued, expand.
Combine losses can be for many reasons, the easiest and quickest way to figure out where the losses are from is to watch the combine in work.
You can stop the combine dead while thrashing and learn the same, but a few seconds walking beside a combine will tell me the same thing and way easier to repeat my way many times as you fine tune the settings.

Combine losses can be for many reasons, the easiest and quickest way to figure out where the losses are from is to watch the combine in work.
You can stop the combine dead while thrashing and learn the same, but a few seconds walking beside a combine will tell me the same thing and way easier to repeat my way many times as you fine tune the settings.
For example, too much air will look the same as the sives being closed too much, when looking at a stopped combine, but very different when walking beside a working combine.
I'm not having a go or anything, I just think it's unusual that the customer would be as familiar or more familiar with the settings of a combine than the owner/driver. It certainly wouldn't be the norm in my experience.

I'm not having a go or anything, I just think it's unusual that the customer would be as familiar or more familiar with the settings of a combine than the owner/driver. It certainly wouldn't be the norm in my experience.
I don’t think you are having a go and understand where you are coming from, but I would view checking combine settings the same way as crop walking and crop management, as @Ugo Schtiglitz said about advise he received from C.R. Wynne, "If you are not making 90% of these decisions yourself you have no business calling yourself a farmer".
Each 1% grain lost out the back of the combines here is a €1,000+ lose to my margin, not to mention getting the best possible sample for sale.

Stick you hand under the back of the combine while it’s driving along to see whats blowing out at different speeds.

Belfry is doing about 9t/ha @ 15%, I thought it looked a little bit better, but the cold spring and then the drought seems to have affected it more than it looked, you see every drain before it was cut which is never a good sign looking back.

Belfry is doing about 9t/ha @ 15%, I thought it looked a little bit better, but the cold spring and then the drought seems to have affected it more than it looked, you see every drain before it was cut which is never a good sign looking back.
How’s your KPH g, they are quite low down around this side, plenty 58-63 at low moisture

Its been a very uneven growing year. Id be happy enough with that but I work off the premise that no matter what I hear there are more sub 4 ton crops in any given year than above it

Started at 62 and went up to 64/5 after adjusting the combine, a run through a drier would up them again, dry but not ripe, a lot died rather than ripened.
My pixel was 61-63 at low moisture and the castings we cut today was 66-68. 6 rows in general are busheling very poor across this area, not fully sure why but long narrow pinched grains.

Cut my bit today the cassia did 4 ton 13.6 moisture kph 68-71.5
Valerie did 4.2 at 68 kph average at 15% moisture
I’d consider that to be a brilliant result the year that’s in it.
My average was 3.7 ton to the acre moisture 13 to 15 and bushel 62 to 63. Very little difference between pixel and infinity. Might change varieties next year.

Started into my own yesterday afternoon. I dont know what way its yielding per acre yet but it's not weighing in the trailers like it should. Moisture started out at 21% in the first field which I ended up leaving as it was increasing as I crossed it. The field I finished up in last night was down to 13.6 moisture.

Back