Winter barley 2022

What are you putting on? I am planning on starting tomorrow with 2l of Tower and an aphicide.
2ltr Tower, 0.05 ltr lambda and 1ltr Mancozin. Haven’t done Mancozin this time of year before but Agronomist recommend it.
Ground traveled very well, very small amount of mud on tyres.

What are you putting on? I am planning on starting tomorrow with 2l of Tower and an aphicide.
Tower and transform the new aphicide going on here in the morning is the plan hopefully. Missed out getting it on Friday as it was late by the time we got the transform and then Saturday was not a spraying day. Hoping tomorrow will be ok

I had to go with pellets on some of the barley after the beans over the weekend. Field was pressed after ploughing and got rolled too. Combined pressing and rolling have helped reduce the damage , the little skips the roller missed when turning were far worse with slugs.

it was discussed before but what sort of plan would ye be thinking for fert on winter barley. All N and no P K ? Quarter rate P and K and three quarter rate N ? Just wondering what ye have in mind.

it was discussed before but what sort of plan would ye be thinking for fert on winter barley. All N and no P K ? Quarter rate P and K and three quarter rate N ? Just wondering what ye have in mind.
I will be going with 150kg/ha N, 22.5kg/ha P & 45kg/ha K. But if MOP can be bought reasonably I will go with an extra 62.5kg/ha of K, if I can sell the straw.
All the above is based on forward bought fert, Sulcan and 18-6-12 were the products available.
At current prices I would be taking a "P" holiday on winter cereals in high P ground, but winter barley needs K or it will be weak and you will run down soil reserves very quickly.

Last edited:
I will be going with 150kg/ha N, 22.5kg/ha P & 45kg/ha K. But if MOP can be bought reasonably I will go with an extra 62.5kg/ha of K, if I can sell the straw.
All the above is based on forward bought fert, Sulcan and 18-6-12 were the products available.
At current prices I would be taking a "P" holiday on winter cereals in high P ground, but winter barley needs K or it will be weak and you will run down soil reserves very quickly.
If all was going well what would your normal N rate be on say winter barley after wheat after a break?

If all was going well what would your normal N rate be on say winter barley after wheat after a break?
I will probably bottle it next spring and early summer, buy more fert and go with another 25kg/ha.
But for the moment I am telling myself I will cut rates drastically, time will tell how much I over shoot these plans.

At the moment I’m thinking of going with 1 bag of 10-10-20 and 3 bags of can. 1.5 bags of compound have been incorporated at sowing. Might put on a bit of a show again and bring the slurry tanker out instead of a bag

5/6/35 is going to be my feet of choice , the K will cost me but I can take a p holiday on most of my ground but saying that I will be looking at 2.5 bags to the acre and maybe pulling back my overall n usage after . As others have said price of grain and fert will be the deciding factor in the spring.

5/6/35 is going to be my feet of choice , the K will cost me but I can take a p holiday on most of my ground but saying that I will be looking at 2.5 bags to the acre and maybe pulling back my overall n usage after . As others have said price of grain and fert will be the deciding factor in the spring.
Will odd ball compounds like that be available?

Will odd ball compounds like that be available?
It’s normally readily available with one supplier I buy from but that’s not saying , when I go to my other supplier about it he always pushes me towards other products ,, you will know better than me tho . You have me worried about my crop growing plans now 😝😝😝😝😝

What would you expect the 32 units less to reduce your yield by? This is a discussion we had to today at our tillage discussion group meeting, just curious as to another opinion
I really am not sure, I am shooting in dark here.
I will reduce all other inputs as well, only shortener will be slightly under half rate Terpal, will try shave off 10% on fungicide.
I am not sure how it will work, but will try.

Early N is very important here on winter barley to prevent tiller death but it's the most under utilised N application of the year due to cold soil temps. Will be keeping a close eye on soil temps and reducing rates to minimise losses here.

Early N is very important here on winter barley to prevent tiller death but it's the most under utilised N application of the year due to cold soil temps. Will be keeping a close eye on soil temps and reducing rates to minimise losses here.

Do you mean soil temps with lads going to early, and not getting the uptake?

Back