Winter barley 2022

have sheep in fields next door to a couple of barley fields. Land is lovely and dry here again, any advantages of letting them in to graze for a week ? Or disadvantages ?

Advantages….I don’t know cos I’ve never done it or seen up close it being done.
Disadvantages….they’ve probably spent the last while trying to break into the barley field and as soon as you put them in and want them to stay there, they’ll probably break out of it and completely wreck your head!!! Sheep…..I’m still in therapy cos of them 🙄🤣

In theory should winter barley have used most of the P it requires by spring ? Want to buy fert today or tomorrow, thinking of going on a P holiday, all ground got a good coat of muck and the stuff before the date got 1.5 bags of 0-7-30 at sowing indices would be 2/3 for P

In theory should winter barley have used most of the P it requires by spring ? Want to buy fert today or tomorrow, thinking of going on a P holiday, all ground got a good coat of muck and the stuff before the date got 1.5 bags of 0-7-30 at sowing indices would be 2/3 for P
Winter crops will get very little use out of P applied after Paddy's day, unless it is on very low index P ground.
If P indexes are OK well established winter crops will have found enough P for themselves, if on index 1 or 2 and the crop is a bit poor a small bit of DAP fert as early as possible will be of benefit. I like 250kg/ha (2cwt) of 10/10/20 as early as possible on backward crops, there are very few I have seen this year.
If P index is high 2 - low 3 I would be looking for something like 15-3-20+S.
375kg/ha (3cwt) will supply enough to grow a crop, but you will be robbing from the soil, but needs must on a year like this.

Back