Winter barley 2022

I am surprised Tower left so much chickweed behind. Is that a Fumitory seedling in the bottom left corner of the last pics? I wouldn't be overly surprised by it being left, but other than that there is nothing a hit of Fluroxypyr wouldn't sort out in the spring.
Mines had nothing
Only issues I will have is a patch of meadow grass
Anything else as you say will get hit in the spring

Going by the colour of crops and the growth of covers and osr, there was plenty of residual N around this year. Maybe some savings possible.
I reckon that crop of winter will easily do with 15kg/ha less N, 20kg/ha less P and 50kg/ha less K.
I know with the P and especially the K it will be stolen from available reserves and it can't be done every year, but no point buying very dear fert to build indices on a year like this.
I think that crop will get 375kg/ha of 15/3/20+S around Paddy's day.

I reckon that crop of winter will easily do with 15kg/ha less N, 20kg/ha less P and 50kg/ha less K.
I know with the P and especially the K it will be stolen from available reserves and it can't be done every year, but no point buying very dear fert to build indices on a year like this.
Passing by @gone acres today, and very impressed with the grazing operation. Plenty of nutrient return from that too. You may sell off half that gold niter if these hippy trends keep up.

What total N will you be aiming for then @gone for this year considering everything

What total N will you be aiming for then @gone for this year considering everything
I was just thinking that my Nitrogen reduction was way out for this year, I was more talking about when fert prices were normal.
It is very strong high yielding ground, if fert was cheap I would be going around 200 kg/ha, with dear fert I will be cutting the rate by 20% to 160kg/ha and with the crop looking so green and forward I hope to cut back a bit further to 150kg/ha.

Turn the landlice

Turn some landlice
in for a few days
I'm not sure it is too forward, it is very forward, but not sure if the benefit from grazing would out weigh the cost of the extra fert needed to replace the greenery that would be grazed. iykwIm. I would graze if fert wasn't a mad price, or if I had my own "land lice".

I’d agree with the p and k cut back as the p and k has been picked up from last autumn but I can’t understand how the forward crops would need less N tho? There has often been forward crops before and lads have fertilised them the same as later crops and I can’t say I’ve ever seen them to be too heavy or lodge because of excess N. Can somone explain this theory for cereals?
Edit:I’d somtimes have seen early sown forward crops as needing extra early N in particular as they are thick, well tillered and forward coming into late feb and losing tillers is not a good idea.

I’d agree with the p and k cut back as the p and k has been picked up from last autumn but I can’t understand how the forward crops would need less N tho? There has often been forward crops before and lads have fertilised them the same as later crops and I can’t say I’ve ever seen them to be too heavy or lodge because of excess N. Can somone explain this theory for cereals?
I would agree with you, I think OSR is the only crop that make use of N in that way.

The way I see it, a thin backward crop needs extra N early just to try promote tillering, a thick forward crop needs significantly less early N to maintain tillers.
I am sure that thick forward crops will very rarely be hurt by extra early N, but that does not mean every unit used always gave a good return on investment.
I still could be wrong on this, but better way to check is for both of us to do a control plot.
I will increase my first N application by 30kg/ha on 2 tramlines in one field, (and if you are willing) reduce your first N application by 30kg/ha on 2 tramlines.
We can compare notes on what way the plots go compared to the rest of the field.

The way I see it, a thin backward crop needs extra N early just to try promote tillering, a thick forward crop needs significantly less early N to maintain tillers.
I am sure that thick forward crops will very rarely be hurt by extra early N, but that does not mean every unit used always gave a good return on investment.
I still could be wrong on this, but better way to check is for both of us to do a control plot.
I will increase my first N application by 30kg/ha on 2 tramlines in one field, (and if you are willing) reduce your first N application by 30kg/ha on 2 tramlines.
We can compare notes on what way the plots go compared to the rest of the field.
I’d reckon visually the extra or less N will not be very noticeable but the combine would tell would be my guess but yes remind me again and I will.

When are ye putting the balance of compound out on WB if you drilled it with some fert down the pipe? I sowed the Valerie with 1.5 bags/acre and just have another 1.5 bags/acre in stock for the next application. Will this be enough this year seeing that it’d normally get 4 bags 10-10-20 total in the two splits plus 4 bags N later on. Crop is thriving and land is fertile and limed up to date.

When are ye putting the balance of compound out on WB if you drilled it with some fert down the pipe? I sowed the Valerie with 1.5 bags/acre and just have another 1.5 bags/acre in stock for the next application. Will this be enough this year seeing that it’d normally get 4 bags 10-10-20 total in the two splits plus 4 bags N later on. Crop is thriving and land is fertile and limed up to date.
Why the 40 units of p? Are you index 1?

Some of the fields are bordering 1 and 2, we reckon because the yields taken off are in general excellent, that the index is harder to increase. My theory anyway. Soil is tested for all trace elements and is low in none.
You will have plenty p in 30 units, the 60K would be just enough tho.

On index 4 ground would you chance no p&k this year other that some hen litter applied pre ploughing.

On index 4 ground would you chance no p&k this year other that some hen litter applied pre ploughing.
No problem going without P, but I would not go without K, it just runs down very quickly if straw and grain is being removed and yields suffer even with a small drop in K. If you have been putting out manure regularly on this field then there should be no issue even without K, but all the K in the hen litter is very unlikely to be available this year and if it is very fresh, it may even be locking up K when rotting. I would still go with 125kg/ha (1 bag/acre) of MOP.

Last edited:
No problem going without P, but I would not go without K, it just runs down very quickly if straw and grain is being removed and yields suffer even with a small drop in K. If you have been putting out manure regularly on this field then there should be no issue even without K, but all the K in the hen litter is very unlikely to be available this year and if it is very fresh, it may even be locking up K when rotting. I would still go with 125kg/ha (1 bag/acre) of MOP.
How many units an acre of k would you normally put on spring barley?

How many units an acre of k would you normally put on spring barley?
Spring barley is a last resort here and only put in when nothing else fits, since I lost my malting contract in 2009. I am not near as in touch with what is best practice on K with spring barley, I would be more worried about available P for spring barley. I have been meaning to go a talk to some of real spring barley growers who are splitting the K applications and using K very late on their spring barley, they claim to be getting very good results.
To answer your question I am going with 30-35 T/ha of FYM and 250kg/ha of 18-6-12+S.

Back