Winter barley

Does anyone get the yield kick they claim?

If they could get 6 row to bushel they might be on to something.

Anyone I've spoke to that grew it didn't get the yield due to breaking down. Also grain quality not as good as small grain size means more shell.

According to the ads for hybrids, there's €135/ha available over growing 2rows - that must be true..........

There aren't too many grain buyers that want 6 rows. The hybrids do bushel better than the old 6 rows but the hybrid grain is small - all husk, no flour. Useless for rolling.

The competition seem to be keen on knocking Cassia and Tower so they shouldn't expect any support from me......

Talk of some buyers not wanting 6 row around here next year. There is so much bullsh@t talked about the hybrids. The seed should sell itself without marketing blurb.

Interesting points in the hybrids lads especially sowing rates.

Does the same apply in the UK trials?

Just thinking that if they don't and provided the varieties are the same, it would be more comparable?

It may only be a matter of time before it can't be mixed, pig farmers won't want it, if they learn they are getting it.
In our case all our grain goes to an end user for pig feed, for that reason we will be steering clear.

Interesting points in the hybrids lads especially sowing rates.

Does the same apply in the UK trials?

Just thinking that if they don't and provided the varieties are the same, it would be more comparable?

Only problem about UK trials Nash is that its a different climate. I'm studying them with 13 years and know at this stage to be careful drawing too many comparisons between UK and Irish trials.

It may only be a matter of time before it can't be mixed, pig farmers won't want it, if they learn they are getting it.
In our case all our grain goes to an end user for pig feed, for that reason we will be steering clear.

That's the problem. The only way to shift it is to blend it. We were going to grow volume a few years back to blend. We were told to stick it in to any ground @5st and we would have a barn buster. I couldn't bring myself to pay the price for the seed. Maybe it was our loss?

Some seem to get on well with hybrids though.

Only problem about UK trials Nash is that its a different climate. I'm studying them with 13 years and know at this stage to be careful drawing too many comparisons between UK and Irish trials.

Very valid point alright and of course the different resultant yield pressure.

I know the control grouping will be different too. I suppose where I was going (and with my statistics head on), if the UK trials took an appropriate seed rate and it showed say a 5% less yield advantage to the two rows it would be statistically significant and difficult for anyone to argue with. If you see where I'm going.

All theoretical really!

Tell us about this kosmos stuff??

6-row conventional that seemingly beating hybrids in trials, Denmark for sure possibly UK and seemingly Ireland as well but don't know for sure

A replacement for Liebiniz but still a 6-row,

I saw good bushels and low screenings on volume this year, it's hard thresh though even with newish combine, find sample hairy so to speak, awns etc

I remember Pict six row conventional coming in at 20% screenings, now that was bird seed

Saffron was the beginning of the winter barley revolution, I cut 4t/acre in 2007 thought it was unreal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6-row conventional that seemingly beating hybrids in trials, Denmark for sure possibly UK and seemingly Ireland as well but don't know for sure

A replacement for Liebiniz but still a 6-row,

I saw good bushels and low screenings on volume this year, it's hard thresh though even with newish combine, find sample hairy so to speak, awns etc

I remember Pict six row conventional coming in at 20% screenings, now that was bird seed

Saffron was the beginning of the winter barley revolution, I cut 4t/acre in 2007 thought it was unreal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked up some Irish info on Kosmos today. Yield close to the hybrid Quadra. Quality almost equal to Leibniz.

I found with Quadra 2 seed rates 220s/m2 and 275/m2 the higher rate had reduced yield which was complete opposite direction of cassia and liebiniz which higher seed rate increased yield

I personally wouldn't sow the hybrids on a field scale for a few reasons

1) Straw standing at harvest
2) no measured benefit over 2 row
3) grain quality
4) persistentsnce of volunteers (3yrs later still appearing)

But I can see where they can work but I find not for me

I'll be sticking with cassia as its like ronseal does what it says on the tin!

Thinking of a nice high seed rate 375seed/m2....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Back