Winter Beans

Government dictates that I’ve to grow wbeans this year. Things are getting late for DDing them in, so I was thinking on striptilling them in. I don’t have a striptill so I’d be hiring a contractor. Anyone have experience of using striptill…what row width, plants/sqm etc?
Would the ground need a scratch to encourage weed germination? Will be getting Nirvana @ 3L/ha. Ground sprayed off with glyphosate.

We use a strip till machine to establish beans.
It's 3m wide with 9 legs so leg row widths are 33cm apart.
As for seeds/m² they say 30 here but 25 will do and even down to 20. They tiller well.
I sow into a cover and spray with nirvana and a glyphosate 3 to 4 weeks after sowing depending on weather.
Will crows be a problem and what are soil temperatures like with you this time of year??

As for seeds/m² they say 30 here but 25 will do and even down to 20. They tiller well.
I sow into a cover and spray with nirvana and a glyphosate 3 to 4 weeks after sowing depending on weather.
Will crows be a problem and what are soil temperatures like with you this time of year??
As above, I’d agree with all that.

I’d be planting around 30/sqm. Why do you wait a few weeks to spray nirvana & glyphosate?
No yield penalty for planting at 33cm?
I wouldn’t be planting for another month at least. Conditions in December can be excellent or pure shyte. If it’s good conditions I’ll DD them in, but if poor conditions I’ll get them striptilled. DDing in poor conditions has never ended well with me.

I’d be planting around 30/sqm. Why do you wait a few weeks to spray nirvana & glyphosate?
No yield penalty for planting at 33cm?
I wouldn’t be planting for another month at least. Conditions in December can be excellent or pure shyte. If it’s good conditions I’ll DD them in, but if poor conditions I’ll get them striptilled. DDing in poor conditions has never ended well with me.
The strip till process can cover some of the cover crop with soil. Waiting a couple of weeks allows any living cover crop to peep through so the glyphosate can get it. The surface weathers a bit so the Nirvana creates a better seal.
It can be a close call sometimes though as the beans can get close to the surface and you mightn’t have the Nirvana + glyphosate on.
Glyphosate before sowing would be ok too and follow on after planting with the Nirvana.

The winter beans tiller quite well so 33cm seems to be fine.

Strip till in bad conditions is bad news, no better than dd in bad conditions. Plough might be better in mediocre conditions (or don’t sow at all).

I think these will be in the trailer for a long time. Gave them a stir with the Lidl grain stirrer . No hot spots.

Attachments

• 062E745C-29A1-4B80-BBD2-94D64F972B7D.jpeg
    062E745C-29A1-4B80-BBD2-94D64F972B7D.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 98
  • 894F1C10-70B5-4C19-8918-B9706521B36C.jpeg
    894F1C10-70B5-4C19-8918-B9706521B36C.jpeg
    425.3 KB · Views: 98
The strip till process can cover some of the cover crop with soil. Waiting a couple of weeks allows any living cover crop to peep through so the glyphosate can get it. The surface weathers a bit so the Nirvana creates a better seal.
It can be a close call sometimes though as the beans can get close to the surface and you mightn’t have the Nirvana + glyphosate on.
Glyphosate before sowing would be ok too and follow on after planting with the Nirvana.

The winter beans tiller quite well so 33cm seems to be fine.

Strip till in bad conditions is bad news, no better than dd in bad conditions. Plough might be better in mediocre conditions (or don’t sow at all).
Striptill in poor conditions wouldn’t be so far off plough/onepass?
Bought a lash of plough parts just in case. I wouldn’t mind ploughing because after 9yrs of non-inversion tillage there’s a build up of amg and soft brome.

Bought a lash of plough parts just in case. I wouldn’t mind ploughing because after 9yrs of non-inversion tillage there’s a build up of amg and soft brome.
Strip till in bad conditions just puts the seed into an anaerobic slot that’s likely to get very waterlogged unless it’s really open loose free draining soil.
Plough and one pass has some chance of getting air into the soil but to be honest if conditions are poor, it’s just better to stand back and leave it.

How deep would you have to plough it to get rid of the AMG ? Is the AMG just a symptom of the soil condition and this point in time. Is the ploughing just changing the condition of the soil and not just killing it by burying it.
My experience of mintill was no weeds for two years then brome and now brome is not much of a problem but some fields have AMG . I could have ploughed and think it solved the brome where as it solved itself . I could plough the AMG but it might be solved by further changes in the soil structure or rotation.

How deep would you have to plough it to get rid of the AMG ? Is the AMG just a symptom of the soil condition and this point in time. Is the ploughing just changing the condition of the soil and not just killing it by burying it.
My experience of mintill was no weeds for two years then brome and now brome is not much of a problem but some fields have AMG . I could have ploughed and think it solved the brome where as it solved itself . I could plough the AMG but it might be solved by further changes in the soil structure or rotation.
Use lime. AMG is partly a function of surface ph. And bare soil for some duration. I found it exploded here on some fields after grazing over winter cover crops but a tonne of mag lime seemed to make it disappear. The ph from the basic soil test is not a good enough yardstick. The best test is a litmus strip on a handful off the top.

The oats are smothering out a lot of the broadleaf weeds in the crop they don’t have the same effect on the beans. The oats were broadcast with fert spinner at 60 ft and the beans dd with a horsch co4 10 inch spacings at 2 inches deep .its the allopathic effect of the oats that helps weed control and pre emerge can be left out in some cases

Attachments

• IMG_1035.jpeg
    IMG_1035.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 46
Back