Winter Oats 2019

So I'm tempted to direct drill a few acres of husky. Any suggestions on timing? Also have access to mushroom compost could I broadcast on top after drilling?

So I'm tempted to direct drill a few acres of husky. Any suggestions on timing? Also have access to mushroom compost could I broadcast on top after drilling?
I like to sow Oats after the plough close to the 15th of October around here and close to the 10th if Non-inversion tilled you being a bit north could go a day or two earlier, but the fertilizer from the mushroom compost would drive it on a bit? Between the 10th and the 15th would be where I would aim.

Would the mushroom compost be ill advised for oats I wonder
How worn or fresh is the ground?
The mushroom compost now contains way less fert value than it use to.
I don't have any knowledge of D.D. but some fert in the first couple of years in Non-inversion tillage is a big help, but I would like to delay sowing by a few days if the mushroom compost is going to drive growth.

I think I'll skip the compost this year just to see how it goes
I would like to use some, especially if you are changing from the plough to direct drilling. Way less N available in the frist couple of years away from the plough.

A little lime close to the emerging plant in DD is a help, I Think @Hardysplicer @Ugo Schtiglitz @Always Thinking
From what little I know @gone, oats are a weed and will grow in your ear. A little lime to boost p release is prob no harm at all. Whats mushroom compost like for n? Very low i think. A little n do no harm to dd I'd say esp first year? Can always call it a cover crop if it goes sideways.

Is it too early to plant oats? Was hoping to wait another while but with the forecast for next week am tempted to go at it this weekend. I’m based in the Sunny South!!

Is it too early to plant oats? Was hoping to wait another while but with the forecast for next week am tempted to go at it this weekend. I’m based in the Sunny South!!

Too early here anyway in my opinion. I’m 2-3 miles from the sea. It’ll just turn to disease ridden silage if I planted it here before the 20th October.
20 miles inland would be a different story.

Back