Winter Oilseed Rape Tips

How do you drill it? I would think cork is right in his observation, I saw some rape today with a good bit of variation in it. Still haven't mine sprayed yet

its dk cabernet

not pigeons or compaction related.

the area of the field that is worst effected was the driest when sowing,

its probably was shortage of moisture and different germination dates.

every year i get a small amount of small plants that never produce much, im wondering is that a sowing depth problem?

I think you are spot on.

I've seen the effect of moisture a number of times. I believe there isn't enough importance given to moisture conservation in wosr. Sowing depth is important but not too deep. Sealing in moisture immediately at sowing seems to be the key. Ring roller right behind the drill and if cultivating the ploughing ahead of the drill you shouldn't get too far ahead.

Adequate tilth is also very important.

Going to put more N on wosr tomorrow. Just need to decide whether to put it all on or hold back 30 units for later. Will have a look to see how high the crop is.

Interesting article here on how the crop takes up N.

Glad I lashed it on at the end of March, thus giving the crop time to take it up. Had to read this a few times to get my head around it.

I really would like to get some late N on to keep the grain filling.

http://academy.fwi.co.uk/Courses/Arable/Oilseed-rape/Late-nitrogen-management

Going to put more N on wosr tomorrow. Just need to decide whether to put it all on or hold back 30 units for later. Will have a look to see how high the crop is.

Interesting article here on how the crop takes up N.

Glad I lashed it on at the end of March, thus giving the crop time to take it up. Had to read this a few times to get my head around it.

I really would like to get some late N on to keep the grain filling.

http://academy.fwi.co.uk/Courses/Arable/Oilseed-rape/Late-nitrogen-management

Would it be ok to put out the last of the granular fert now while it's at decent height for travelling through as I don't plan on putting the row crops on.then in a few weeks give it some liquid N trough the sprayer have u ever tried it N16 is tom breens product is it?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Would it be ok to put out the last of the granular fert now while it's at decent height for travelling through as I don't plan on putting the row crops on.then in a few weeks give it some liquid N trough the sprayer have u ever tried it N16 is tom breens product is it?

Yes John, that would be a great idea. Plenty of data to show that liquid N at the end of flowering can give yield benefit. I think it is mentioned in my link above?

Sorry I'm on the phone at the minute and Il read the link.when u get the laptop back.as u said u guaranteed I would lodge the sensation :-S

Just took a walk (with difficulty) through our August sown Sensation.

Some pictures attached.

From what I can tell, it looks to have very good potential.

Just finished flowering, it looks very uniform with profuse branching and long plentiful pods. Pod canopy looks to have good depth.

A lot of Light Leaf Spot on the leaves despite having received 3 applications of prothioconazole in its life. Just like Septoria, LLS must have loved all the wet weather we have received since November.

Crop is approx. 5ft tall. A lot of crops are shorter this year depending on the pigeon pressure they were under.

A couple of patches have leaned heavily in sheltered patches which were doubled with N.

Fingers crossed now for continued good grain fill and some good weather to get it in the trailer :whistle:

Attachments

• WP_20140525_001.jpg
    WP_20140525_001.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 49
  • WP_20140525_002.jpg
    WP_20140525_002.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 44
  • WP_20140525_003.jpg
    WP_20140525_003.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 44
  • WP_20140525_004.jpg
    WP_20140525_004.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 41
  • WP_20140525_005.jpg
    WP_20140525_005.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 40
cork , we will be in with liquid n soon , will get some pics of subsoilered rape ,and field sown with vaddy , how much seed are you putting on to h/a .

fields which had pig slurry have looked best all year ,

going to see phillip Watkins tomorrow ,with view to making a strip till machine for rape ,sugar beet ,and maize ,, @50cm leg spacing , with opening disc ,then new Metcalfe ng leg , wavey disc running in slot and 2 discs to make a little burm ,then either 2x 700,mm dd rings or a tyre running ,to make a zoned packer .

subsoiler with seeder gives good results ,and pull plough press behind to help chop lumps and firm it , then roll and pellet ,

cork , we will be in with liquid n soon , will get some pics of subsoilered rape ,and field sown with vaddy , how much seed are you putting on to h/a .

fields which had pig slurry have looked best all year ,

going to see phillip Watkins tomorrow ,with view to making a strip till machine for rape ,sugar beet ,and maize ,, @50cm leg spacing , with opening disc ,then new Metcalfe ng leg , wavey disc running in slot and 2 discs to make a little burm ,then either 2x 700,mm dd rings or a tyre running ,to make a zoned packer .

subsoiler with seeder gives good results ,and pull plough press behind to help chop lumps and firm it , then roll and pellet ,

[MENTION=1700]jm7799[/MENTION] , we planted 48-50 seeds/m2. I'm more of a fan of ploughing for osr. Direct drilling is quicker but I have concerns over increased slug pressure, seed depth placement and seed/soil contact.

It would be great to see your pics

done a bit of n on rape ,cork , will get you pics of slurry put on 12m round side of one field and one where it was piped on all field ,it looks thicker and is maybe 18 inch higher ,

Watkins rape subsoiler drill is here tomorrow ,
when it drys up will be out with rest of n and get some pics in another piece what was vaddy drilled ,
we have also weed wiped a bad patch of blackgrass in some wheat with roundup ,should be able too see what its killed as been done over a week now ,
beet is meeting in rows now looks good , omex fert with some n in it has done a good job on poorer sand land ,
early spring sown barley on ex beet land looks like a good silage crop ,had 200kg,s seed and every one grown and had nice bit pig slurry ,and 3 growth regs ,has calmed down now ,but very thick ,
vining peas look really good ,or did till all this rain , need some warm dry weather now or will go backwards with wet feet ,
some maize 6 inch high , last sown all up and around 3 inch ,
will try and get some pics of it all for you ,if it ever stops raining

Sprayed the WOSR with Podstik yesterday. Won't apply glyphosate for another 3 weeks or so.

Well here we go again, ploughing for winter rape.

Yield was disappointing this year - 1.6tn/acre at 8.5-9%.

However, I feel that it is worth pursuing as this was our lowest yield ever and if we gave up barley or wheat after a bad year then we would have given up on them a long time ago!

I am also a great believer in rotation and the benefits of a break crop.

Aim to plant around the end of the month.

Press lifter on the front is working perfectly! Hopefully will get a chance to paint it during the winter.WP_20140816_010.jpg

WP_20140816_012.jpg

Well here we go again, ploughing for winter rape.

Yield was disappointing this year - 1.6tn/acre at 8.5-9%.

However, I feel that it is worth pursuing as this was our lowest yield ever and if we gave up barley or wheat after a bad year then we would have given up on them a long time ago!

I am also a great believer in rotation and the benefits of a break crop.

Aim to plant around the end of the month.

Press lifter on the front is working perfectly! Hopefully will get a chance to paint it during the winter.View attachment 22752

View attachment 22753

Jaysus the press does nice work :thumbup:

that press is a super job..
your crops are really uniformed since you started using it.
it so simple at minimum cost!
id rate it a fair bit better than our press on da front of da one pass
im on da look out for one myself tbh

So you turn the whole field upside down and then you pack it all down again to try and get it firm ?:whistle::D:D

So you turn the whole field upside down and then you pack it all down again to try and get it firm ?:whistle::D:D

I know - we're complete dinosaurs!

Not getting into the mintill/direct drill/plough debate just now but this system certainly gives us reliability and less chance of grass weeds getting out of hand.

Cost wise, in terms of diesel and depreciation it isn't off the wall either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know - we're complete dinosaurs!

Not getting into the mintill/direct drill/plough debate just now but this system certainly gives us reliability and less chance of grass weeds getting out of hand.

Cost wise, in terms of diesel and depreciation it isn't off the wall either.

I would think with your type soils that the method that you are using is the most economic with proven results. After ploughing you basically have a seedbed ready to sow. If I was to take my land as an example it would need 2 or 3 runs of some cultivation tool after ploughing to knock into as good a shape as yours is in the picture

Everyone knows there own land best and the establishment system which is best suited to it. However, I've always thought min till is as effective if not more effective than ploughing for oilseed rape establishment. teagasc did research some years ago on establishment methods in osr. stuff that was broadcast on and disced in had the lowest plants per square meter but yielded the highest. It was something like less plants but more pods per plant.

Everyone knows there own land best and the establishment system which is best suited to it. However, I've always thought min till is as effective if not more effective than ploughing for oilseed rape establishment. teagasc did research some years ago on establishment methods in osr. stuff that was broadcast on and disced in had the lowest plants per square meter but yielded the highest. It was something like less plants but more pods per plant.

I've carried out plot trials to compare plough/onepass, direct drill and subsoiler methods of establishing WOSR. In the year I did it, there was no difference in yield - all three yielded well.

However, I consider the plough/one pass method the lowest risk and most reliable method.
I don't like risk when it comes to crops.

I understand were you are coming from Cork. Like you said ploughing is, without doubt, the safest option as well as being a strong defence against grass weeds

Lads without hijacking her to much.
when andy doyle was talking about the risk of transferring disease from this years osr crop if min tilling the next crop after disease problems in osr this year..anyone chancing it?i was hoping to put in 70 acres after osr with the grubber

Lads without hijacking her to much.
when andy doyle was talking about the risk of transferring disease from this years osr crop if min tilling the next crop after disease problems in osr this year..anyone chancing it?i was hoping to put in 70 acres after osr with the grubber

If you are going from osr to cereal or cereal to osr I don't think there is any disease which can transfer from one to the other.

What Andy meant was that where osr stubble was next to a new osr crop - disease can easily transfer by wind from one to the other (I've seen this happen very dramatically with Light Leaf Spot). Therefore if sowing osr near last years osr stubble, it would be advisable to bury last years osr stubble first.

The only risk I would see from using a grubber to cultivate for the new cereal crop after osr is that slug pressure may be higher as you wont be burying the eggs. Unless you give it multiple passes to dry out the soil and therefore kill the eggs.
Sterile Brome etc will also be encouraged if you don't plough.

Back