Winter Oilseed Rape Tips

Similar here, it really drove on this past ten days,would you be a bit worried with crops being so forward?
Only growing rape a few years and never had crops like this at Halloween before.
Would frost / snow be a problem?
It’s a good complaint I think. I wouldn’t worry, it’s all just leaf, the plant won’t be any more advanced than it should be.
It still won’t flower till April. Soil & air temperatures must have been good and therefore it’s able to hoover up whatever Nitrogen that’s in the soil.

It should be in a much better position to handle pigeon grazing than if they were small hungry plants.

Reactions: Bcl
There must be a lot of residual nitrogen in soils this autumn, wb looks a picture too despite early slug pressure, wheat only peeping today so hopefully it can push on too.
Grass growth this past three weeks has been poor around here but crops are thundering on despite middling enough weather

Sown 20th September which is prob 10 days past cut off date. Took chance on it as conditions were super at drilling and needed to get cropping mix back in order. Hopefully be able keep pigeons off it. Ambassador sown @3kg/ha. Herbicide will go on shortly20201108_123652.jpg20201108_122533.jpg

Sown 20th September which is prob 10 days past cut off date. Took chance on it as conditions were super at drilling and needed to get cropping mix back in order. Hopefully be able keep pigeons off it. Ambassador sown @3kg/ha. Herbicide will go on shortlyView attachment 84217View attachment 84218
Good man, it’s good to maintain a rotation. What herbicide are you thinking?
Astrokerb is good but will give the crop a little set back in my experience.
I assume you’ll give it a run of Proline at some stage although crops appear clean so far from what I’ve seen.

Good man, it’s good to maintain a rotation. What herbicide are you thinking?
Astrokerb is good but will give the crop a little set back in my experience.
I assume you’ll give it a run of Proline at some stage although crops appear clean so far from what I’ve seen.
Has Astrokerb much advantage over Kerbflo? Field has good bit of fumitory so may need a follow up with Belkar later.
Will have a proper look for phoma before I spray

Sown 20th September which is prob 10 days past cut off date. Took chance on it as conditions were super at drilling and needed to get cropping mix back in order. Hopefully be able keep pigeons off it. Ambassador sown @3kg/ha. Herbicide will go on shortlyView attachment 84217View attachment 84218

Our own was sown on the 12th , not sure on variety but it’s a seed crop and is looking well. I’m holding to go with astrokerb I think. Crop is ok but don’t want to set it back , think it needs to be colder for astrokerb to work well. It’s in land with wet spots so hoping frosty weather will come in a month or so and go then ..... ever the optimist !!!!

Has Astrokerb much advantage over Kerbflo? Field has good bit of fumitory so may need a follow up with Belkar later.
Will have a proper look for phoma before I spray
It has a broader spectrum for sure without being mega bucks. Belkar is a handy product. Perhaps wait till January for the Astrokerb?

Could hold off just want to get it on before weeds get too strong, last thing I want to do is set it back. Few volunteers still hanging about but they are small,it got 0.3 of falcon 3 weeks ago

Got the WOSR sprayed today.

Ambassador & Expansion are the varieties.

Proline at 0.6L/Ha and Epso Bortop at 10kg/Ha.

No visible disease but you need to be ahead of Light Leaf Spot. I never really bother incubating leaves in the hot press to see if LLS is present , if it’s there then it’s probably too late as getting dry leaves in WOSR at this time of the year is difficult and it’s a very hard disease to control if it gets going.

Small tank fills and tyres at 10-12psi meant very little tramline damage.

Hopefully get a chance to get the cereals sprayed soon.

A5613EB3-D0B2-40F5-9AC9-9315527E7965.jpeg59735E74-ED31-48B2-85D7-EEA0424FAD6F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the WOSR sprayed today.

Ambassador & Expansion are the varieties.

Proline at 0.6L/Ha and Epso Bortop at 10kg/Ha.

No visible disease but you need to be ahead of Light Leaf Spot. I never really bother incubating leaves in the hot press to see if LLS is present , if it’s there then it’s probably too late as getting dry leaves in WOSR at this time of the year is difficult and it’s a very hard disease to control if it gets going.

Small tank fills and tyres at 10-12psi meant very little tramline damage.

Hopefully get a chance to get the cereals

View attachment 84540View attachment 84541
Spraying with the back window open !!! Worse than with no cab at all. :ban::ban::ban::rolleyes:

Dalton seed oilseed rape getting astrokerb today. Very happy with how it’s going considering it was sowed in the middle of September. Few wet spots with poor areas but happy with the crop

Attachments

• AF45003A-FF49-4D23-BB29-E23BA51C2462.jpeg
    AF45003A-FF49-4D23-BB29-E23BA51C2462.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 48
  • C85BB8C9-1259-45C5-BAF7-7BE609BFBB28.jpeg
    C85BB8C9-1259-45C5-BAF7-7BE609BFBB28.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 47
Dalton seed oilseed rape getting astrokerb today. Very happy with how it’s going considering it was sowed in the middle of September. Few wet spots with poor areas but happy with the crop
Looks well. What was it sowed with, not the horsch? or does the seed house look after that end of it. Some hybrid barley Sown locally a few years ago and the breeder looked after the growing mostly

Did i meet you in a massey today? Well wear!
Viscous rumours, you might have met me but nothing about well wear. I was on it for 3 hrs and none of them were pleasurable,no offence to any Massey fans but they are not a comfortable tractor (that’s me being polite) and it was 201 7720. I was back on the 6910 which is 20 years older and a lot more comfortable. I can see where the price difference comes into, if I wanted a fleet of tractors for drivers they would work but I would not like to put 1500 to 2000 hrs a year up on one myself .

Looks well. What was it sowed with, not the horsch? or does the seed house look after that end of it. Some hybrid barley Sown locally a few years ago and the breeder looked after the growing mostly
Sown by the seed company , they use a precision drill like a beet or maize seeder .

Took a walk through the WOSR plots this afternoon, the surrounding crop of Ambassador and the plots themselves are looking healthy.

Pigeons just starting to graze so I’ll get a banger going tomorrow.

66B30A46-E9D4-42AB-A3C7-FF323CAD79B8.jpegD1A0D63A-A0D0-487A-84D1-B9223EFB52E1.jpeg

Mine looked like that 2 weeks ago but pigeons have hammered it since, you should see it now .....! Lovely looking crops btw
Thanks, pigeons haven’t been an issue here over the past couple of years for some reason but they’re back this year.
Our WOSR is in scattered fields this year which doesn’t help control.

Reactions: Bcl
Back