Winter Wheat 2015

Anyone else finding the yield this year compared to other years very area dependant, some areas averaging up 5 to 10 percent and others just close to there norm

I'd have to say I've never had winter wheat yield like it has this year. I had one field over six ton to the acre, barley and oats have done very well but the wheat has performed exceptionally well.

I'd have to say I've never had winter wheat yield like it has this year. I had one field over six ton to the acre, barley and oats have done very well but the wheat has performed exceptionally well.

Thanks Iggy, what variety was the wheat?

Anyone else finding the yield this year compared to other years very area dependant, some areas averaging up 5 to 10 percent and others just close to there norm

I had 3 fields of wheat all after osr and there was .8 of s tonne between best and worst but I'm putting that down to fertility and the poorest field was that thin 1 that got ate with slugs and crows in November, I had pics of it up in March when I rolled it but there is some huge yields out there but plenty normal enough 4.25-4.5 tonne crops but you'll never hear about them tho

I had 3 fields of wheat all after osr and there was .8 of s tonne between best and worst but I'm putting that down to fertility and the poorest field was that thin 1 that got ate with slugs and crows in November, I had pics of it up in March when I rolled it but there is some huge yields out there but plenty normal enough 4.25-4.5 tonne crops but you'll never hear about them tho

High yields make headlines it will be interesting to see how much the average yields are up by the end of the year.
Our wheat is between 4 and 4.6
winter barley 3.3 to 4 plus, not all added up yet.
winter oats 4.1.
spring barley is getting it hard to break 3.
Those are farm yields, individual fields would have yielded better but whats the point in focusing on them, its the overall average the dictates profit or loss.

One man locally got 5.3 of winter wheat the same field last year did 2.25 of spring barley, another got a fantastic yield of 3.9 on spring barley, interestingly both those high yields came in second leys.

High yields make headlines it will be interesting to see how much the average yields are up by the end of the year.
Our wheat is between 4 and 4.6
winter barley 3.3 to 4 plus, not all added up yet.
winter oats 4.1.
spring barley is getting it hard to break 3.
Those are farm yields, individual fields would have yielded better but whats the point in focusing on them, its the overall average the dictates profit or loss.

One man locally got 5.3 of winter wheat the same field last year did 2.25 of spring barley, another got a fantastic yield of 3.9 on spring barley, interestingly both those high yields came in second leys.

The media such as the journal and farming indo today all talk like the whole country is getting well over 5t in wheat and up near 4t in spring barley, it's driving the lad down the road mad wondering why he only got 3t and not 4t etc, I've no doubt but their are some fantastic crops out there breaking records but these are the minority from talking to lads.
Your 2nd lea comment says it all really, fertility freshness and break crops are the key.

Second Lea always yields well .

Our yields are Winter Oats weighed 3.8
Spring Barley Dry Estimate 3.25
Winter Wheat Dry Estimate 4.2
Spring Wheat 2.8 @ 18% .
I can estimate dry weights because sheds and bays are fairly full and the only variation is KPH. The spring Barley Yield is very high for us .

On average here so far wheat yields would be up, a good bit in places.

Some things are hard to explain, like a 1st wheat yielding the same as continuous wheat in some farms. It's down to weather conditions and the ground. It seems the heavier the ground this year the better the yield for wheat. In a wet year I know which type of ground I would prefer to farm though.

Was talking to a forum member last night and he spoke of the feel good factor with the yields, but that it will be lost when all the numbers are crunched and grain is paid for. Big yields are no use if we are no better off.

Did anyone note the Teagasc man in the independent say how the better growers are getting bigger yields? I find this annoying. It's got more to do with location than the actual grower. I kind of get the impression over the past few years that man has a habit of rubbing people up the wrong way.

I'd say the independent have the 'conacre market gone wild one the back of bumper harvest' article ready to roll for next week. That paper is no friend of the farmer. Journal is heading in the same direction.

Very heavy few here this morning, it's like it has rained.

Winter wheat averaged 4.7 over 70 acres , some second ley and some only in tillage 4 years . Very happy with that as 4 would be a good average for us . Cut a field of spring barley for a customer second ley that did 4.2@ 18% only got 65 units of n .

A big rig planting some Goldcrop Avatar wheat seed yesterday :thumbup:

Attachments

• WP_20150925_18_59_17_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150925_18_59_17_Pro.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 73
A top prize of a free copy of last weeks farmers journal goes straight to you!!!

they upset the rest of us wen they arrive in town with all their flashy gear. heard there was a challenger sowing too but its usually only grubbing

Seed merchant lorry arrived back at ours yesterday with 4 bags of wheat seed,
Variety was called evolution ?? Not heard of it before

Any knowledge any one ??

Seed merchant lorry arrived back at ours yesterday with 4 bags of wheat seed,
Variety was called evolution ?? Not heard of it before

Any knowledge any one ??

Evolution is a very high yielding feed variety. Bred in Denmark. Handled by Limagrain UK. Had it here but it wasn't clean enough for our climate.

[MENTION=3048]ithastopay[/MENTION] that's the drill and black tractor you need. Matching front press too.

Bit late now... the red and yellow drill has joined up with the blue.
Options on tractor colour for the future are still wide open.

Back