Winter Wheat 2017

Cut most of the winter wheat plots on Saturday. They hadn't been ripe the previous Wednesday but a couple of days made a real difference.

This year has certainly been a wheat year around here.
Despite being roasted by PGR in the spring, barely having 2.5 clean leaves and having a scattering of both Fusarium and BYDV through the plots, the control varieties (Avatar and Diego) averaged 5tn at 20%Mc.
Four fungicides (incl Bravo T0), no late PGR.
The crop looked shabby enough to my eye.

I saw at least one variety reach 6tn/ac across its four plots at 20%Mc - a first for me.

Sown after WOSR on the 12th October. Many units of N.....

While every year is different and some down right horrible (2012), it shows the potential of the crop. Imagine what could be achieved in the right year if we could control Septoria......

Granted these are plot yields with no tramlines etc. The area used in the calculation does include the idle ground between the plots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cut most of the winter wheat plots on Saturday. They hadn't been ripe the previous Wednesday but a couple of days made a real difference.

This year has certainly been a wheat year around here.
Despite being roasted by PGR in the spring, barely having 2.5 clean leaves and having a scattering of both Fusarium and BYDV through the plots, the control varieties (Avatar and Diego) averaged 5tn at 20%Mc.
Four fungicides (incl Bravo T0), no late PGR.
The crop looked shabby enough to my eye.

I saw at least one variety reach 6tn/ac across its four plots at 20%Mc - a first for me.

Sown after WOSR on the 12th October. 200 units of N.....

While every year is different and some down right horrible (2012), it shows the potential of the crop. Imagine what could be achieved in the right year if we could control Septoria......

Granted these are plot yields with no tramlines etc. The area used in the calculation does include the idle ground between the plots.

Go on spill, what variety did 6t??

Forget about Cesario, 'forgot' to harvest a field and the hags were gone after 2weeks being ripe and not a drop of rain.

Go on spill, what variety did 6t??

Forget about Cesario, 'forgot' to harvest a field and the hags were gone after 2weeks being ripe and not a drop of rain.

I'm afraid that would be an Ecumenical Matter.

To be honest, it would have been new varieties in test. KWS Conros got damn close.

The maximum fertilisation rates of N on winter wheat have been increased to 210, 180, 120 and 80 kg/ha across N index 1-4 (Schedule 2, Table 16).
After rape wheat is index 2 so only 180Kg/ha which I think is 144 unit N . We need varieties that yield and comply with the regulations . We used regularly grow 4 tonne with 120 units of N after sugar beet . We pay for extra N and chemicals in the hope of 5 tonne . The extra tonne drives down prices and certainly clogs the market to the benefit of the overall industry but the farmer gets to share none of it and takes all the risk .

This year, probably 5.4tn. I've my eye on a possibly better one. Saw 5.9 in 2011. (swiftly followed by 2.5 in 2012).
6.25 after maize in 2015, without even trying.... what's worse it was a bit of contract farming so we were no better off than if it had done 4. In fact we were worse as we had to draw all those extra tonnes

Last edited:
We grew 3 varieties of wheat,

Skyfall, has done nearly 4t,

Revelation,,,,, that was a revelation,,,,,, 3, 3-5'mmmmmm

Olympus, Dire dire dire,, 3 and a bit,

All had same/similar agronomy, all derailed into perfect seed beds, to be fair our winter was warm and dryish,, so maybe it didn't get cold enough here,, growing season has been fair too,,, our best wheat followed spuds,

All looked very good early on,, we'd normally look at 4-5, 4-75 avarage, boss is scratching his head (as is the agronomist !!!!!!)'
Still damp rain has stopped play, 2 X 18 AC fields of revelation to cut, the beans are a while of yet

Too easy...imagine the hashtag potential?? #cultivationmehole #nannyvalleydeliversagain
#zerotill #750a #rootsnotiron #certifiedseed @seedtech
And quietly in my head id be going #notanothertool
Serious yields tho. Were they both DD. garrus seems to be doing well from what I hear but not much of it down here as lads were too afraid of the 4 it has for sprouting.

Back