Winter Wheat 2017

The rain & thunder we've had these past few hours up here has been biblical. Even if the rain stops, travelling will be out of the question for days.
I cut wheat at 24/25 % last week - was wondering if I was wise. Good decision now!

Chins up dudes. I haven't started my harvest yet and I've got the warning orders for back to school but we'll get there. Cut it, bulk it, ship it, collect cheque, then adapt to your means for next year. Everything else is beyond us at the moment.

@Blackwater boy how widespread is it across the block? Have you looked at other varieties. I know going out looking at wheat like that in wet weather is hard, but it won't be as bad as you think when you get the combine in.
U.S. Small lads talk in fields KJL not blocks/farms!!! I've 2 fields left to cut that were not ripe last Thursday week which was the last day there was any wheat under 25% MC down here.
Went to see a few other crops in the area, Costello seems ok, jb has the odd 1, Rockefeller a nice spattering and saw garrus yesterday in south tipp where they only got half the rain and no fog and drizzle and that's nicely sprouted. I'll check lilli tomorrow as I have that too.

View attachment 47433

View attachment 47432 View attachment 47430
This was what I felt was my best ever looking field of wheat. It's Rockefeller which is a 7 for sprouting. Just soul destroying stuff

U.S. Small lads talk in fields KJL not blocks/farms!!! I've 2 fields left to cut that were not ripe last Thursday week which was the last day there was any wheat under 25% MC down here.
Went to see a few other crops in the area, Costello seems ok, jb has the odd 1, Rockefeller a nice spattering and saw garrus yesterday in south tipp where they only got half the rain and no fog and drizzle and that's nicely sprouted. I'll check lilli tomorrow as I have that too.

That's not too bad then, not what you want but could be worse. There will be more cutting done before the weekend.

Would I be right in saying most of the garrus would be cut by now?

That's not too bad then, not what you want but could be worse. There will be more cutting done before the weekend.

Would I be right in saying most of the garrus would be cut by now?
There was very little garrus down here, anyone I had any involvement with I encouraged them not to grow it due to the 4 for sprouting and we are the home of sprouting here in the valley, it's a nice variety with savage yield potential but just too dodgy south of the mountains. Last time I had winter wheat sprout was in 2008.

Reactions: KJL
That's the risk with wheat in Ireland. I had Oakley sprout in 08 & 09. Character building stuff.

I have few fantastic looking wheats in trials (very early days, some not even in official trials yet). Massive yield potential, great straw and very good Septoria resistance. However, I know in my heart that they aren't good on sprouting.

Soul searching required as to whether to progress them or not.

Watching a crop lose yield potential during the season is disappointing but to see actual hard-earned yield evaporate is heart breaking. Hopefully combines will roll again closer to the weekend.

@Blackwater boy how widespread is it across the block? Have you looked at other varieties. I know going out looking at wheat like that in wet weather is hard, but it won't be as bad as you think when you get the combine in.

I wouldn't go looking for trouble or problems, no point looking at wet straw or wet hay after rain, it would only annoy a farmer.
How much less will the wheat weigh after sprouting?

We cut a bit of high moisture wheat on Saturday, got a load from another man too and got it crimped yesterday.

I wouldn't go looking for trouble or problems, no point looking at wet straw or wet hay after rain, it would only annoy a farmer.
How much less will the wheat weigh after sprouting?

We cut a bit of high moisture wheat on Saturday, got a load from another man too and got it crimped yesterday.
I don't know how the yield will be affected, I'll know whenever it dries up. I was spreading fertiliser on grass beside it so I went for a look plus going forward its no harm to know what handles weather and what doesn't so next years decisions can be made hopefully more wisely but in saying that I'm sure there is worse off fields of wheat around.

Seen loads delivered to a local intake today at 29.5%. Guess it must be garrius and someone anxious last Saturday didn't see any sprouts though

Seen loads delivered to a local intake today at 29.5%. Guess it must be garrius and someone anxious last Saturday didn't see any sprouts though
Why would you think it was garrus? There must have been some steam off that if it was in a trailer or shed since Saturday !

Don't know only guessing that the grower must had some reason to panic to that degree. 5 artic loads that I seen from 27 upwards

There has being no drying out . I was up in the Beans today and they have taken a battering with individual plants leaning . There are a few dimples in the Spring wheat . With the humidity and temperature there is a lot of sprouting pressure . I have seen very wet wheat sit for days without heating . I think it stayed cool because there was so much water in it . Low prices and high moisture is a recipe for disaster .

Can't bring myself to look at my own, not in good form.
I thought the same but when I went to see it there was hardly no sprouting at all, getting very dark though, is the weather picking up for the weekend?

Managed to get all wheat done week and half ago. JB in 9th year continuous did 3.7 and 78 kph. Direct drilled Lili and Costello after beans both did 5.04 and 77-78 kph. After drying kph went up to 82-83. Coastal here and we were under fog most of last week so a serious relief to have the WW in the bag. Especially after losing 100 acre to storms in winter 2015.

Managed to get all wheat done week and half ago. JB in 9th year continuous did 3.7 and 78 kph. Direct drilled Lili and Costello after beans both did 5.04 and 77-78 kph. After drying kph went up to 82-83. Coastal here and we were under fog most of last week so a serious relief to have the WW in the bag. Especially after losing 100 acre to storms in winter 2015.
Are you going to persist with the continuous wheat? A few have told me they are cutting back or stopping it completely and increasing break crops instead as its a non runner when it yields that much less than first wheats

Are you going to persist with the continuous wheat? A few have told me they are cutting back or stopping it completely and increasing break crops instead as its a non runner when it yields that much less than first wheats
I'd have a break crop in years ago but it's leased ground and the owner insists upon wheat. First year under 4t. Lease finished in a month so I'll be pushing for a break crop if not he can keep it. A good wheat year and there is 1.3t difference between continuous Vs break crop that all got the same treatment. Hard to argue with that.

Finished a field of lili yesterday evening that was 3/4 done last Sunday week. The quality held a lot better than I expected. Before the break in the weather 18 moisture 74 bushel (fair bit of fusarium) and 260 hag and yesterday 19 moisture 71 bushel 220 hag

Finished a field of lili yesterday evening that was 3/4 done last Sunday week. The quality held a lot better than I expected. Before the break in the weather 18 moisture 74 bushel (fair bit of fusarium) and 260 hag and yesterday 19 moisture 71 bushel 220 hag
Is there a reason you test for hagberg?

Is it only me that got a bad yield because of take all in 2nd lea wheat?
We all hear about all the big yields, but not so much about the poorer crops.

Is it only me that got a bad yield because of take all in 2nd lea wheat?
We all hear about all the big yields, but not so much about the poorer crops.
Plenty average crops around from what I'm told . Take all in continuous wheats and bydv seem to be the issues

Back