Winter Wheat 2018

Silage sides drawing grain are the trade mark of muck savages. Will I stick up a few pics of cow shi€e on the steps of the combine?

I must go and put the silage sides back on the 10t trailer and not sell them!

I'd have the loader on too :Whistle2:

You are not really in the big time unless you have a lorry in the field too :smile:

View attachment 57398

Neighbors came in to give the combine a push on today (yesterday). Very nice of them I thought. They were wondering about the €155/ha fodder cropping initiative.

I’d say you’ve a better chance of getting paid those lads than a few I’ve heard about.
One chap had 40ac of barley whole crop sold until he informed the purchasers that he would open the gate once their payments had hit his account. All but one disappeared.

In another case, a guy had 50ac of w/crop w wheat for sale on DD. Lots of tyre kickers turned up. Some haggling about the weaker acre etc.
One guy who was mad to buy most of it said that payment was no bother; some background research revealed that he had no money.

The wheat went through a combine in the end and over a merchants Weighbridge.

Be careful out there lads.

I’d say you’ve a better chance of getting paid those lads than a few I’ve heard about.
One chap had 40ac of barley whole crop sold until he informed the purchasers that he would open the gate once their payments had hit his account. All but one disappeared.

In another case, a guy had 50ac of w/crop w wheat for sale on DD. Lots of tyre kickers turned up. Some haggling about the weaker acre etc.
One guy who was mad to buy most of it said that payment was no bother; some background research revealed that he had no money.

The wheat went through a combine in the end and over a merchants Weighbridge.

Be careful out there lads.

Funnily enough the lads in the pic didn't bring the wallets with them either.

I don’t think our little patch will have any effect on the market.
Just totted up the weights of our winter wheat. All corrected to 20%mc.

The 50ac of Cellule after beans finished up at 4.35tn/ac. High dry ground with the rock close to the surface in areas. It had visibly burnt in over areas.
The block is split in two by a road, one half did 4tn and the other was 4.7.

The trials area (after WOSR) as a whole did 4.9tn. A combination of the plots and the surrounding crop which was Costello and Cellule.

All sown in the first week of November.

823C6C80-FB3A-442A-90C3-870BA09C27F9.jpeg B6906B17-1F4D-4792-8D8D-49FF839F9CDA.jpeg B5AA00C7-B2CE-4BD4-8BAC-671B39ACD0EA.jpeg C23E5771-173E-475A-8C48-2D06044FFF38.jpeg

I don’t think our little patch will have any effect on the market.
Just totted up the weights of our winter wheat. All corrected to 20%mc.

The 50ac of Cellule after beans finished up at 4.35tn/ac. High dry ground with the rock close to the surface in areas. It had visibly burnt in over areas.
The block is split in two by a road, one half did 4tn and the other was 4.7.

The trials area (after WOSR) as a whole did 4.9tn. A combination of the plots and the surrounding crop which was Costello and Cellule.

All sown in the first week of November.

View attachment 57438 View attachment 57439 View attachment 57440 View attachment 57441
That kind of a yield report does no good to the general public........

how about cellule as a second wheat if nov 19 prices stay up @CORK ? Any word on mill quality?

I’ve no reason to say it wouldn’t work as a second wheat. Second wheats have been very poor in general this year although if you were to design a bad second wheat year then this would be it.

Cellule is classed as a milling wheat in France. It’s giving proteins of up to 12.5% in Carlow this year. Hagberg is commonly north of 300 and it has a very high KPH.

I had hesitated in posting but I decided that in a year where we are buried in bad agri news and negativity, perhaps it’s no harm to have some positive news too?
You should keep those yields to yourself, cut what looked like a very good crop all year and 3.3 @16% moisture knocked it out . Good crop of straw though , not a light field so don’t know where the yield went as it was a spotless crop all year and was pushed with the bag and after wosr....

You should keep those yields to yourself, cut what looked like a very good crop all year and 3.3 @16% moisture knocked it out . Good crop of straw though , not a light field so don’t know where the yield went as it was a spotless crop all year and was pushed with the bag and after wosr....
Same craic here, have cut 14 different fields of first wheat since Friday, Diego and Costello, look like averaging 3.3 at 14-17% moisture. Very little between the 2 varieties, was hoping for more from the Costello. Super looking crops all year, did everything right but they ran out of moisture at a critical time.

I cut Costello and parts were eaten by slugs and resowed with spring wheat. The bits next to the resowed where some of the best wheat as they were the wettest part of the field.
If you see a Tillage farmer give him a hug .
The tillage farmer is very popular around you ... around me I have to pretend to be a dairy farmer growing a bit of grain for myself ..., the dairy lads have hugging sessions in the co op every Wednesday at 9:30!!!!

Great yield @CORK , a super achievement in what has been a tremendously difficult year.

Unfortunately your good news is not being replicated around the country, abysmal yields across whole average areas are the norm I'm hearing and witnessing. It's harder to hit a sweet spot on timings with a sprayer and drill that are over worked and covering an area that makes them and the operator sweat in catchy conditions. I know on this farm we operated in less than ideal conditions to get winter crops drilled. Spraying too was a headache trying to hit timings. You have capacity to hit the sweet spot and it seems to make a difference, this year anyway. We are still in the middle of wheat here. Yields are variable to say the least. I am not on the combine as much this year as others, but I was cutting a crop of completely shit 1st wheat yesterday and was relieved when I stepped off it to let the other man take over. We have cut some really good yields in some fields. But across the whole average it's an utterly depressing harvest for most. The yields in the good fields mean nothing. All that matters is the size of the heap in the yard when harvest is over, what it cost to get it there and how it hits the market.

In my opinion breeders have not advanced the cause as much as they like to think they have. My father cut 4.5t crops of wheat in the 80's. It irks me a little too that no one on social media (breeders and multipliers especially) don't post when the latest varieties of wheat absolutely bomb in the 1st slots after rape and beans. It's happening and is ignored when it does or passed off.

Also adjust your yields to 15%, it's an annoyance of mine to see wheat yields especially, quoted at 20%.

I am in no way taking from your yields enjoy the fruits of your year, well done.

Back