Winter Wheat 2019

Patrick Nolan's Thornhill, a depot for Quinn's of Baltinglass. Unfortunately I am old enough to know it as "The Carpenter's in Big Eddie's Newstown".
I'm not old enough to remember that but I drew oats into that yard 10 or 12 years ago. Some impressive sheds there plonked out in the middle of a tillage field and a lot of concrete laid on the lane from what I remember.

Patrick Nolan's Thornhill, a depot for Quinn's of Baltinglass. Unfortunately I am old enough to know it as "The Carpenter's in Big Eddie's Newstown".

I did my work exp for kildalton there in 2008 with Tom and Patrick. Impressive place. I often had people saying “oh your working in carpenters” I always said no I working in Nolan’s. Finally realised after a while it was the same place

Cutting a extermly good crop of winter wheat for a farmer. Was sowed very late in two fields after 5 or 6 years of maize. Headland are patchy enough as conditions were only ok at sowing and also got lots of water damage after heavy rain after sowing as its on a slight hill. Don’t know the variety but will find out tomorrow. The merchant never seen a kph as high. Only one load in so far but 4 trailers full. The load that went in was a moisture of 16.3% with a kph of 83.3. The trailer carrying spring barley carried 12.2t up to 12.6t on average. This load weighed in at 15.4t. Couldn’t believe it when I was told. Guessing the trailer loads it seems to be doing 5t/ac. Will know more tomorrow.

Cut the wheat over over the weekend, disappointed considering some of the reports I’m hearing , a lot of the reason is the weather , cellule did 4 (to be fully confirmed) and graham did 3.7, actually happy enough with the graham as slugs did a job on it and it was very thin , it also failed for seed because of sprouting although there was very little of it.

Cut the wheat over over the weekend, disappointed considering some of the reports I’m hearing , a lot of the reason is the weather , cellule did 4 (to be fully confirmed) and graham did 3.7, actually happy enough with the graham as slugs did a job on it and it was very thin , it also failed for seed because of sprouting although there was very little of it.
I'd take any reports you are hearing with a pinch of salt, still have 50 acres of wheat to cut here but the average yield of what's cut so far would be running in line with our own farm average from 14/15/16 and 2017

Made a start on the last block of wheat yesterday thats outside Templemore. I had glorious sunshine up to 5pm while it was lashing rain at home. A light sprinkle at 5 stopped me for about half an hour but I got going again until half 6 when it spilled. I was fair annoyed as the straw was in powerful order and I had a former member here organised to come bale what I had cut. I don't know yet how it's yielding.

I did my work exp for kildalton there in 2008 with Tom and Patrick. Impressive place. I often had people saying “oh your working in carpenters” I always said no I working in Nolan’s. Finally realised after a while it was the same place
The family were originally from Sandbrook, close to Ballon and because they were so many Nolans each family had to have a nickname, Patrick and Kevin's grandfather and grand uncle were very good builder/tradesmen so they became known as the Carpenters.
Other Nolan nicknames you may know,
Hispec, the Taylors
The Plucker has shops in and around Myshal.
The Cutters have stone works.
The Grassyard, contractors
There were some very funny ones,
Jimmy the Wheelbarrow, use to work for old Paddy and Mick the original Carpenters.
Dinny's Johhny was Red Dinny Nolan's son John.

The family were originally from Sandbrook, close to Ballon and because they were so many Nolans each family had to have a nickname, Patrick and Kevin's grandfather and grand uncle were very good builder/tradesmen so they became known as the Carpenters.
Hispec, the Taylors
Jimmy the Wheelbarrow, use to work for old Paddy and Mick the original Carpenters.
It's the same around here but with Delaney's. There's some right funny nicknames on some of them. Often times you wouldn't know which Delaney your supposed to be to going to until you hear the nickname.

Hispec, the Taylors

Ah I never knew that. Yea I know all them Nolan’s except for the cutters.

Cutting a extermly good crop of winter wheat for a farmer. Was sowed very late in two fields after 5 or 6 years of maize. Headland are patchy enough as conditions were only ok at sowing and also got lots of water damage after heavy rain after sowing as its on a slight hill. Don’t know the variety but will find out tomorrow. The merchant never seen a kph as high. Only one load in so far but 4 trailers full. The load that went in was a moisture of 16.3% with a kph of 83.3. The trailer carrying spring barley carried 12.2t up to 12.6t on average. This load weighed in at 15.4t. Couldn’t believe it when I was told. Guessing the trailer loads it seems to be doing 5t/ac. Will know more tomorrow.

All loads weighed and delivered. Did 5.25t/ac. Well actually 5.249 but sure we will call it 5.25. Going back into maize for next year and two other fields coming out of constant maize to go into wheat
8D5B650A-1D10-4D63-97A9-24FC9630D729.png

Massive looking crop, so uniform. What was the variety?

Headlands weren’t the best but the middle made up for it. The last few years of slurry and dung done the world of good. I have asked the farmer and his son and neither remember the variety. They are dairy and suckler farmers and crops are only used as a source of straw and break crop from 70ac of maize.

Headlands weren’t the best but the middle made up for it. The last few years of slurry and dung done the world of good. I have asked the farmer and his son and neither remember the variety. They are dairy and suckler farmers and crops are only used as a source of straw and break crop from 70ac of maize.

Judging by the KPH I’d suspect that it’s Costello

@Mid cork & @Blackwater boy
Great to meet ye again today especially since I was their for sowing as well. Covered a nice bit today mainly around East Cork. Some very tasty looking crops out there and some welded to the ground.
Only had the one camera with me today and not 2 other specific lens which would have helped with the low light but Im happy enough with the results
The Avensis has a nice bit on the clock and it will be her last harvest season
View attachment 69142 View attachment 69143 View attachment 69144 View attachment 69145

Blackwater Boy on the phone giving out to the lads drawing wondering where trailers were or was he looking for an ice cream....

Drug barons and grain barons drive Ford Focuses to get away from the criminal assets.

I must be in good company with you in the latter category so Bog Man :sweat:

Blackwater Boy on the phone giving out to the lads drawing wondering where trailers were or was he looking for an ice cream....

I must be in good company with you in the latter category so Bog Man :sweat:
I was ringing the agronomist to give him a bollocking as to why it was badly broke down and not yielding aswell as it looked, he only works 10-4.30 weekdays.....

Back