Winter wheat 2020

We started wheat on Friday and another day will finish it. Just like said above to get a few dry days together would be mighty.

I have no idea whether this is oats , barley or wheat.
I passed the field at midday on Friday and there was a bag of seed left on the headland of a stubble field . I passed it again on Saturday . I was surprised at how well it turned up. It was lea this year . Wouldn't have been ploughed in a lifetime. I dont know who has it rented. It's about 3 miles from here heading for TFM country
20191109_133050.jpg

Are any of ye still going to plant in the next week or 10 days if it’s dry enough

Unlikely at this stage.

Weather doesn't look like it will play ball. I was out in the driest field here at home today with the tractor and it is as wet as I've seen it in ages. I was talking to some of the neighbours as well and they are abandoning ship now so I don't want to be the only one calling in the army to deal with crows :blushing:

I would love to say yes because I think Wexford is going to be a flood of spring barley yet....

You wouldn't plough in Kildare this morning.I think land is the wettest it has been all autumn. Some sown areas waterlogged but at least the other 95%of the farm is probably ok. Had a drive around yesterday and most neighbor s farms are the same.
Winter wheat will be very scarce next harvest.

You wouldn't plough in Kildare this morning.I think land is the wettest it has been all autumn. Some sown areas waterlogged but at least the other 95%of the farm is probably ok. Had a drive around yesterday and most neighbor s farms are the same.
Winter wheat will be very scarce next harvest.

yes, wheat will take a big hit. We had 6mm but I hear on the radio that Fairyhouse had 15mm.

Back