Winter Wheat 2021

Right I'm still in shock but I drew the last load of my ww over the weigh bridge this evening and I have the results. Following on from a shite sb crop the wheat has done an astounding yield of 5.05 tonnes an acre at an average moisture of 14% and kph of 78. I'm over the moon as it's the first time in my 17 years of dabbling in tillage that I've broken the 5. Nothing baled yet but straw isn't scarce looking in the swards.
Unbelievable yield. Congratulations. That's a huge turnover per acre. What do you think the secret was? Did you spend high on chemical or fertilizer? Does the land always yield good?

Right I'm still in shock but I drew the last load of my ww over the weigh bridge this evening and I have the results. Following on from a shite sb crop the wheat has done an astounding yield of 5.05 tonnes an acre at an average moisture of 14% and kph of 78. I'm over the moon as it's the first time in my 17 years of dabbling in tillage that I've broken the 5. Nothing baled yet but straw isn't scarce looking in the swards.
What was that wheat after? The moisture was savage low for wheat. Some going.

I suspect its a field that's fresh to tillage. Probally it good heart due to lots of slurry and fym. The weather is really the controlling factor. I have see yields vary over the years on wheat from 3.5 to 5.
Well done BTW.

Neighbour cut a field of ww the other day. It was split last year due to weather, half w oats half s barley. Apparently the half after the s barley was poor in comparison to that after the oats.

Unbelievable yield. Congratulations. That's a huge turnover per acre. What do you think the secret was? Did you spend high on chemical or fertilizer? Does the land always yield good?
Thanks. The last time one of those fields was in ww it did 2.9 ton. That was 2018 though and the drought didn't help that.
I've enough fym to cover all my tillage acres here at home fairly generously which is a huge help I think.

The fym seems to make the difference, the neighbour had a field of WW where half the field had gotten fym before ploughing and he reckons there was a noticeable difference in the crop.

Back