Winter Wheat 2021

You’re in a forgiving part of the country.
Yes, and it is a seed related issue so the plants that are there are reasonably even spaced and vigorous, the year of the Vincet dressed wheat I had similar wheat that did very well. I wish I could get a bag of 12-5-25+S on to it, but I may wait.

Will you leave it? How do you plan on trailering spent on it
Split the first 2 Fert applications onto 3 and an extra CeCeCe + trace elements in Feb, I probably will go with a softer herbicide, the rest will be getting Alister, this will probably only get BLW spray???? but that depends how it looks at the time, probably will cut back the T1 depending on how it looks everything else the same.

Split the first 2 Fert applications onto 3 and an extra CeCeCe + trace elements in Feb, I probably will go with a softer herbicide, the rest will be getting Alister, this will probably only get BLW spray???? but that depends how it looks at the time, probably will cut back the T1 depending on how it looks everything else the same.
Would you not tear it out? Will it yield 3T?

Yes, and it is a seed related issue so the plants that are there are reasonably even spaced and vigorous, the year of the Vincet dressed wheat I had similar wheat that did very well. I wish I could get a bag of 12-5-25+S on to it, but I may wait.
Is your seed supplier working with you on it? We have had a few issues with seed over the years, and have always come to a satisfactory deal. Early fert in some cases and in some areas of the country can at times be warranted, in the case of w wheat if it’s going to be the making or breaking of it then the crop isn’t worth a huge spend, in my opinion. I have learned the hard way. I have learned far more from all the poor crops we have grown on this farm, than any of the barn busters we grew. We also had an agronomist that called a spade a spade and would cut you in two with his opinion of a poor crop.

I think we need to look forward and forget a lot of our old habits, I would include myself in that. Going with v early fert is bad for the optics of our business. We are constantly being watched and monitored, much like any other business sector. If a crop needs early fert to drive it on (often applied before the next spell of bad weather as the ground will travel), well perhaps a different option at planting should be considered.

No member/reader of this tillage section should have a tractor anywhere near a fert spreader this weekend. Stay at home and wait.

I ripped out 10% of our Wheat and Oats in spring 2020 . With mintill it is easy enough to do. If I can see rows even at low plant counts I would leave it. Our wheat looks thick this year but I was surprised that it is averaging around 250 . If I think a crop is only going to yield three tonne I will cut back the spend on it . Have a look at the roots and you will know what the yield is going to be. My brother loves to see snow on winter wheat . I have had good results with early ccc and N but I also have ripped some where I did it.
The hippie thing to do is put in a summer cover crop where wheat fails and live off the royalties of your social media channels.

Is your seed supplier working with you on it? We have had a few issues with seed over the years, and have always come to a satisfactory deal. Early fert in some cases and in some areas of the country can at times be warranted, in the case of w wheat if it’s going to be the making or breaking of it then the crop isn’t worth a huge spend, in my opinion. I have learned the hard way. I have learned far more from all the poor crops we have grown on this farm, than any of the barn busters we grew. We also had an agronomist that called a spade a spade and would cut you in two with his opinion of a poor crop.

I think we need to look forward and forget a lot of our old habits, I would include myself in that. Going with v early fert is bad for the optics of our business. We are constantly being watched and monitored, much like any other business sector. If a crop needs early fert to drive it on (often applied before the next spell of bad weather as the ground will travel), well perhaps a different option at planting should be considered.

No member/reader of this tillage section should have a tractor anywhere near a fert spreader this weekend. Stay at home and wait.
I am failing to follow what you are trying to convey, do you think the ban on spreading Fert and Slurry should be extended till the end of Feb?
I will be going with 125kg/ha of 12-5-25+S on about 6ha as soon as conditions are good enough, if the year had been dryer it would have been spread this week, but conditions are not so I will wait till they are good. I will be sticking rigidly and religiously to the Code of Good Farming Practice, I will not be braking any laws or bending any rules, everything will be above board and done to the best of my abilities, I will do my very best to make sure I don't sully the name of wheat farmers in Ireland. I will try to be there when it is being spread to take pics which I will post up here.
I don't know what old habits you think I need to change, but to be clear I have only spread early fert on small areas of winter corn about 5 other times in the last 30 odd years, even though the Nitrates directive allows for fert to be spread here in the Banana belt from January 12th.
The Merchant's Rep and the Seed dressing company's Rep have looked at the crop and the 3 of us have agreed that a small bit of early NPK and CeCeCe is the way to go, unfortunately between the 3 of us we have over 100 years of old habits leading to there being more talk about the thin Vincet dressed crops we all managed in different ways back in the mid Nineties, than crops from last year or the year before, so a lot of bad habits to change, or experience to draw on?
I got 2 bags of bad seed, out of 16 bags, all the same batch and lot,all look perfect and nothing to indicate that there was a problem, in fact we still don't know what the problem was, what other options should I have considered at planting?
Fert and Slurry are really getting me in a lot of shit on here this year.

I won’t be spending any fert on our damaged wheat this weekend.

Because I did it a couple of weeks ago.

Once it’s legal, there are no hard and fast rules as to how to manage a crop that’s struggling. Every good grower (+/- agronomist) will know their land, crop and local climate better than anyone - it’s up to them to manage it as best as they see fit.
That’s what being a farmer is largely about.

It must be six or seven years ago now, I spread about 30 units on winter barley at approximately 10th February.
The following Friday was Valentine’s Day and there was also a referendum the same day.
Over a 24hr period we received 3” of rain, it was a record breaking event and a lake appeared for a day on some free draining land here than nobody had seen occur in living memory.

I was sure all of the fert was in the sea at this stage. When the weather settled again, the barley absolutely took off whereas other unfertilised crops looked hungry as a dry harsh period followed. The fertilised crops also yielded better than average.

I am failing to follow what you are trying to convey, do you think the ban on spreading Fert and Slurry should be extended till the end of Feb?
I will be going with 125kg/ha of 12-5-25+S on about 6ha as soon as conditions are good enough, if the year had been dryer it would have been spread this week, but conditions are not so I will wait till they are good. I will be sticking rigidly and religiously to the Code of Good Farming Practice, I will not be braking any laws or bending any rules, everything will be above board and done to the best of my abilities, I will do my very best to make sure I don't sully the name of wheat farmers in Ireland. I will try to be there when it is being spread to take pics which I will post up here.
I don't know what old habits you think I need to change, but to be clear I have only spread early fert on small areas of winter corn about 5 other times in the last 30 odd years, even though the Nitrates directive allows for fert to be spread here in the Banana belt from January 12th.
The Merchant's Rep and the Seed dressing company's Rep have looked at the crop and the 3 of us have agreed that a small bit of early NPK and CeCeCe is the way to go, unfortunately between the 3 of us we have over 100 years of old habits leading to there being more talk about the thin Vincet dressed crops we all managed in different ways back in the mid Nineties, than crops from last year or the year before, so a lot of bad habits to change, or experience to draw on?
I got 2 bags of bad seed, out of 16 bags, all the same batch and lot,all look perfect and nothing to indicate that there was a problem, in fact we still don't know what the problem was, what other options should I have considered at planting?
Fert and Slurry are really getting me in a lot of shit on here this year.
Maybe I should not have quoted your message in my above post. It wasn’t directed at you, it was more a general comment, so don’t take offence.

Carlow and parts of Cork for example are easier more forgiving parts of the country. I know in my county a different approach needs to be adopted to nutrition and agronomy in the south compared to the north of the county, at times.

I wasn’t suggesting you need to change anything, I am more than sure you know your soil conditions and abilities of your farm better than anyone. Every year is different. Fert in Jan would be fine in some years/cases, indeed so would slurry in December in some years and conditions, the rules we have to abide by are a different conversation, there is enough hot headed and over zealous opinion on other threads regarding slurry and water quality. It’s hard to see balance to enter debate on those threads to be honest.

A grower coming onto a forum looking for advice about spreading fert before a very bad forecast should be encouraged to hold off from spreading until conditions allow. Fertiliser is expensive enough without having losses to the river as suggested above, perhaps in jest.

Maybe I should not have quoted your message in my above post. It wasn’t directed at you, it was more a general comment, so don’t take offence.

Carlow and parts of Cork for example are easier more forgiving parts of the country. I know in my county a different approach needs to be adopted to nutrition and agronomy in the south compared to the north of the county, at times.

I wasn’t suggesting you need to change anything, I am more than sure you know your soil conditions and abilities of your farm better than anyone. Every year is different. Fert in Jan would be fine in some years/cases, indeed so would slurry in December in some years and conditions, the rules we have to abide by are a different conversation, there is enough hot headed and over zealous opinion on other threads regarding slurry and water quality. It’s hard to see balance to enter debate on those threads to be honest.

A grower coming onto a forum looking for advice about spreading fert before a very bad forecast should be encouraged to hold off from spreading until conditions allow. Fertiliser is expensive enough without having losses to the river as suggested above, perhaps in jest.
No offence taken in any way, tried to answer why I decide to spread early on occasion when I have thin crops. I was wondering was it more to do with another reply I had made.
I was slow to reply to @Masseyrk662 because of the differences between here and there, but I think my reply was fair enough. I think if the ground is trafficable without damage, not frozen and the forecast is OK for the next few days, that is meeting all the requirements in the code of good farming practice.
Again no offence taken and hopefully none caused, I did think about your post, which is good and wondered what way I should reply also good for the forum now and again.

......,r
Maybe so but seeing rows is north of 200 plants, you can make a crop of that. You need 150 I think, any less is just bolloxing
Well normally I'd like to have anywhere from 450 to 600/m2 heads of wheat come harvest, I've found wheat can still yield with head counts of 350/m2 I suppose it depends on condition of the plant and its ability to tiller and more importantly soil conditions inderneath

In my experience, damaged crops are rarely uniform (except perhaps where seed is an issue).
In most cases, part of the field might be fine, part is okish and part absolutely crap.
It’s hard to find an optimum approach for such cases.

In my experience, damaged crops are rarely uniform (except perhaps where seed is an issue).
In most cases, part of the field might be fine, part is okish and part absolutely crap.
It’s hard to find an optimum approach for such cases.
That is one of the reasons I am not too worried about this crop, even though it is very very thin, it is even, very rarely happens that a thin crop is even. It make managing it so much easier.

Depending on weather it was often Paddy’s Day before winter crops got any fert in previous years . Never did them any harm
The annual Yella Barley competition is due to commence
Waiting on @Blackwater boy and @Cork to sponsor the prizes
Strong firms
I’m donating limited edition tickets to the Goldcrop open day VIP area.
All the sausage rolls one can eat and you’ll get to meet me.

1st prize is one ticket
2nd prize is five tickets

Appreciate all the replies, as ye know this is my first growing winter cereals and you really cannot best expeirence at the end of the day.
The main thing I learned is if anyone here ever insults me I’m going to sneak onto their farm before March and spread fertiliser to get revenge

Appreciate all the replies, as ye know this is my first growing winter cereals and you really cannot best expeirence at the end of the day.
The main thing I learned is if anyone here ever insults me I’m going to sneak onto their farm before March and spread fertiliser to get revenge
John Deere are better than Massey........ I assume you’re supplying the fertiliser also 😉😉

What can I insult you on 1st... I have 18ac you bring the sul can with you??..😄

Not wheat related, but the first field work I'll be doing is spraying manganese on WB. Cold weather in late spring soon shows any deficiencies!
Soon afterwards if its travelling, things will get a tickle with fertiliser, not to make it grow, but hold it where it is..
Hindsight is wonderful, but if I'm not back on for a month or so it'll certainly help my mental health!

Sure next weekend only leaves us a fortnight off March.
Given the climate here now, fertiliser could end up in the river any month 🙄

Back