Winter Wheat 2021

Not that it matters, but is it Greater Brome rather than Sterile Brome???
Both have to be treated the same, just wondering out of interest.

Graham, min-tilled in less than ideal conditions.

Attachments

• B0B9F9B8-50C2-4C28-994C-2CE2480824B5.png
    B0B9F9B8-50C2-4C28-994C-2CE2480824B5.png
    905.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 093F1316-C4E7-412F-B81A-F219927BC305.png
    093F1316-C4E7-412F-B81A-F219927BC305.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • 83AE18EC-4228-4D96-9E4F-E30848C09588.png
    83AE18EC-4228-4D96-9E4F-E30848C09588.png
    787.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 85E67210-A75E-4179-A3C5-6B69BD881A35.png
    85E67210-A75E-4179-A3C5-6B69BD881A35.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
  • A94C170B-2A27-4145-B604-FF1DE7D9B2A5.png
    A94C170B-2A27-4145-B604-FF1DE7D9B2A5.png
    976.5 KB · Views: 52
View attachment 93982
@Ugo Schtiglitz this is a leaf test done on that wheat field with the mildew. The sample was taken the day before the head spray.
That is really interesting, :thumbup1:
I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions.
Would you ever see any Manganese deficiency, as those levels would never be attainable here?
I always put in good rates of Zinc if I am spraying for mildew, do you think Zn and Cu are linked to the mildew? and should I be adding more Cu when spraying mildew?
What sort of K reading was in the soil test and what K fert did it get and when? I am coming to the opinion that you can't put out enough K for a big crop of winter corn and some of it needs to be held back till GS31

Last edited:
Would you ever see any Manganese deficiency, as those levels would never be attainable here?
I always put in good rates of Zinc if I am spraying for mildew, do you think Zn and Cu are linked to the mildew? and should I be adding more Cu when spraying mildew?
What sort of K reading was in the soil test and what K fert did it get and when? I am coming to the opinion that you can't put out enough K for a big crop of winter corn and some of it needs to be held back till GS31
Low K is probably reflecting peak demand. Wouldn't worry too much. copper and zinc would be the hints there, if you were of the hippy persuasion, copper and some form of sulphur for mildew. And zinc I'd guess is high background soil phosphorous. 1624978726259.png
1624978726259.png

I always put in good rates of Zinc if I am spraying for mildew, do you think Zn and Cu are linked to the mildew? and should I me adding more Cu when spraying mildew?
What sort of K reading was in the soil test and what K fert did it get and when? I am coming to the opinion that you can't put out enough K for a big crop of winter corn and some of needs to be held back till GS31
This field is 4P and 3K and received 4.25bags of 13-5-25. First 2 on 8th March and then 2.25 on the 25th March. It has 36 units of sulphur on it. P is 10mg/l and K is 110 continuous tillage with 50 years but receives slurry and or dung and has a good rotation going on, received 2T of lime per acre in the stubbles last autumn as PH was 6.2. I’ve never seen MN deficiency in this land but it does get 1 dose of it per year, about 300 grams.
it got zinc and cu aswell, 100G cu and 80 zinc. No clue of whether these added to the mildew but the variety has a known weakness and I’m not the only one with it.
The crop got 6kgs per ha of epsocombitop and 150grams of boron at the head spray. I’m happy with the leaf tests as noting showed up low, they were taken in a period of rapid growth.

This field is 4P and 3K and received 4.25bags of 13-5-25. First 2 on 8th March and then 2.25 on the 25th March. It has 36 units of sulphur on it. P is 10mg/l and K is 110 continuous tillage with 50 years but receives slurry and or dung and has a good rotation going on, received 2T of lime per acre in the stubbles last autumn as PH was 6.2. I’ve never seen MN deficiency in this land but it does get 1 dose of it per year, about 300 grams.
it got zinc and cu aswell, 100G cu and 80 zinc. No clue of whether these added to the mildew but the variety has a known weakness and I’m not the only one with it.
The crop got 6kgs per ha of epsocombitop and 150grams of boron at the head spray. I’m happy with the leaf tests as noting showed up low, they were taken in a period of rapid growth.
Yeah, nothing wrong with those results, I just have this mad notion that Zn really helps with mildew control, I always put extra on anywhere mildew is an issue. I am thinking of going back to 10/10/20 for basic fert and spread 50%K at GS31. Not sure it will be of any help, just a mad notion.
Thanks

Yeah, nothing wrong with those results, I just have this mad notion that Zn really helps with mildew control, I always put extra on anywhere mildew is an issue. I am thinking of going back to 10/10/20 for basic fert and spread 50%K at GS31. Not sure it will be of any help, just a mad notion.
Thanks
10-10-20 is the cheapest and best form of P

Very interesting and thanks for posting. I'm always just curious if a disease like mildew pops up, is there a nutritional reason for it or just a variety weakness or whatever.

A dense lush crop in high OM soils creates an ideal microclimate for mildew, particularly in your part of the country. Curious about the boron on the head spray. Do you always apply? I applied it in the flag leaf wheat spray last year as it's meant to help damage limitation in a drought. Wheat yielded well after. Didn't include it this year as soil moisture wasn't an issue but maybe it's something to consider every year. Leaf tissue analysis provides great information even if it's only a snapshot in time.

A dense lush crop in high OM soils creates an ideal microclimate for mildew, particularly in your part of the country. Curious about the boron on the head spray. Do you always apply? I applied it in the flag leaf wheat spray last year as it's meant to help damage limitation in a drought. Wheat yielded well after. Didn't include it this year as soil moisture wasn't an issue but maybe it's something to consider every year. Leaf tissue analysis provides great information even if it's only a snapshot in time.
Yes this is my 3rd year at boron with head spray on all crops. Soil tests are usually on the low side for boron here as we do not grow any beet or oilseed rape anymore

I have plenty of wheat that is not near as good, made all my mistakes in the wheat this year, must put up some pics, but I am trying to ignore them for the moment.
Wheat can be more forgiving, don't lose hope. We have a few similar wheat crops.
A man not far here who ended up with a lodged crop of barley in the field behind his house would not let his wife open the blinds till after harvest. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Back